Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 08:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times

Advertisements

Tattoos don't necessarily indicate stupidity, but neck tats, sloppy tats, and prison tats do show a lack of foresight (which is a characteristic of people who have been imprisoned anyway). Neck tats especially put me on my guard, unless of course they're on a professional tattoo artist's neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Tattoos don't necessarily indicate stupidity, but neck tats, sloppy tats, and prison tats do show a lack of foresight (which is a characteristic of people who have been imprisoned anyway). Neck tats especially put me on my guard, unless of course they're on a professional tattoo artist's neck.
Yeah, there is a very small segment of the population where I feel like neck tattoos, ink on the top of a bald head, basically the sort of thing that is super visible no matter what, is appropriate. And it all comes down to what you do for a living. If you're a creative professional, such as an artist or musician, and your social circles are accepting of your look, then you really don't have a problem. The rest of the world can look at these people and huff and stick their noses in the air and assume you're some kind of degenerate with no future...you know better. But like in any area of life, you've got to hedge your bets and make sure that your creative gig isn't going to fall out from under you and leave you high and dry one day. But then, how many "respectable" professions have that possibility? Outsourcing and all sorts of things can leave "normal" people high and dry.

I'll tell you one thing...I have known more shady, sketchy losers with very limited futures, who have either no tattoos at all or just a few that are easily hidden, than I have those covered with them.

I do raise an eyebrow at very low quality work, when someone allows an amateur to scratch on them or worse tries to do it themselves, that's showing that you haven't really looked into this despite the fact that it is permanent, and you've decided to live with your mistake on display rather than get a nice cover-up...it isn't just prison where this happens, I've known teens who had their stoner friends ink them with improvised tools. We all do dumb things as kids, sure, but why haven't you got that covered by age 30? Come on... Not that it's my place to judge, really. *shrug* Just an opinion.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:50 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Paradoxically not having a tattoo is now the cool thing to do.

There is also a certain class of person that will never get a tattoo. And you know who they are!
This is good to know. I am one that will never get a tattoo. For one thing, I almost never think about it. When I do think about it I can't think of anything I want permanently on me and I don't want to spend the money or the time sitting there getting it done. Even though I am in the minority I am now at an age where I don't care.

I agree though, that because tattoos are so widespread it's impossible to judge people by that. Probably almost everyone I know has one. I am not sure that I even really notice them anymore unless they are really big or on the face or neck.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:55 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
This is good to know. I am one that will never get a tattoo. For one thing, I almost never think about it. When I do think about it I can't think of anything I want permanently on me and I don't want to spend the money or the time sitting there getting it done. Even though I am in the minority I am now at an age where I don't care.

Lets face face, most tattooed folks are just followers, nothing else. The same old lame tattoos over and over again in the same spots. Most women that got tramp stamps did it when they were 18 years old and drunk, they had no clue.

Folks without a tattoos are now the cool ones. When I go to the gym 99% of folks have them. I say to myself-----"get a life!"

Quote:
I agree though, that because tattoos are so widespread it's impossible to judge people by that. Probably almost everyone I know has one. I am not sure that I even really notice them anymore unless they are really big or on the face or neck.
True, most tattooed people are as nice and everyone else and get a bad rap when they are lumped with the criminal elements that is heavily tattooed.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:13 PM

16 posts, read 14,373 times
Hysterical thread. What a troll.

As it's on 'Psychology" forum, I'll be sure to let my therapist know. You know, the guy who has a doctorate and helps addicts and geriatrics for a living. And people with bi-polar and depression. And has at least two full-color sleeves and tattoos up to his collar line....

Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
To even have this discussion in the first place reflects just another human weakness of stereotyping and assuming. In general I hate the human race for such thoughts as the OP. I hate the fact that humans don't understand individualism. People express themselves differently. And if you are going to judge people, they should be judged on their actions in life. There are many ways to distinguish good and bad (committing a crime of murder or rape for instance) - wearing a tattoo and assuming one to be of lesser intelligence IMO is a reflection of poor character on the person making the assumption, not on me who is being judged.

A gang member with a tattoo kills someone who has a full sleeve - a surgeon who saves peoples lives who has a full sleeve. So where is the correlation of the tattoo to the human being wearing them?

Please don't start looking up and throwing at me statistics. I'm a CPA, a numbers guy, and I know that statistics can be skewed in so many ways and not tell the story as it should be.

As a blue collar professional, I chose to have my tattoos (2) put on each upper arm so a short sleeved shirt would cover them. In actuality, that shows a form of weakness in myself because I caved into that mentality to which the OP suggests and didn't want to deal with me being looked at differently just because I have tattoos.

To me a tattoo is art. In my case, on top of the reason above, I have the tattoos for me and no one else. I don't feel the need to constantly have them being shown. I look at other peoples tattoos and will comment when I see one I like.

As a 55 year older, I get many surprised looks when I wear a tank top showing the tattoos and listening to heavy metal music. Those are my personal choices of enjoyment, and it's sad that I should be judged on such choices. I didn't hurt anyone, so why should I be pigeon-holed in a corner because others don't consider my tattoo or music "normal" - a generational assumption.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:34 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
I don't believe that statement to hold true...at least not anymore (if it ever was really true)...years ago it had more of an edgy appeal...today it's become mainstream...however I do believe that people who tattoo their entire body or anywhere on their face have deeper issues they are trying to express...

Old 04-27-2015, 08:16 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

A gang member with a tattoo kills someone who has a full sleeve - a surgeon who saves peoples lives who has a full sleeve. So where is the correlation of the tattoo to the human being wearing them?
A brain surgeon with tattoos is quite rare; the exception to the rule. Thugs and gang members with tattoos are the norm.

Sadly stereotyping is often based on reality.

You are wise to hide your tattoos.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:21 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
I agree with the OP. It seems to be mostly the lower class people and the people who have less wealth who have tattoos. I think most tattoos are tacky and look trashy, especially on women.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Hmmm my over boss, head of IT Europe, has some big tats and he is pretty smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology