Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:39 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I call these conspiracies.. but I'll refer to them as such for the purpose of this post.

Basically, think of them as when people suspect established institutions (i.e. companies, organizations, schools, governments, etc.) of having a hidden agenda.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll give this one example of a review of the app "YELP". Basically, the reader believes the purpose of this app is to hold businesses hostage and extort huge fees out of them to get rid of bad reviews (rather than the "intended" purpose of regular people reviewing businesses.)

Am I just naiive or is there something psychologically "off" about the people who construct and believe in these sorts of conspiracies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times
To put it into prospective think of conspiracies that really happened. Here is just a sampling.

7 Insane Conspiracies That Actually Happened | Cracked.com

Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
I wouldn't say people who have those fears are "psychologically off"..maybe just very cautious. Maybe they've been burned before and refuse to let it happen again...maybe it's not a "conspiracy". maybe they're right. Maybe the real conspiracy is to have people believe that it's not.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:37 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Considering our government's history, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss conspiracy theories. Forced sterilization of undesirables, illegal human testing without the test subjects' knowledge, and many other historical events are all factual.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
To put it into prospective think of conspiracies that really happened. Here is just a sampling.

7 Insane Conspiracies That Actually Happened | Cracked.com

How are these necessarily "insane conspiracies" in the sense that the OP meant "insane conspiracies", ie, seeing "bogeymen" behind every apparently benign, inconsequential action of every institution? None of these fit that description IMO.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
OH-I do think the wealthy have a hidden agenda,,, to get wealthier... off our backs- and become as a 3rd world country.we just were talking bout the poverty line 18K per family of 4?? are you kidding me, $500 a mo for 4? and the middle income is shrinking faster than the ice in the Iceland. A plot or reality in our noses?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” ― Joseph Heller, author of Catch-22

Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
I think that many people like conspirarcies because psychologically it's easier to accept a wild crazy hare-brained plot than it is to wrap their minds around a simple explanation that is just too difficult to accept.

All those JFK conspiracies come to mind: Much easier and pyschologically comfortable for many folks to belive in a massive conspiracy and cover up about his assassination than it is to believe that one crazy guy with a gun shot the president and changed history.

How about those folks convinced that we never landed a man on the moon and that the whole thing was filmed on a television set someplace? A nation with the resources and expertise to put men in space and on the moon -- and do it in 1969 when the nation is in massive social upheaval -- scares the hell of of these folks. If they can do that they can do anything! That's a very scary possibility to some people. It's easier to believe the whole damn thing was faked.

Or how about the conspiracy that AIDS was a man-made virus deliberately spread by the US military (or some other non-accountable agent)? That's a lot less frighteneing than believing a fatal virus could develop spontaneously in monkeys and leap to humankind where it kills indiscriminately. Could nature really be that cruel?

For some people its easier to believe that the Americans or the Jews or whoever else were really behind the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The idea that there are enemies of the West who would deliberately kill thousands of innocents is just too terrifying for them to handle. So they make up some weird conspiracy with people they know 'cause that's easier to live with.

Those are just the example I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. What they all have in common is that the truth, for the conspiracy theorists, is somehow far more frightening than anything they could make up, no matter how silly or implausible it is in the cold light of day.

Last edited by citylove101; 11-15-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,653 times
I have a theory that people who believe Conspiracy Theories are actually smart people but who most often did not attend college. This isn't a knock on people who don't go to college, but rather... let me just provide my reasoning.

I think you'll find that the average conspiracy theorist, again is smart, but also has a libertarian/independent streak, who already has a bias against the government/institutions. Who has the faculties to make decisions and connections, but didn't learn how to make these connections though higher level reasoning, from say, academia. Or was so against the institution of academia that they made their own connections, found like conspiracy theorists and went to town.

It is a person who is creative, yet misguided.

Most of the proof of conspiracy is gathered piecemeal from a wide blanket, but like reading tea-leaves, there is a lot of contradictory evidence and examples against.

Personally, this is just what I've seen.
---

I personally hate conspiracy theories and theorists, because 1. They just muddle the way to the truth, 2. Most are so adamant that they are right. And equally as adamant that you're a "sheeple" if you disagree. Dogma such as this gets an immediate dismissal in my book. (I may be straw manning, but I'm sure you've met that one guy like this).

The Truth sometimes is unknowable and the fatal flaw of conspiracy theorists is that they NEED to know. It becomes an obsession, and ultimately their demise.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:10 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
well some are non factual but some have some weight,,, and to beat it all into reality- see - the Preppers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology