Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 01:50 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post

I understand posting pictures of travel or home improvement projects or food you made, or even fun times you're having with your friends and family, but posting pictures of just yourself or of your daily activities or over sharing really personal things is puzzling to me. Any way you slice it, what purpose is there in posting a picture of yourself (aside from your profile picture) except for validation from others either out of insecurity or being just really arrogant and into yourself. I think it's weird and I think normal happy healthy people don't feel the need to document their every move on a social network. It doesn't ruin my life and I'm not going to whine or complain, and yes I do hide or delete people who are like this, but I still think it's bizarre behavior.
I though this thread was specifically about people posting their children, vacations & new homes (hence the jealousy comment), not about idiots posting selfies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 01:54 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I though this thread was specifically about people posting their children, vacations & new homes (hence the jealousy comment), not about idiots posting selfies.
I posted a picture of my daughter doing duck face at 8 months old lol.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Do I know you? LOL My husband & I are taking our kids and grandkids to Disney and posting pictures of them. And I have a friend also with a unique job that takes a lot of business trips all over the world.

Probably not, but the coincidence is funny!

Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Quote:
Excuse me. Isn't posting a selfie showing off? Otherwise why would you take one?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:40 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I came upon an article on a techie-oriented website that explores this very topic:

Why Do Our Friends Show Off On Facebook?

I, too, have noticed that a lot of my Facebook buddies love to put pictures of themselves at different destinations, fancy restaurants, etc. The author seems to frown upon this, but I really see nothing wrong with it -- so long as the person isn't flaunting every expensive item in her closet. That can get old really fast.

I think people do it because it just isn't feasible to show everyone your stuff in person, especially since many of our friends and relatives live in other states or abroad. I agree with the author that it depends on the person -- a lot of people neither have Facebook nor an interest in displaying photos of their houses out there on the internet.

How do you feel about this?
I feel like it's a front. I have a friend who does this ALL the time. She makes it a point to shoot pictures of her at particular angles at hang outs at every outing, no matter what, like celebrity status style.

Pretty self-absorbed behavior.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:01 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
It's social media. Isn't that what it's for?

Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Agree. I use facebook as a photo album and sort of diary/travelogue of my interests, observations and adventures in life with my friends and family. If people don't want to see it, I fully expect them to hide me. I don't mind a bit.
Absolutely! Isn't that what facebook is for? Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I have a friend who is posting pictures of her family trip to Disney with her daughter, husband and extended family. Do I want to see them? Oh hell yes! I want to see pictures of my friends' children, vacations, important life events, pets, etc. Two of my friends have very unique jobs and post frequent pictures of the projects they are working on or the business trips they are taking - yes, I want to see those too.

If they are excessive in their posting, either block their posts or un-friend them. It's rather simple. I did that with one guy who would constantly post bizarre political rants.

What I find to be very different is the "holiday letter" - sometimes they are great to receive, but sometimes they just get ridiculously bragging. I had one friend that actually went into the debate over color scheme they had while redoing the kitchen. And then they inserted a pointless fact about a Christmas tradition in a foreign country. Come to think of it... I've blocked him on facebook. I guess my point was that if you're sending a letter with the highlights of your year, it shouldn't be including discussions of decor.

Look, I think "smugness" vs. "enthusiasm" is where the line is. Are they posting it to brag or posting it to share their joy? If you know the person well, this is fairly easy to figure out.
Hell YES, I want to see them too! I want to see your kids; your beach photos; your new puppy, whatever. I like looking at the pictures. Heck, I even like that damn grumpy cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
You are right not all but most people use facebook to connect with old friends and classmates. Why would i want facebook for my current friends and family? I visit my family and friends I show them and talk about things in person. If I have friends and family out of state I call them, text them or email them.
Obviously, facebook is not for you. Much better to come here and complain about it.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I can't say what most folk do. My extended family primarily uses Facebook. There's a couple dozen of us and we're not calling and I hate texting. For that matter i don't use email so much but IM'img. We also keep memorial pages for a few of our deceased loved ones. And most recently I used Facebook invites for my daughter's b-day party. Yes, I was too lazy to follow through with evite and forget mailing invitations. I just caved and used Facebook. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to connect with people from the past, but the utility of Facebook is nice to have when people's schedules are all over the place and you can pretty much reach out to most people in your life from one place.
This! I don't really have any local relatives, outside of immediate family and a couple of random cousins, since we moved here from the east coast in 1983. And between the time zone differences, my WEIRD schedule (work mostly nights & weekends), etc, calling or emailing everyone in my extended family regularly just isn't feasible. Thanks to Facebook I have actually become closer to some of those relatives, and learned things about their lives I never would have known otherwise... that might sound weird or sad to some folks, but how often do you call that second-cousin or great-aunt across the country, just to tell them you got a promotion? Or that little Johnny scored his first goal? Now we can post photos or updates on FB instead, and reach everyone within minutes. Isn't this supposedly the purpose of social media?

Of course some people abuse this system, posting about everything from a trip to a fart... but those are the ones I stop following, or un-friend if it's really bad. Most of the people I keep on my newsfeed generally post what I care to see, like adorable photos of their children or pertinent news about their lives. I don't update my own page very often, maybe once a week at most, or when something worth posting about happens. Don't really do the selfies either, LOL. Speaking of which, for those who abuse the word SELFIE, it specifically means a picture you took of yourself.

Anyway, if it really bothers anyone that much I have a simple solution - don't use Facebook. Either that, or set up your page so it's only following people you find interesting. See, that's the whole beauty of it! It is funny how those who complain about FB almost always have an account, when I'm pretty sure it isn't required by the government to join. Not yet, at least.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-30-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
P.S. At least in my family, we've also begun using it as a photo-sharing source... my sister often posts photos of my niece & nephew, which I can then easily save to my phone or computer. We used to use Shutterfly for this purpose, but I find FB to be much easier unless I actually want a hard/printed copy. I see them frequently in person too, but my BIL takes awesome photos I enjoy keeping for myself.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-30-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
insecurity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology