Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:30 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,840,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
In general, on weeknights we have the kids' activities (max of 2 activities per kid), and whoever is not at an activity goes on a family walk/bike ride around the neighborhood after dinner.

Once a week, hubby plays pick-up soccer with the boys. Once a month, I play Bunco with the girls. I have a few friends I may meet up with once a month or so on a weekday - we go get ice cream, or out to lunch, or go to a book signing or even to the ballet.

We generally have one or two things planned on the weekend. That plan might be my kid's soccer game. A birthday party for a good friend's child. One of our board game parties (held every 6-8 weeks). A morning at the zoo or the natural history museum (we're members of both), or, when I'm feeling particularly nuts, a trip to the water park. Hubby and I have season tickets to the local theater, so we see plays 8 or 9 times a year. Occasionally we go to the symphony, or the free concerts the city hosts on Friday nights in April - June.

Every other Saturday, we have a planned trip to the library. The kids have an hour to find new books, explore the games available, etc. On alternate Saturdays, we're doing a park tour. We pick a park we've never been to before, and we all go explore and play for a few hours.

We try to schedule downtime on the weekend too, at least 2 out of the 4 weekends of the month. Time for the kids to play and the grownups to relax. On the weekends we have absolutely nothing (or very little) planned, my 8-year-old goes CRAZY. Since she was born, she has wanted constant stimulation. Now she has a chore chart - if she's bored, she can pick a chore
Oh my God, this all sounds like a nightmare to me! I could NOT handle all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,517,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I'm curious how often people are "entertained." I know that entertain is a relative term, but how often do some of you on here have something planned? I have family who seem to think that a person should have something planned all the time. If I have any sort of downtime when I'm not asleep or at work it seems that they always ask what I have planned , what I am doing that day, or what I did all day. While it could be written off as making conversation, they take it a step further to what could almost be considered interrogation. I also know quite a few people who always have to go out to the bars on weekends as there is not much to do in our rural location. I am not that into the bar scene and would prefer to save money for things like traveling or to buy outdoor gear. People seem to think that translates to me not doing anything even though I may have been out in the outdoors all that day.

While I do get like to get out and have things to do, I don't expect to have something planned all the time and I don't mind a little bit of down time here and there. It seems that people deal in extremes on this. Even if I lived in a big city, I wouldn't expect to be entertained all the time as most of that does cost money.

Thoughts on the subject?
I did this for a long time in order to live up to external views of right, wrong and acceptable. If you don't get out and socialize, there must be something wrong with you. I like to get out to enjoy the weather, walk and get some air. That is entertaining to me. My desire to be around a bunch of people is minimal.

I think a good number of these people you are referring don't like being alone. This leaves them with nothing but their thoughts; with reality. It's just not all that pleasant for a lot of folks.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:15 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,021,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
There are certain people I work with who I avoid discussing weekend plans with. I call them the inquisitors. They always seem to think a person should have exciting plans. They're really bad if you miss a work party.
So true. And sometimes, those inquisitors are hoping you'll ask them in return so they can talk about what they did.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 PM

10,307 posts, read 13,840,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I did this for a long time in order to live up to external views of right, wrong and acceptable. If you don't get out and socialize, there must be something wrong with you. I like to get out to enjoy the weather, walk and get some air. That is entertaining to me. My desire to be around a bunch of people is minimal.

I think a good number of these people you are referring don't like being alone. This leaves them with nothing but their thoughts; with reality. It's just not all that pleasant for a lot of folks.
What I find strange is that the family members who ask me this are the ones who constantly have their TVs on and don't leave their houses too much. These are able bodied people as well. They hardly ever have something fun and exciting planned but seem to think I do. I can see asking this to make conversation but they poke and prod when they ask.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM

7,022 posts, read 14,442,452 times
This is what Nassim Taleb would probably refer to as "Touristification":

Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,257,490 times
I'm almost always entertained. The internet is amazing for me. I can research stuff for hours.

I have tons of hobbies, and I actually like being around my wife, so I'm never really bored.

I can get restless sometimes, and need to leave the house or take a road trip, but that's pretty rare. And sometimes I just want to see some friends.

So as far as "planned" stuff goes, my wife and I will have maybe one or two things planned, everything else is kinda off the cuff.

As for "downtime," I haven't really "turned-off" in a long while. These past couple of years have been stressful (for multiple reasons) and I'm hoping things will calm down near years-end. We do take walks in our neighborhood, which gives us a nice break from everything, so there's that.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:42 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,268,508 times
I follow a few TV shows, one of which has been genuinely entertaining of late, A Place To Call Home. It's a quite wonderful series set in Australia during the 1950's with superb production values, wonderful writing, and very good acting. I feel I've been quite richly entertained by this show, and that's been wonderful. I spend a lot of time bored otherwise.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:15 AM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
I'm usually always entertained as well. This forum entertains me a lot and I find interesting things to do no matter what I'm doing (or not, I can just sit and think for hours sometimes but that entertains ME if nobody else!)

I am socially active though, I go out to events, play games, visit people, etc. a few times a week.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:12 PM

10,307 posts, read 13,840,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

It does seem that there is a problem people have with those who don't always socialize. I guess I like a balance of social and downtime.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 AM

3,484 posts, read 6,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This can be a residual effect of the "Protestant work ethic" where people are uncomfortable if they are not always Doing Something, even if it's a planned leisure activity.
An astute observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology