Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 05:30 PM

277 posts, read 689,075 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if other people experience this or . . it's just me?

Everything in my life is so very complicated. Most of the time, when I do a simple thing like pay a bill or respond to something I've received in the mail, it turns into an ordeal of some sort.

Recently, I received a notice from the IRS (which I disputed because I had the proof to back up that THEY were wrong) and when I returned the paperwork, they processed it incorrectly - basically the exact opposite of what I had sent them even though it was exceedingly clear and I kept copies of what I had sent. I checked the "disagree" box on the form and they entered as though I had "agreed" with their assessment. I called them on it of course - but it took 5 months of appeals to fix. A friend of mine got almost the exact same notice, he returned it and it was processed (correctly) within 2 weeks.

I can't tell you how many times I've had payments (typically credit cards, utility payments and the like) applied to wrong accounts, the wrong amounts being debited from my checking account even though I always keep receipts from stores, restaurants, etc. and I diligently print out - and keep - confirmations when I pay bills online. I do tend to pay bills online frequently because anytime I send something in the mail, it inevitably gets lost or takes weeks to show up.

Life just shouldn't have to be this complicated. Most days, I feel like I am jinxed.

My latest dilemma is businesses not returning my phone call(s). Huge pet peeve of mine. Literally, I just want to settle a medical bill with a local hospital but their billing is outsourced, which means I have to call another office - but the problem is, they NEVER answer their phones and I have left several voice mails - none of which have been returned. This has been going on for 6 months now. Seriously, at what point can you say - hey, I tried to pay you, but you don't answer your phones AND you don't return calls. And the outsource office is in another city 4 hours away and the hospital won't even take my payment to send to them. Their mailing address is a PO box in yet another city . . SIGH . . I did try mailing my payment initially (attached w/ their statement) but that never even showed up and the check is still outstanding to this day.

Same with my health insurance company. I recently obtained a case management agreement due to a lack of qualified specialty providers in my area. I have written proof of this agreement, case numbers, etc. but can they process a single claim correctly? No. I have spoken to 2 supervisors finally who both assured me that they would see this through and make sure the claims were appropriately reviewed and taken care of - but my last contact with them was over 4 weeks ago and still NOTHING. I've left voice mails for them as well with no reply/response.

I just don't understand the mindset of someone getting a voice mail and/or an email and never replying or never returning the call, esp after more than 1 message. And just to be clear, I am not barraging
people with messages, I am courteous and give them ample opportunity and time to respond before I inquire again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
There is no such thing as "customer service" these days. You are not alone. They just don't care anymore.

-Try contacting the president of any company you have trouble with.
-Switch doctors if possible and tell them why you are switching.
-Send mail "certified return receipt requested" Then you get a signed card back showing they received your mail plus that mail is tracked and kept locked up all the way to its destination!

And paying online, transactions are handled by computers - not people - so much more accurate. Do print out your receipt though.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:02 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikesfanmb View Post
I'm curious if other people experience this or . . it's just me?

Everything in my life is so very complicated. Most of the time, when I do a simple thing like pay a bill or respond to something I've received in the mail, it turns into an ordeal of some sort.

Recently, I received a notice from the IRS (which I disputed because I had the proof to back up that THEY were wrong) and when I returned the paperwork, they processed it incorrectly - basically the exact opposite of what I had sent them even though it was exceedingly clear and I kept copies of what I had sent. I checked the "disagree" box on the form and they entered as though I had "agreed" with their assessment. I called them on it of course - but it took 5 months of appeals to fix. A friend of mine got almost the exact same notice, he returned it and it was processed (correctly) within 2 weeks.

I can't tell you how many times I've had payments (typically credit cards, utility payments and the like) applied to wrong accounts, the wrong amounts being debited from my checking account even though I always keep receipts from stores, restaurants, etc. and I diligently print out - and keep - confirmations when I pay bills online. I do tend to pay bills online frequently because anytime I send something in the mail, it inevitably gets lost or takes weeks to show up.

Life just shouldn't have to be this complicated. Most days, I feel like I am jinxed.

My latest dilemma is businesses not returning my phone call(s). Huge pet peeve of mine. Literally, I just want to settle a medical bill with a local hospital but their billing is outsourced, which means I have to call another office - but the problem is, they NEVER answer their phones and I have left several voice mails - none of which have been returned. This has been going on for 6 months now. Seriously, at what point can you say - hey, I tried to pay you, but you don't answer your phones AND you don't return calls. And the outsource office is in another city 4 hours away and the hospital won't even take my payment to send to them. Their mailing address is a PO box in yet another city . . SIGH . . I did try mailing my payment initially (attached w/ their statement) but that never even showed up and the check is still outstanding to this day.

Same with my health insurance company. I recently obtained a case management agreement due to a lack of qualified specialty providers in my area. I have written proof of this agreement, case numbers, etc. but can they process a single claim correctly? No. I have spoken to 2 supervisors finally who both assured me that they would see this through and make sure the claims were appropriately reviewed and taken care of - but my last contact with them was over 4 weeks ago and still NOTHING. I've left voice mails for them as well with no reply/response.

I just don't understand the mindset of someone getting a voice mail and/or an email and never replying or never returning the call, esp after more than 1 message. And just to be clear, I am not barraging
people with messages, I am courteous and give them ample opportunity and time to respond before I inquire again.

When it rains, it rains haaard.

You must feel very overwhelmed. These tough times seem to come in waves. I hope everything works out better for you eventually.. self-care in stressful times, even the simple things can be of great tremendous help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology