Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does the awareness of the brevity of life/finality of death make you feel?
Makes me wanna live life to the full/motivates me/positive encouragement 13 24.53%
Doesn't have much effect on me 34 64.15%
Depresses/frightens me 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:24 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,699,355 times

Advertisements

You've heard it, 'you only live once'...to me, it just reminds me of the brevity of life, and in a way depresses rather than motivates me to 'live life to the fullest' because if it's all going to supposedly end in 50 years why bother? I hold out for an afterlife, but of course at this stage I feel there's no guarantee or hard evidence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:34 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,940,154 times
For [censored's] sake: This worries you?

I'd be more worried about what to do DURING those 50 years. That's the only thing you have ANY control over in this life. And that's assuming you even get 50 years following the mandatory school thing.

Go have a good look at those people who are "putting their nose to the grindstone" and then do everything you can to not be like them. You really do only live once. Let that sink in for a moment and then do something about it.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:32 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,839,403 times
"Life's too short to even care at all, whoa oh"

"If life is to exist in a universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion"

Depresses me daily, and will until the day I die. I like to think I do ok for having some "sense of proportion", as Douglas Adams put it. To have such a sense is to be depressed, to some degree anyway.

YOLO is not on my radar as a phrase; a high schooler's "carpe diem" I suppose. When I hear "YOLO" said I don't think of my own mortality, I think of the unfortunate lack of instant evidence of the mortality of the person invoking it. Kidding...kind of.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,301,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
You've heard it, 'you only live once'...to me, it just reminds me of the brevity of life, and in a way depresses rather than motivates me to 'live life to the fullest' because if it's all going to supposedly end in 50 years why bother? I hold out for an afterlife, but of course at this stage I feel there's no guarantee or hard evidence...
Being aware of life's brevity, of it's randomness, of it's unpredictability makes me depressed and apathetic. I find it hard to get motivated to do much of anything, because I'm aware of how absurd and pointless life really is. And to make things worse, one never knows when the curtain is going to drop, and that makes it very hard to make plans or invest in any type of future. I'm only 39, and I feel as jaded and bitter as a lot of people twice my age. I wish I could cease being so self-aware and rational; I know I'd be a happier guy!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,704,057 times
Life is too short to be sitting on your ass at a computer making up stupid polls on a forum. Honestly Trimac, this is still going on?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,813,461 times
I tend to think that people use "you only live once" as an excuse for some self-indulgent or irresponsible behavior.

It's like they're saying because they will only live X number of years, they "deserve" to squander money or time or energy on something senseless if it's "fun." It's fine to ignore responsibilities in the name of enjoyment.

"Hey this woman really seems to like me. I'm married and I do love my family, but hey, you only live once..."

"I was saving up money for the kids' college funds, but then just decided to blow it all on a vacation. You know, you only live once..."

"I called out of work today to go to the shore. Sure we had that important meeting and they were relying on me, but you only live once..."

So I don't like the term. But none of the poll responses fit my opinion.

Also, I don't necessarily believe that we only live once. That's not really relevant, though, since people who use the term aren't talking about a non-belief in reincarnation, but just about justifying their self-indulgent behavior. Even if I were 100% convinced that I would only live once, I still wouldn't throw off responsibility to indulge my whims.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:04 PM

670 posts, read 1,040,443 times
Default Yolo

Quote:
The thought of death used to frighten me when I was younger, but at age 64, I find myself at peace with it. Your views on death change as you age. I hate to sound like Debbie Downer, but life is tough. Everyone has different experiences during life, but we all still have good times and bad times. Our dreams do not always come true. I love the stage of life I am at (retired), and am enjoying it to the fullest because we never know what can happen tomorrow.

Have you ever read the prose "Desiderata?" I try to live by it:

Desiderata:

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

“”
Max Ehrmann, "Desiderata".

Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,388,195 times
Quote:
Wow.

For starters, why focus on 50 years? You aren't guaranteed the next five minutes, but the odds are that you will live long past 50 years.

I am a 52 year old woman. I feel FANTASTIC and I have my parents to look at for further encouragement. they are in their mid seventies and are very active, in shape, attractive, etc. They both have had health blows (in their sixties) but their overall good health gave them the opportunity to fight back - and apparently win, because they're going strong. They live in a retirement community that is chock full of older people who are just as active as they are - playing golf, tennis, swimming, boating, fishing, hunting, dating, marrying, dancing, entertaining, etc.

I don't worry about the afterlife because it's too big a mystery and any worrying would only be conjecture on my part anyway. I BELIEVE in an afterlife because I'm a Christian, but I don't WORRY about it. I fill my life with activities and opportunities that allow me to help others, to enjoy the simple pleasures of life as much as the biggies, and most of all I focus on keeping my sense of GRATITUDE active and "on point." When bad things happen (and they do sometimes), I try to figure out how I can learn and apply something from that experience and get something positive from it.

If I love someone, I show them and tell them. I try to do something to better my corner of the world every day, even if that is just showing my dogs affection, or sending a letter via snail mail to one of my grandkids, or sharing a new recipe with my husband (we both like to cook) and serving it outside on the patio with a glass of wine.

“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.”
― Corrie ten Boom, Clippings from My Notebook

Old 05-06-2014, 03:15 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,518,059 times
I don't think people who say 'YOLO' think about what it means, but use it as an excuse to do something stupid.

The phrase 'you only live once' doesn't really mean anything to me. We will all live with regrets or what-ifs. Live your live the way you want.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:49 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,623,966 times
Wait... The Postman is Trimac?

I was wondering where he went. I couldn't imagine he had gotten a life outside of his own fetid headspace. Makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology