Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 06:37 PM

39,023 posts, read 27,413,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
One of the things that go with being a baby boomer and a military brat is you have had the opportunity to meet several veterans of wars. My dad was a vet of Korea and Vietnam. The majority of vets I have known were drunks, a lot of it because of the era they come from.

There have been veterans of war since time immortal and there must have been cases of PTSD since then. It seems the condition popped up after the early 90s war in Kuwait/Iraq as I had never hear the acronym.
Vets of WWII had a much harder time than modern soldiers. Those in Vietnam had a rougher time as well. Take time to ask these guys and you will learn. My dad was poisoned by radiation during Vietnam as he was part of a detail to clean up some serious mess in Iceland in 1968. Everyone involved with that is either dead or dying of cancer.
There was no outreach to the Vietnam vets - they were shunned by some - as I knew many. One guy was a Capt in the USAF during Vietnam and he dropped out of life after dropping countless bombs from his F4 onto people he couldn't imagine. He showed up at one of my construction sites looking for work in the late 70s I hired him and he liked the physical work as well as the company of people on the job.

When did society become concerned about the welfare of veterans? Thousands of years of wars and it became a priority withing the last 29 years?

Forgive me if I seem uncaring but, as I prefaced, I have been around a lot of them - Seals, Rangers, Green Beret, Pearl Harbor survivors, sailors, sharpshooters, pilots and point men on jungle patrols - who never had the luxury of anyone concerned about their PTSD. It was know as being shell shocked before the turn of the century. These guys were left to their own.
I knew a guy who drove a General's jeep around Germany during Vietnam and he was one of the worst head cases. The two Pearl Harbor survivors I knew - how many are left? - were retired from a second career and were cantankerous old guys who made more sense than most up until they died.

In these days everyone on earth should have PTSD from the sheer overload of crap we endure on a daily basis. The world is in a constant state of flux which wears on peoples minds more than most can conceive.
Thank you for your post.

I don't know how to respond really, I am saddened by my own ignorance and helplessness.

I really believe that another reason why some veterans refuse to get help is because of stigma associated with PTSD.

One of the most common misconceptions about PTSD is that veterans who suffer with it are violent, this is NOT true at all.

I think one of the things we can do for these veterans (Vietnam Veterans, Iraq Veterans, etc, and all Veterans) is to create a safe, nonjudgmental environment for them. So maybe they are willing to seek professional help when they know they will not be judged.

One of my friend was diagnosed officially in 2012, two years after his combat tour. He finally sought help when he realized that he would not be able to convince his troops to seek help when he was trying to hide his own pain. One of the biggest step to help these veterans is PTSD awareness.

These combat veterans are a group of very proud individuals with distinguish personalities, they are not like civilians like you and I, they also share unique military culture. In the battle field, they have made promises to each other that they will never leave one brother behind. In civilian society, we as civilians should give them the promise that we will never forget about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo Santana View Post
That sounds like OCD My brother has it.
PTSD has many symptoms, intrusive thought is just one of them. It is really a very complex condition.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:12 PM

102,096 posts, read 107,233,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2mclaughlin View Post
I have not. I have heard about it, but to be totally honest with you I would be hesitant to try it because my memories involve the loss of life would be to painful. I cry enough as it is watching stupid Budweiser Welcome home commercials and such. You would thin I was watching Hallmark Christmas Countdown movies with the wife
You may have missed my earlier post on this topic, but this is why EMDR is such a great therapy. You don't have to talk about your experience, or delve into memories. It works directly with the subconscious mind to remove the pain from the memories.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,496,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2mclaughlin View Post
I hesitantly post here. But I felt I could bring something positive to the table. I am an Active Duty Army Combat Medic Soldier with 19 years of Service and multiple combat deployments. I have seen things no one should have to see, and live with PTSD. I struggled with it silently for many years until my wife finally convinced me to see someone. Some of the things being said here are true, others half true, and still others not so much. The good thing is that you all cared enough about the OP's comments and wanted to help. I can only speak for myself and and my experiences. There is a stigma, a feeling of shame, weakness, about not being understood, this may not apply for everyone. Many of us who have experienced these things don't belly up to the bar and tell war stories. We struggle with it internally,not knowing how to cope with our issues and PTSD effects everyone differently and every one has different stressors and breaking points. Those of you who have never been there may never understand even if I told you, but those who have served understand. I hate to sound cliche, but its true. Anyway, your friend has to be the one to make the choice to seek help despite your good intentions. Even with my wifes urging, it was my decision alone to make. However, if you wish to leave him something, instead of books, leave him this number. The Veterans Crisis Line. A toll free number, 1-800-273-8255. It's manned 24 hours a day, staffed by professionals who wont judge, but who will listen and help. Time to get off my soap box. If you are truly interested in helping your friend and others like him, seek out your local VA and become a trained volunteer. Finally, I would like to thank you, for having the courage and compassion to care. I appreciate you. Thanks - Mac
Thank you for posting the Crisis Line #. I would add that about 40% of the staff working the line are veterans themselves.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I know this one guy, my neighbor who bragged about killing towelheads and was very open about his combat experiences. Is this a good portion of veterans? He says that he is bored and wants to join a PMC where the pay is better.
I am not the one who pass judgment really. But overwhelming majority of the combat veterans rarely talk about how many people they killed. Matter of fact, the biggest taboo is to ask them "How many people do you kill?" That is a big no no.

They don't want to talk about it. Many of them are not really proud of what they do in war, so we say "Thank you for your SERVICE." We acknowledge their services and sacrifices.

I've never know ANYBODY bragged about how many people they killed. It has not been my experience with veterans. The opposite is true. They don't want to talk about combat.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Thank you for posting the Crisis Line #. I would add that about 40% of the staff working the line are veterans themselves.
That is amazing!!

Thank you for your compassion to help these veterans !! You are doing amazing work. You guys are angels.

Let's post this again in case somebody missed it,

"A toll free number, 1-800-273-8255. It's manned 24 hours a day, staffed by professionals who wont judge, but who will listen and help."

Old 05-09-2014, 07:21 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,006,595 times
Quote:
I know this one guy, my neighbor who bragged about killing towelheads and was very open about his combat experiences. Is this a good portion of veterans? He says that he is bored and wants to join a PMC where the pay is better.
I consider that to be an early sign of PTSD. The greatest pain from PTSD often is not what has happened to you, but what you have done to others. Often it is a coverup to express bravado over ones actions in an attempt to make some justification for the violence.

It can be many years before the reality and feelings of guilt hit.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:31 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,865,976 times
Lilly, you renew my faith in humanity. To serve and be a patriot, you don't have to be in the military, you can serve by supporting troops by volunteering at a base or the VA, coaching little league, mowing a deployed solider's yard, supporting his/her family, etc. Heck just talking to a young, pretty girl would do wonders for most male soliders (it would for me!).

I have been blessed to have a 27+ year military career (mostly guard), plus a great civilian job, I have loved every minute of it, but it would not have been have been as enjoyable without a supportive wife. When people thank me for my service, I tell them to thank a family member, they often have it worse than the deployed member.

You are doing a good thing by getting involved. Spend time just talking to verterans and their families, volunteer at the VA or help one of the many organizations that support deployed service members.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Lilly, you renew my faith in humanity. To serve and be a patriot, you don't have to be in the military, you can serve by supporting troops by volunteering at a base or the VA, coaching little league, mowing a deployed solider's yard, supporting his/her family, etc. Heck just talking to a young, pretty girl would do wonders for most male soliders (it would for me!).

I have been blessed to have a 27+ year military career (mostly guard), plus a great civilian job, I have loved every minute of it, but it would not have been have been as enjoyable without a supportive wife. When people thank me for my service, I tell them to thank a family member, they often have it worse than the deployed member.

You are doing a good thing by getting involved. Spend time just talking to verterans and their families, volunteer at the VA or help one of the many organizations that support deployed service members.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I often think what I have learned from my veteran friends, one thing I learned is compassion, and they really humbled me, more than they will ever know.

I also have learned to never offer unwanted advice (this is something I need to tell myself often), I want to listen more, and talk less.

Like I said, I don't want to be one of those bumper sticker "Thank you for your service" folks, I want to do more for them.

Right now, my stores offer veteran discount, I donate regularly through legitimate non profit organizations (My veterans friends gave me a source, so I know the legitimate ones), and I also offer baby sitting their kids, buying groceries, or just spending time with them.

Just the other day, I sent my friend's little boy a cake, little things like this really makes a difference in people's lives. We can all do something so little to put a smile on somebody's face.

I have a lot of civilian friends are doing exactly what I am doing. We really do have our veterans best interests in our hearts and on our minds. We just wish we can do much more.

Thank you for your service, and I wish you all the happiness in life!!!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:09 PM

50 posts, read 46,250 times
Quote:
He said he has no problem killing anyone who would have killed them. It's actually a pretty reasonable mindset. I would have no remorse for killing terrorists.
yeah SADDAM HUSSEIN SURE WAS TERROIST

terrorist the u.s government ironically helped put in power lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology