Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:18 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo Santana View Post
He said he has no problem killing anyone who would have killed them. It's actually a pretty reasonable mindset. I would have no remorse for killing terrorists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta2014 View Post
yeah SADDAM HUSSEIN SURE WAS TERROIST

terrorist the u.s government ironically helped put in power lol
Politics aside, let's remember that these combat veterans know the cost of war, in trauma, in friends lost, in good lives ruined, in good intentions gone bad. They are the ones who have to endure the pain and trauma caused by wars.

These are somebody's sons, husbands, boyfriends, fathers, cousins, brothers, these are kids next door shipped overseas to fight.

It doesn't matter if we swing left or right, it doesn't matter what our personal views towards politics, let's show our veterans some compassion, treat them with respect and human decency. Let's make sure that we give them a safe, non judgmental environment, so they can all move on with their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:31 PM

50 posts, read 46,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Politics aside, let's remember that these combat veterans know the cost of war, in trauma, in friends lost, in good lives ruined, in good intentions gone bad. They are the ones who have to endure the pain and trauma caused by wars.

These are somebody's sons, husbands, boyfriends, fathers, cousins, brothers, these are kids next door shipped overseas to fight.

It doesn't matter if we swing left or right, it doesn't matter what our personal views towards politics, let's show our veterans some compassions, treat them with respect and human decency.

yea you are right this is not the right thread for this btw I AM NOT AMERICAN. I respect the vets but do not really feel sympathy for a bunch of white males riding in and invading and bombing countries full of brown people . Please that is basically the history of the white man and his interactions with people of color

notice in America , whites are almost the most war hungry. It's probably because it's not their country that has innocent civilians getting their towns bombed and destroyed.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo Santana View Post
shut up muslim.
I think that I am the only Muslim that has posted on this Thread. I have not seen where Atlanta 2014 has said he is Muslim.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 PM

I want to thank everybody again for your replies. I have highlighted some of the very good advice in case somebody are reading this thread. We can all do something to support these veterans. Or at least , we can all learn something about this painful but treatable PTSD. We have nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

Just continue to be a friend, because when the PTSD gets painful enough, your vet friend will need his friends there when he finally seeks help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
The reason a lot of vets don't seek treatment or help for PTSD or depression is because they believe it will make them look weak. There's a very real stigma amongst current and former military about seeking treatment for mental illness that the VA is trying very hard to change. .

As for what you can do to help: being supportive is the best thing but, if that's not enough and you feel that he, based on what he has said, demonstrated, or you have observed, is in imminent danger of hurting himself or someone else, you can call 911. Depending on the laws of your state he can be put under a Temporary Detention Order for up to 72 hours for assessment for suicidal or homicidal ideation. That may be the first step that's needed to get him professional help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
He might have already been told that he first has to get help with his drinking because alcoholism can cause many problems that make even diagnosing impossible really. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
He probably sees it as a sign of weakness. He's been trained to believe he is the strongest of all. See if you can get him to visit your local VA. He is not alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Perhaps because they have not found therapists who they can trust or feel free to truly express themselves with?

Perhaps they feel stigmatized?

Perhaps the medical model of treatment in therapy also makes them feel like they're 'sick' and they feel judged?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Many with this condition are sometimes ashamed to go for help.. some cant get help from doctors or be listened to at all. its shameful ...same with Gulf War Syndrome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightLifeBlues View Post
I usually don't get involved but... read this (can skip statistical data-go for comments from veterans)

1,892 US Veterans have committed suicide since January 1, 2014 : news

then ask yourself whether books would be a viable solve. If you still want to go that way try audio books.

If you haven't yet, present this question in the military forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
["Why do some veterans refuse to seek professional help to treat their PTSD?"]

They DON'T want to talk about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
we have to walk in their shoes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Another reason some actively serving combat veterans don't seek treatment for PTSD is because their current qualifications and ratings could be effected. For example, a special forces member under treatment may have his/her status removed or not be allowed to go on the next mission. Seeking treatment may also have an impact on being selected for certain jobs or duties. Military logic here, if you have PTSD, we shouldn't select you for this special forces position where you will see even more disturbing stuff than before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
They can hold onto benefits if they go through the VA. Guess I wasn't clear. Sometimes the fear of losing benefits will send them there because the VA will stand with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Families often don't know. My mother was clueless as to why my father sort of "went somewhere else" from time to time and merely took it as a rejection of her and became angry. In later years she finally got it.

Last year I read a book called "The Liberators--America's Witnesses to the Holocaust."

. Years of day-after-day trying to save blown-up bodies had taken their toll, and years after the war was over, they were having nightmares, problems with relationships, anxiety attacks and depression, and no one understood why.

War sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
. He managed to get a Ph.D. and hold a job through retirement, but was self-medicating with alcohol the whole time. Now he is on dialysis due to kidney failure. He never really dealt with the PTSD, although he did a little counselling. He is now on a pension from the VA because he was exposed to agent orange in Nam. He could have received it so much earlier...and received many other benefits from the VA. He said a lot of vets (including himself) hold so much anger toward the U.S. Gov't and the VA that they don't want anything to do with them.

Also, the paperwork to receive these benefits is incredible, and a lot of men are not patient enough to fill it out. Then there is a long wait to hear back. Patience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
PTSD does leave one quite paranoid and distrusting of even the people that can help. the anger it self becomes a disability.
Quote:
In this increasingly narcissistic, "it's all about me," "I want to do what I want to do, matter how it affects others" society, many people would just ignore the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Those Vietnam vets have VERY good reasons to feel as they do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Therapy for PTSD doesn't have to involve reliving and discussing the events. EMDR doesn't involve that, and removes the emotional charge attached to the events, so that people are at peace with their memories after treatment. If more vets were aware of this treatment and how easy it is, they might be more willing to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
If he asks, encourage him to seek therapy, but I wouldn't nag him about it, as that will just isolate him more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2mclaughlin View Post
However, if you wish to leave him something, instead of books, leave him this number. The Veterans Crisis Line. A toll free number, 1-800-273-8255. It's manned 24 hours a day, staffed by professionals who wont judge, but who will listen and help. Time to get off my soap box. If you are truly interested in helping your friend and others like him, seek out your local VA and become a trained volunteer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

When did society become concerned about the welfare of veterans? Thousands of years of wars and it became a priority withing the last 29 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You may have missed my earlier post on this topic, but this is why EMDR is such a great therapy. You don't have to talk about your experience, or delve into memories. It works directly with the subconscious mind to remove the pain from the memories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Thank you for posting the Crisis Line #. I would add that about 40% of the staff working the line are veterans themselves.
Quote:
greatest pain from PTSD often is not what has happened to you, but what you have done to others. Often it is a coverup to express bravado over ones actions in an attempt to make some justification for the violence.

It can be many years before the reality and feelings of guilt hit.
Quote:

Spend time just talking to verterans and their families, volunteer at the VA or help one of the many organizations that support deployed service members.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-09-2014 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta2014 View Post
Yeah I am not a muslim

he thinks everyone who lives in the middle east = muslim and arab lmaooo

then name himself after a retard rapper lol
There are a lot of Misconceptions about Muslims. Quite a few of us are US military Veterans. Most of us are not Arab. Some like myself are Vietnam veterans. Which is double surprising as I identify as oriental (Tatar/Mongol) My direct family has had members serving in Every US war since WW1. Currently I have a Grandson in the Army

However this thread is about Veterans suffering from PTSD

PTSD does not recognise Race or religion. I am happy to see that the OP started this thread and hope that perhaps a vet will seek help. I did not admit to PTSD until nearly 40 years after my "vacation" in SE Asia. It is a difficult thing for a Vet to acknowledge.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of Misconceptions about Muslims. Quite a few of us are US military Veterans. Most of us are not Arab. Some like myself are Vietnam veterans. Which is double surprising as I identify as oriental (Tatar/Mongol) My direct family has had members serving in Every US war since WW1. Currently I have a Grandson in the Army

However this thread is about Veterans suffering from PTSD

PTSD does not recognise Race or religion. I am happy to see that the OP started this thread and hope that perhaps a vet will seek help. I did not admit to PTSD until nearly 40 years after my "vacation" in SE Asia. It is a difficult thing for a Vet to acknowledge.
Exactly! Great post.

we have many Muslim Americans served honorably in our armed forces!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-...b_3339838.html

Muslims in the armed forces: A proud tradition - Comment - Voices - The Independent

Bolded is so true.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-09-2014 at 10:19 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 10:18 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,010,966 times
Quote:
To the OP, thank you for taking the time to be concerned and get involved. In this increasingly narcissistic, "it's all about me," "I want to do what I want to do, matter how it affects others" society, many people would just ignore the situation.
Exactly.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:22 AM

652 posts, read 873,799 times
The Djinn are spirits from the Middle East that EMDR will not work on.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:01 AM

Here are some very good videos about EMDR.

1. Steven's experiences of childhood abuse, trauma from the war as a young Marine, an elder woman died in his arms.. and how EMDR helped him.

EMDR AND PTSD - YouTube

Old 05-10-2014, 05:17 AM

Here are some videos of combat veterans share experiences about their silent struggles with PTSD and how did they get help.

You are NOT alone.

"Now, After" (PTSD From A Soldier's POV) [contains graphic imagery] - YouTube

The path to recovering from PTSD - YouTube

It was like I just didn't care anymore - YouTube

Losing my friends is always on my mind - YouTube

Here are some videos about how to support somebody with PTSD

How can we support the PTSD sufferer? - YouTube

PTSD: How to Help A Loved One & Yourself - Dr. James E. Walton, Ph.D. - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology