Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:05 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,703 times

Advertisements

By that I mean, if say a man is into something stereotypically "girly" generally he will get mocked and ridiculed for it, yet if you ask these same people why generally the only response they give is "Because it's for girls". So? What if a man may like something that may be aimed at "girls"? It's not hurting anyone, yet from the way so many act you'd think the guy was as bad as Hitler, just because he was into something "for girls".

The main thing that got me to ask this was due to the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic which, while aimed at girls has gained a LARGE following of adult men for it breaking lots of the stereotypes of "girl" shows. Even my 23 year old newphew is really into it, and he has gotten flack for it despite him doing very well for himself, has a good degree and job and he told me the only real reason people bother him is just because "it's for girls".

So why is this? Why do others feel so threatened/bothered by others that don't conform to their way of how things "should be"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 07:14 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
That's hardly about gender - My Little Pony isn't for women it's for girls, little girls, that's what makes it odd. The response wouldn't be much different if your 23 year old nephew and other adult men were still into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as adults. It's odd to have adults be "into" a children's show, regardless of gender or gender roles.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Because people are insecure, so if you do much of anything that is different from them or
the 'norm' they feel their opinion is 'oh so important'.

They have poor manners, no thought control, are insensitive to how powerful their words are or
just don't care or realize how narrow, closed and judgmental they are.

It says WAY more about them than the person they are judging!
It is amazing how people, close friends of mine, have not learned to just
let people "be" , period....the ones that comment are clearly the ones that don't have peace
of mind...struggling for answers, love, God...whatever...even in their 60s and 70s, they show
signs of depression, anger, dissatisfaction, obessisive complusions wherever they go!

A balanced, content, integrated person lives and let lives, in my opinion...even letting
others continue to make comments or criticize!!! Ha! Even that...who cares what these people say.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
They were raised that way. Their parents, directly or indirectly or both, gave them the message at one point that it was unacceptable to them to be anybody else, therefore they look down on people who are different.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
They were raised that way. Their parents, directly or indirectly or
both, gave them the message at one point that it was unacceptable to
them to be anybody else, therefore they look down on people who are different.
Yes, may I add to this?

Though they had this behavior modeled to them in their family of origin...'something'
in them did not realize this was improper.

Inside each of us is the knowledge of right and wrong...so even tho we may have been
raised with intense prejudice, hatred and verbal ridicule of different races, religions,
economic status, weight, attractivness, political afflilation, etc...there is inside us the
knowing that this is wrong....pure and simple.

So why does this continue thru generations? Well, that could complete a chapter in a book
on human thought, words and actions.
There is laziness, fear,
lack of introspection, .....I have to run...so I am going to stick with emotional and spiritual
laziness...I term immaturity.

If I remained as my family raised me I would be a bigot on many subjects....
so would my sister...we were the kindest children making friends with exactly
who our parents frowned on...we knew this was wrong at a young age...we
did the opposite of what was modeled to us.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
That is an interesting question!

And here are a couple of examples which "irritate" people (to see/hear)...

-A young "man" standing by the side of the road watching AAA change his tire for him (because he does not know how to).

-A "woman" next door who is loudly cussing up a storm - would make a sailor blush!

Here are a couple of examples which DO NOT "irritate" people. Rather it amuses them!

-A football player build of man intentionally dressed up as a woman, but still has facial hair - for a show or Halloween.

-A "strong willed" woman bartender or bar owner with a hoarse voice who smokes constantly and cusses up a storm.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:28 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Because humans are a social species, and conforming to the majority opinions of the troupe/herd/pack was a way of cementing those bonds of tribal belonging and staying safe. Hence, peer pressure.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 PM

509 posts, read 907,304 times
People expect things to be what they are, if not they find it disturbing.
If an adult behaves too childlike, it's weird to us, & vice versa. If a person acted like an animal, you'd steer clear. When people behave like the opposite gender, it's unsettling.
How we handle that, is what speaks volumes about ourselves. l

Old 05-19-2014, 10:50 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's hardly about gender - My Little Pony isn't for women it's for girls, little girls, that's what makes it odd. The response wouldn't be much different if your 23 year old nephew and other adult men were still into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as adults. It's odd to have adults be "into" a children's show, regardless of gender or gender roles.
I'm 43 and still like TMNT and will be seeing the movie when it comes out. Anyone who doesn't like it is invited to bend over, pucker up, and kiss my arse.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
That is an interesting question!

And here are a couple of examples which "irritate" people (to see/hear)...

-A young "man" standing by the side of the road watching AAA change his tire for him (because he does not know how to).

-A "woman" next door who is loudly cussing up a storm - would make a sailor blush!

Here are a couple of examples which DO NOT "irritate" people. Rather it amuses them!

-A football player build of man intentionally dressed up as a woman, but still has facial hair - for a show or Halloween.

-A "strong willed" woman bartender or bar owner with a hoarse voice who smokes constantly and cusses up a storm.
I lost a tire going to work one day and called AAA to change it for me. Why? I was in clean scrubs and on the way to work. I wasn't going to show up to my job dirty and sweaty. Don't like it? Tough ****.

My two posts here express my thoughts on what people think about me and gender expectations. If I wasn't clear enough then let this long-haired, earrings in both ears, nurse put it more succinctly: I don't give a toss. Feel free to perform anatomically impossible acts of self-love if I offend your delicate sensibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology