Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You're wrong. Schizophrenia often manifests itself later. It runs in my family. It's the late teens and early 20's where you first see it with us and marijuana use can trigger the onset.
I am going to write this for the last time.

He was not together when he was a kid.. I also said his emotional state/brain/psychotic state did not change from childhood to adulthood. It was always there. SO, him flipping out shouldn't have been a big surprise. I do agree with the marijuana comment though. I don't see the purpose of weed and it's very hard on brain cells. I know a few people that are mentally gone from pot... but I really don't care.

When I say 'it shouldn't have been a big surprise', that doesn't mean that I agree with opening fire and removing people or killing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I am going to write this for the last time.

He was not together when he was a kid.. I also said his emotional state/brain/psychotic state did not change from childhood to adulthood. It was always there. SO, him flipping out shouldn't have been a big surprise. I do agree with the marijuana comment though. I don't see the purpose of weed and it's very hard on brain cells. I know a few people that are mentally gone from pot... but I really don't care.

When I say 'it shouldn't have been a big surprise', that doesn't mean that I agree with opening fire and removing people or killing them.
But that does not mean he was schizophrenic. You cannot tell who will become schizophrenic as a child. It manifests later. My uncle was normal until he started using weed. Then he developed full blown schizophrenia. My great aunt was also normal until her late teens when she became schizophrenic. I have other relatives who were questionable as kids who never developed it. If we went by needed psychiatric care as a child, my sister should have it but she doesn't. I won't say she's normal because she's not but she didn't become schizophrenic.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But that does not mean he was schizophrenic. You cannot tell who will becomand chizophrenic as a child. It manifests later. My uncle was normal until he started using weed. Then he developed full blown schizophrenia. My great aunt was also normal until her late teens when she became schizophrenic. I have other relatives who were questionable as kids who never developed it. If we went by needed psychiatric care as a child, my sister should have it but she doesn't. I won't say she's normal because she's not but she didn't become schizophrenic.
Fair enough.. and I hope you have a better day. It will be okay.. I just know he was seriously messed up and I don't think it was a new issue.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,265 times
I'll bet dollars to donuts that even if you had taken this spiritually troubled kissless youth to a high class hooker, ie the kind that kisses, and devirginzed him; you wouldn't have prevented the rampage. The reason being that his rage was not basically about sex. It was about his need to be validated, accepted and to have his raging ego soothed by the approval of a certain type of female---someone attractive enough to impress his peer group.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
I'll bet dollars to donuts that even if you had taken this spiritually troubled kissless youth to a high class hooker, ie the kind that kisses, and devirginzed him; you wouldn't have prevented the rampage. The reason being that his rage was not basically about sex. It was about his need to be validated, accepted and to have his raging ego soothed by the approval of a certain type of female---someone attractive enough to impress his peer group.
Well.. that is interesting because he didn't have a peer group I can agree with the rest of it though, but I think it was mom or dad, and staying in school versus working ( screaming matches on the phone) financial reasons more than anything... and also that he would look good ( feeding ego) for his parents.

Edit: This guy was off the charts for awhile.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-23-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 07:12 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
I agree with the basic spirit of your comment. For the other commenter who said he didn't have a peer group, he did have same aged peers which are more important to someone of his age group than a person in his forties as far as validation goes.

The validation, etc. that someone like him may have been seeking is something different than what one is getting from a prostitute, I would think.

And it is why I don't think legalizing prostitution will do what people will think it will.

I don't think anyone owed it to him to provide that validation though, which is what some people think though.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I agree with the basic spirit of your comment. For the other commenter who said he didn't have a peer group, he did have same aged peers which are more important to someone of his age group than a person in his forties as far as validation goes.

The validation, etc. that someone like him may have been seeking is something different than what one is getting from a prostitute, I would think.

And it is why I don't think legalizing prostitution will do what people will think it will.

I don't think anyone owed it to him to provide that validation though, which is what some people think though.
How could he have a peer group if he didn't have any friends?

Everyone is focusing on Elliot’s lack of success with women, but they need to appreciate he was unable to communicate with anyone. He was so shy and painfully awkward. He had a boring personality and he didn’t talk
Virgin Killer's best friend warned Elliot Rodger's mother about Facebook post | Mail Online

‘While Philip was calm and mature, Jeffrey was the complete opposite. Jeffrey Bloeser was wild and boisterous, which often brought a lot of fun to my playdates with Philip.’

'He would never dream of approaching a girl, he just expected them to come to him, which they didn’t. Even if any of them ever had, it wouldn’t have lasted long, because he wouldn’t chat to them.'
Philip Bloeser

Philip fully recognizes he was friends with Rodger, but he does not feel he was as close to him as the killer makes out. He said: ‘In reality I was just trying to be nice to Elliot

======================================

I can’t remember it word for word, but he was basically saying how lonely he was and that no girls would ever talk to him. I actually posted a comment to try to cheer him up, but he deleted it.
‘I was a bit worried, so I called his mum Chin, to make her aware of it. She was worried as well, but she told me they were doing all they could to help him, that he was seeing a psychiatrist and was taking medication.

‘I honestly had no idea he was being treated for mental health problems, but when his mum told me that I felt reassured and thought, that’s it, case closed, the issue is being dealt with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...onths-ago.html

Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
How could he have a peer group if didn't have any friends?

Everyone is focusing on Elliot’s lack of success with women, but they need to appreciate he was unable to communicate with anyone. He was so shy and painfully awkward. He had a boring personality and he didn’t talk
Virgin Killer's best friend warned Elliot Rodger's mother about Facebook post | Mail Online

‘While Philip was calm and mature, Jeffrey was the complete opposite. Jeffrey Bloeser was wild and boisterous, which often brought a lot of fun to my playdates with Philip.’

'He would never dream of approaching a girl, he just expected them to come to him, which they didn’t. Even if any of them ever had, it wouldn’t have lasted long, because he wouldn’t chat to them.'
Philip Bloeser

Philip fully recognizes he was friends with Rodger, but he does not feel he was as close to him as the killer makes out. He said: ‘In reality I was just trying to be nice to Elliot
I used the word peers, meaning people around his own age. Even if he did not have friends, the opinions of his peers(classmates, etc.) were likely important to him.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 PM

398 posts, read 470,810 times
I have two relatives who are practicing psychiatrists. I do know a little bit about mental illness, and schizophrenia doesn't usually happen until your teens or early 20's.

Irregardless, it doesn't make you a bad person. Calling this guy a monster because he was sick is demonizing millions of people who are non-violent and have a mental illness.

I made a post yesterday that was really angry, and deleted it. This kind of lack of understanding in treating people with mood disorders is why our mental health system is so poor.

Last edited by soundofsilence82; 06-23-2014 at 07:55 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I used the word peers, meaning people around his own age. Even if he did not have friends, the opinions of his peers(classmates, etc.) were likely important to him.
He never communicated with them ( I am not implying anything about you and your posts) I am just saying that he didn't speak. He had no friends and no one gave an opinion because he was boring. No one talked to him and he didn't talk to anyone. That is my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology