Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 PM

398 posts, read 471,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
It's okay to get mad. I don't mean any harm here or any disrespect. I see what is going on inside his brain but I just can't put it into words I don't guess. I would have to agree with the physicians about how the stress factors are formed in people when they are children and how these genetics in the stress reactors are formed wrong with detachment ( almost hysteria that stays at that point.) This guy was completely emotionless so I don't worry too much about you wanting to lash out. At least I know you are human.
Yeah, I can't relate to him at all.

Last edited by soundofsilence82; 06-23-2014 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 10:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
There are a few states where psychologists can prescribe medication, but I don't think California is one of them. I don't think we will ever know much about who treated Elliot Rodger, though I hope the last one is being investigated.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
There are a few states where psychologists can prescribe medication, but I don't think California is one of them. I don't think we will ever know much about who treated Elliot Rodger, though I hope the last one is being investigated.
It was the same high profile psych who successfully treated Amanda Bynes and Britney Spears.

Elliot Rodger would have been okay, if he had taken the medication as prescribed to him. The issue was we don't have the ability to institutionalize crazy people who refuse to take their meds. They are released on an unsuspecting public.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:51 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But that does not mean he was schizophrenic. You cannot tell who will become schizophrenic as a child. It manifests later.
You're right. Someone here said that he was prescribed Risperdal, so they assumed he was schizophrenic. However, that medication, which is an antipsychotic, is also prescribed for bipolar mania and a variety of other disorders.

There's an article I recently read in which a professional suspects that he had a personality disorder and was most likely a psychopath, which sounds more likely. I'll have to look for the link.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
It was the same high profile psych who successfully treated Amanda Bynes and Britney Spears.

Elliot Rodger would have been okay, if he had taken the medication as prescribed to him. The issue was we don't have the ability to institutionalize crazy people who refuse to take their meds. They are released on an unsuspecting public.
Britney is still under conservatorship. Medication probably would have been "okay" in the sense of preventing violence, but that's about it. Nasty side effects and not addressing other internal and external problems - there's no easy way to treat male inceldom. Also, it's not okay to take away people's rights simply because they refuse medication.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:42 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Britney is still under conservatorship. Medication probably would have been "okay" in the sense of preventing violence, but that's about it. Nasty side effects and not addressing other internal and external problems - there's no easy way to treat male inceldom. Also, it's not okay to take away people's rights simply because they refuse medication.
Oh really? But it's okay for him to gun down people? Does that make you happy? Or relieve your own tension?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
This oversexed society is what sets them up to think like that.

Don't get me wrong, they are entirely responsible for their own actions. What I am saying is, is that guys are basically conditioned to think if you are still a virgin by a certain age or haven't kissed a female by a certain age there is something seriously wrong with you. It sets up that type of mindset, and in the wrong minds it can lead to disasters like this.
I agree very much with this.

Also, people feel have a huge sense of entitlement. They want it all without making an effort, they just want it given.

Lastly, people are not reasonable nowadays. They think they can and should have it all, whether or not they have the capacity to obtain whatever it is. They just want it.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Oh really? But it's okay for him to gun down people? Does that make you happy? Or relieve your own tension?
Whatever. If a police officer or a mental health professional thinks someone is about to go violent, that person is supposed to be locked up and evaluated. Pills alone don't guarantee non-violence, and many people who 'need' meds aren't violent.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Preventing the violence would have been plenty. The issue of whether Rodger took his medication relates to whether he could have been stopped from committing mass murder, not whether it would have affected his status as an incel. To be honest, that's not an issue for anyone but the incel.

I agree that it's not okay to take away people's rights because they refuse to take their meds. Plus, most involuntary commitments are only for a few days, and someone who is smart but bent on destruction can usually fake it enough to be released right away. It's a tough issue to address because no one wants Thought Police locking people up for thinking evil things.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:23 PM

Incel is a stupid premise. Lots of people are virgins, by choice, and they are non-violent people. The Dali Lama being one of them.

I'd argue that putting so much weight on losing it is what makes you miserable. I remember having conversations with my classmates, at 14, when they thought they were freaks for being virgins.

22 is hardly an old man. Even if you are 20 years older, you still have hope. There are real life 70 year old virgins out there, and people who are asexual and virgins by choice. I knew a girl once who thought sex was disgusting, and she was attractive and could have had any man she wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology