Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 09:29 AM

708 posts, read 823,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
He doesn't understand why he keeps being rejected, so he kills people. A sense of entitlement with an inability to move on with his life.

Yet hundreds of other guys who keep on being rejected and have an inability to move on from it don't go out killing people. I wonder how many times we are going to focus on the wrong factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What he wrote and what his REAL actions/interactions were are two entirely different things. His neighbor (young college guy) was interviewed yesterday on CNN and the guy stated that he and his friends would invite Elliot to parties/gatherings/to hang out and he wouldn't interact socially. When people tried to engage him in conversations he would give one word or very short answers. He would spend most of his time at gatherings just staring or glaring at people. The guy also stated that Elliot had a very "dead look" in his eyes that was off-putting.

Stop trying to blame other people for the social ineptitude of this guy. He was lonely because he chose to be lonely (by not getting the proper psychiatric intervention). I read his "manifesto" and he exhibited extreme jealousy from a very early age that escalated into him assaulting strangers for being coupled up/good looking/happy. What was also evident from his writings was that he had an absentee father and a weak-minded mother who indulged and coddled him instead if getting him the help that he needed.
The wife and I were discussing this last night. This kid had Hollywood connections. He was on the red carpet at movie premiers. The way Hollywood is he could have had wannabe actresses throwing themselves at him for a chance to meet an insider. If he couldn't even get to first base in that environment then that means there was something seriously wrong with HIM.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:42 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The wife and I were discussing this last night. This kid had Hollywood connections. He was on the red carpet at movie premiers. The way Hollywood is he could have had wannabe actresses throwing themselves at him for a chance to meet an insider. If he couldn't even get to first base in that environment then that means there was something seriously wrong with HIM.
Exactly. I'm from LA and trust me when I say that girls usually have no problem with guys who are a bit quirky or a little weird...especially ones with as many industry connections as he had. But it is obvious that this guy's behavior was beyond just quirky or shy. I'm sure that we will hear stories of his darker side from those who encountered him over the next week or so.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:16 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
The guy was cute. The only issue that I see he had from a physical perspective is that he looked younger than his age and probably always did. I think he would've attracted more women as he got older, but he just couldn't be patient.
His personality was a lot darker than what you see in those videos ( as the happy-go-lucky ) bored guy. Thank-God he didn't attract anyone, but condolences to the victims who had to pay.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 05-26-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 10:46 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We are twins separated at birth. Can't rep you again.

I'm also 55, and I know I will be alone for the rest of my life. For the most part, I can deal with it, and I live a busy life, but I do have my moments when I wish there was someone to share life with. I learned to avoid painful situations--for example, I stopped taking a friend's social invitations after I went to her barbecues and parties too many times and was the only person there who was not part of a couple. I don't like the way they look at me as if I am what they fear will happen to them. A single woman in this society is seen as something less than whole, and I don't want to be the object of that viewpoint, thanks. I do a lot of things alone. I go to dinner alone, I go to Atlantic City alone, and just yesterday I was looking at some of the upcoming concerts at the theater in the nearby town that gets big-name musicians, and you know what? I'm going to go to some concerts alone, too. I like music and there's no reason for me not to enjoy some of these events just because I was not deemed good enough to be part of someone's life.
That's bunk. You could move to NWA and fit right in. Most of our young-ins' are big young-ins' ( as in tall, which goes for male and female). People around here are just large, in general. Check out the women at the u of A baskeball team. I am 5'10" and met one these gals while at Sub Way and she just towered me. A good looking bunch. AT 5'10", I'd probably be the one dribbling, running through everyone's legs to make a basket. I would be considered short.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Some very nice girls can't buy a date. My best friend is probably a 7 on a scale of 1-10, she's intelligent, hard working, loyal, honest and fun to be around. She can't buy a date. Never has been able to. She's always been on the heavy side (180 pounds and 5'4") and men don't give her a second look. She's one of the nicest people I know.
Would she consider a man who was less than a 7? I think there are a lot of caring men who are lonely because they're not what women want.

Quote:
There are women out there who would love to have a nice caring man show them some attention but they are not what men want so men don't. I understand because I was never what men wanted either. I was never pretty enough so I sat home on Saturday nights. In high school the only two boys who paid any attention to me were a nerd who didn't know how to take a bath and a guy who started his career as an alcoholic in 9th grade (that's how far down the list I was. He died in his 40's BTW of complications related to lifelong alcohol abuse.). For some of us, pickings are slim. The funny thing is people don't seem to notice us when they claim that nice men can't find nice women. We're invisible.

I find it very interesting that I've had two men from my past comment that they wish they'd met someone like me when they were younger. They don't even see the irony in what they are saying. They did meet someone exactly like me. They met me but I didn't make the cut. What they are saying is they wanted to meet someone more appealing with my character.

I'm always amazed when I watch television shows like Happily Never After and see a nice man hook up with a scheming woman who is just playing him. How many invisible women did he pass over to get the arm candy that takes him to the cleaners or worse?

Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkChickenLover View Post
Some people have committed to celibacy outside of marriage. This doesn't make them sick. Instead, it is a way of honoring their belief that having sex with someone they're not married to is giving away a precious gift that is best shared within the confines of a committed relationship. I went to church with a man in his late 20s who was a kissless virgin; when he met his future wife, they agreed to remain celibate until their wedding night. They shared their first kiss on their wedding day after being pronounced man and wife. 15 years and 4 kids later, they are a happy couple, very much in love, and neither one of them is sick.

In other words, you are entitled to your opinion even if it is wrong.
It's not those who are voluntarily celibate who are under question or discussion. It's the involuntarily celibate who are the ones with serious problems.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:08 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Quote:
So you really think women who are overweight are "putting little real effort into being attractive?" Have you considered that a good number of overweight women are that way as the result of being abused and/or molested as children? I did a research paper on this in college and got quite a good grade on it, by the way, so I'm not just shooting off at the mouth. Besides, outside of the USA, many countries don't see overweight women as particularly unattractive. Go south of the border. I had a friend who vacationed in Mexico and she was propositioned by many men who viewed her voluptuous body as particularly attractive. They like a little something to hang on to, they said. They don't like skinny women. Just because Hollywood and advertising has brainwashed a goodly portion of American society into thinking that thin, artificially enhanced, airbrushed women are "beautiful" that doesn't mean that the people who believe the lies are in touch with reality.

How about men who have forgotten that women are genetically disposed to having extra tissue and fat deposits, especially around the hips and belly, in order to protect developing fetuses from danger in case of a fall or other kind of injury? The pelvic shape of women is wider to accommodate birth as well. Just because a woman has extra weight doesn't mean she's not attractive. She might just a woman who values brains over airbrushing.

Try making friends first and treating women like people. You might be surprised at what you discover.
Or try reading my post properly before ranting. I said "obese." Even among those women, granted, are some whose excess stems from things like molestation, but that's not a total excuse, as people should get help for trauma.

But since you dredged up my list of "common problems," I want to include two others that the killer (with his huge sense of envy) made a big deal out of. Women who parade themselves like objects and women who do excessive PDA (with the cooperation of specific men, in almost all cases). Those things bother some lonely men (and others as well) and in certain situations are quite insensitive.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:10 AM

589 posts, read 639,048 times
Quote:
Okay, that's rude. Susan can't help what she looks like. She stayed at home to take care of her mum, which was the norm for the oldest female in some societies for a long time, even our own. My oldest aunt on my Dad's side (we're talking South Carolina here) never got married but instead stayed home and, like a typical spinster, took care of her parents as they got older and then inherited their home when they died. There's nothing to say Susan didn't have a man - or more - interested in her when she was younger; she just had different goals in life than getting married at that time.

Looks shouldn't be a way to judge whether someone would have potential as a life-mate. It's much more important to be kind, loving, committed and honest than to be what others might see as pretty. Looks - heck, looks can disappear any time. All it takes is a car accident or a shooting or a freak wild animal attack while on vacation to turn a 10 into a 2. People need to remember that.

It's not rude at all. It's just stating the truth. There's nothing to suggest Susan had a man at any point. There's been more lesbian rumors than straight rumors. I doubt she's gay, just towards the bottom of the looks scale.

Everyone judges on physical appearance. I do it, you do it, everyone does it.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
C'mon! If you read his writings of himself as a teen or older, he had genuine sexual interest in women. I think I've had enough of the deflections re women having any culpability in this and, by extension, bad (less psychotic) outcomes for other lonely men.
Women have zero culpability in this. A vagina is not a cure-all. This guy should have just killed himself.

Edit: He should have killed himself before harming others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology