Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 07:51 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,794,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Having tantrums ? What he was doing wasn't just a tantrum. He was frequently calling both his parents and crying and having meltdowns about blonde women and virtually worshiping them. He was even talking to his parents about this. He also made YouTube videos which caused his mother to contact the police which visited him last year. So there was already an understanding there is something wrong.
Yes.. he was having a tantrum. He thought he was BETTER than community college.. You know and I know it. Besides that, no one in community college in Santa Barbara fed his ego with him thinking he was famous. He went to a Katy Perry concert and was on a private plane and no one in the college knew.. He had to video tape it.. to point out his was of royalty and everyone else was just stupid. ( Mainly, for never noticing) That was his specific reason for the video or another tantrum.. AND NO! There was not a girl on campus that was good enough for him and he knew he couldn't achieve what he really wanted. He wanted money and fame, it was never about a girl. He didn't want a girl and he didn't want a guy.. so that is all complete crap. He had the same tantrums when he was a kid. When he didn't get the specific room he wanted and so on.. His manifesto was another tantrum. H had fits of rage when he didn't get what he wanted and he didn't EXPECT to put in effort into anything. He did put effort in card collecting and some physical activities but the manifesto clearly stated that his step-mother finally got tired of his moping around and pushed him out into the street with a group of kids and locked the door.

So, yeah.. one of his many tantrums and he had quite a few on the phone with his parents.. but they were no different from what they were normally used to. He may have been focused on a certain thing or a certain group.. but that is the way he was. He could only focus on one thing and not a variety of things.

Without me reading too much about about him ( still at this point) I already know that placement at the community college was not feeding his ego. He wasn't focused on his classes by any means.. so I know he was a poor student.

Also, as a person I do not have the patience of 'God' to keep going on about Elliot Rodgers. His manifesto was yes, another tantrum. I am really surprised that he actually killed himself.. but the whole shooting at the convenience store to killing himself lasted 10 minutes.. so that is the equivalent of one of his tantrums.

As far as his roommates, one of them was actually talking about moving out.. and ER couldn't handle rejection at all. No way.. because that destroyed his ego ( or altar ego)

Do I think he needed to be institutionalized when he was a kid? The answer would be that I think someone needed to get him with someone serious, because I really don't think his parents TOOK HIM SERIOUS. That was half of his tantrum problem. He thought he was so cool, he could snowball anyone with his infinite finesse... which put him above people.

What he didn't realize he was doing, was losing. But as I said, he committed emotional suicide at a young age due to self hatred. He destroyed himself. Was it inevitable? The answer is -yes. It couldn't have happened any other way. Physically, mentally or spiritually... but taking others with him was a tantrum.

The end.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 07-10-2014 at 08:22 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 PM

If his parents had to do all over again, the decision of a community college was not the brightest idea for ER.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 PM

600 posts, read 820,061 times
I disagree he was having tantrums. His meltdowns were inconsistantly not only with his other siblings, but also with normal kids. His state of mind was delusional, and became more outwardly apparent towards the end of his life. I am not a psychology professional, however; I have read material throughout the years for my own personal interests which is probably why I can seem to understand it more than looking at it from the surface and seeing merely a spoiled kid. That's probably the conclusion you'd get just by looking at each individual situation which is what you are doing, instead of looking at it from a holistic approach. It seems you are looking at it this way, and probably Elliot's parents did the same as well.

Even the term 'tantrum' massively underscores the problem. It wasn't a tantrum, it was a chronic mental illness that persisted and continued to get worse.

Anyone who has ever sought to address issues in their lives whether it's issues with parents, anxiety, depression, addictive personalities, etc, etc from a chronic standpoint knows it is an enormous amount of work and takes a long time to correct.

Your post is just nitpicking at the surface and is looking at scattered isolated situations.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:29 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,821,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
If his parents had to do all over again, the decision of a community college was not the brightest idea for ER.
If his parents had to do it all over again, the decision to give him everything under the Sun that he wanted without him working for it was not the brightest idea for ER.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
If his parents had to do it all over again, the decision to give him everything under the Sun that he wanted without him working for it was not the brightest idea for ER.
He didn't have to work.. he was the elite. That was his attitude anyway..

Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I disagree he was having tantrums. His meltdowns were inconsistantly not only with his other siblings, but also with normal kids. His state of mind was delusional, and became more outwardly apparent towards the end of his life. I am not a psychology professional, however; I have read material throughout the years for my own personal interests which is probably why I can seem to understand it more than looking at it from the surface and seeing merely a spoiled kid. That's probably the conclusion you'd get just by looking at each individual situation which is what you are doing, instead of looking at it from a holistic approach. It seems you are looking at it this way, and probably Elliot's parents did the same as well.

Even the term 'tantrum' massively underscores the problem. It wasn't a tantrum, it was a chronic mental illness that persisted and continued to get worse.

Anyone who has ever sought to address issues in their lives whether it's issues with parents, anxiety, depression, addictive personalities, etc, etc from a chronic standpoint knows it is an enormous amount of work and takes a long time to correct.

Your post is just nitpicking at the surface and is looking at scattered isolated situations.

No, it's not nitpicking. The only thing that would have worked for ER was an arranged marriage ( like a playdate) but if her attention was to waiver off him for 1 hour, she would have been dead. That would be another tantrum.. but you are taking the term 'tantrum' as nominal occurrence. Yes, the tantrums did come with mental illness.. but his fits of rage started when he was a kid. He had the same re-action on PUA... it would be no different.

Delusional.. yes..

Edit: That is why he never asked anyone out because he knew.. so his manifesto was just 'blowing smoke' because he could never could achieve being in a relationship with anyone... ever. Male or female...

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 07-10-2014 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 PM

88,060 posts, read 83,912,900 times
Quote:
His parents were aware of his personality and situation since he starting having troubles. The mother eventually made the decision to call the police due to a percieved safety issue.

Comparing a mother/father relationship to a child, is completely different than "mentally ill people walking around every day on the streets". You are completely missing the point.
The POINT is that in this country an adult cannot easily have another adult committed to a mental institution, whether they are a parent or the local mission, even when it's obvious that something is seriously wrong.

The articles I've read say that perhaps if the police had viewed the videos, they might have found reason to have him admitted for evaluation.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 PM

Edit to last post: That is why he never asked anyone out because he knew.. so his manifesto was just 'blowing smoke' because he could never could achieve being in a relationship with anyone... ever. Male or female... that is mainly what his videos were about.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The POINT is that in this country an adult cannot easily have another adult committed to a mental institution, whether they are a parent or the local mission, even when it's obvious that something is seriously wrong.

The articles I've read say that perhaps if the police had viewed the videos, they might have found reason to have him admitted for evaluation.
If ER had been picked up, the hold is only three days. He would have 'aced' that but it is a major problem with an adult trying to commit another adult. I think what is confusing on this thread, is some people take it as though his mental illness manifested at Santa Barbara.. but I personally don't think it elevated in this time period.. the same state of mind he had in Santa Barbara was there when he was a kid. I think the community college aura didn't agree with his ego and just aggravated the long term problem. He needed to be institutionalized way before Santa Barbara, but his parents said that he was meek and mild when growing up. Also, they said they didn't recognize the guy in the videos.

What I see in the videos is just an extension of who he already was. Since he is dead and his parents are saying he was meek and mild child always, it will never be known if he needed to be committed because they never saw a problem ( even when he was child)
But then again, they did have to see something, otherwise he wouldn't have been so smooth to cover-up his real self with the many counselors he had, through-out his life.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 PM

26,595 posts, read 26,486,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I think what is confusing on this thread, is some people take it as though his mental illness manifested at Santa Barbara.. but I personally don't think it elevated in this time period.. the same state of mind he had in Santa Barbara was there when he was a kid.
I don't know. He had emotional problems as a kid but he did not seem to have the rage/hate that he appeared to have as a late teen. It seemed to build within him with each passing year. When he wrote in his manifesto that he had started target practice with one of the guns he purchased, he stated something to the effect that he couldn't believe it had finally come to that (practicing for the massacre). I think he became more and more miserable, angry and hopeless as time went by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology