Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 01:09 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The question to me is why would anyone want to die unless really sick and in pain. Makes no sense at all to me as I love life but do not fear death being a Christian.it reminds me of when I was in military in mid 60's :I couldn't wait to get back to US; family and life.
Because life sucks for many people.

I feel it's grossly overrated and I'm glad I never had children. I wouldn't want to put anyone through this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 03:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
Seriously what is the point of being alive? What motivates you/keeps you going?

Originally for me it was my career, my career = ME but i've come to find out that my career does not even come close to defining who I am as a person or my psyche. Now I am kind of at a loss as to how to find out what keeps me going/motivated.

I just don't know any more, is it having my own family one day, people that care about me or friends?
Basically what keeps any living creature alive. For instance that there is no off switch. Committing suicide is quite a difficult task. And as long as you don't do that, you will automatically continue to eat and drink, and thus live.

Specifically with humans, not knowing what the future might bring, and the hopes associated with that uncertainty. Will I meet a cute woman tomorrow (I guess love and sexuality are the driving forces behind the human psyche as well)? Will I be able to move to another apartment, city or country? Will I find a job I like better? For family people, what will my children or grandchildren be like as they get older? Such things...
But also little things that one is used to, like favorite dishes or music, hobbies, etc.

I am realistic, though. I know my life is basically meaningless to the world. But my feelings give me the illusion that my life and person matter, thus I have my share of egoism and vanity. But as I got older, the feeling that the world revolves around me went away. I guess we all have that feeling when we are young, as if the world had been waiting for our arrival.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
to be honest im surprised im not a drug user of any knd and wish I was a heavy drinker and smoker to the point I wish I had lung cancer.

I keep thinking that so many good noble people die, yet I live. I will never be good enough for my faily. even if I finish a bs at 32, my dad will comment it took me 10+ years long to et a damn degree. to them, im never good but will be all "you did it!" but knowing im not that 21 year old who did it.

I simply wish to pass away these days. I have no friends, no true desire to work non degree jobs, no girlfriend and no support of my family. if I had 2 of them id be ok but I don't. im not going to place full blame on them, but they've impacted me enough that none can be achieved. yet I live only because deep down I enjoy my own pain and suffering.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
to be honest im surprised im not a drug user of any knd and wish I was a heavy drinker and smoker to the point I wish I had lung cancer.

I keep thinking that so many good noble people die, yet I live. I will never be good enough for my faily. even if I finish a bs at 32, my dad will comment it took me 10+ years long to et a damn degree. to them, im never good but will be all "you did it!" but knowing im not that 21 year old who did it.

I simply wish to pass away these days. I have no friends, no true desire to work non degree jobs, no girlfriend and no support of my family. if I had 2 of them id be ok but I don't. im not going to place full blame on them, but they've impacted me enough that none can be achieved. yet I live only because deep down I enjoy my own pain and suffering.
I have studied around quite a bit myself, wasted many years because I never knew what I wanted. And frankly, I still don't know and probably never will. I feel like I don't really belong in this world, whose goals and priorities I have never cared about.
All I kind of know by now is what I don't want. My parents have always supported me, though, never have they said things like that I wasted time. All they ever wanted for me is to be happy. They could not care less I have no career etc.

I am not ambitious, I dislike my profession, I only do it because I have a degree in it and need the money, it is the only thing I know how to do. I am too old to learn a new profession, so I suppose I will have to stick my current one till retirement. Luckily, my self-esteem has never depended on career, money, etc. Actually, I think I am a great guy

I guess once you have a girlfriend, you will automatically be happier Not being alone, human interaction, etc. are basic needs, the absence of which can cause certain problems. After a longer time period of living alone it might take some time to accept that someone actually likes you for who you are and you might wonder, why does she like me when I don't even like myself? When alone a lot, some people also tend to develop a certain bitterness towards and even contempt for relationships, family, and all those supposedly conservative things.

Cherish your good health, it is one of the most important things in life. You realize as you get older and health issues get more frequent. So, don't wish for lung cancer etc. Treat your health like a precious gift As long as you live, it will make your life so much more worthwhile. And rest assured, your life will not last forever. The older you get, the faster life goes by. So really, make the best of your young years as long as you are still closer to the beginning than to the end. You will later on regret time lost on bitterness when young.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have studied around quite a bit myself, wasted many years because I never knew what I wanted. And frankly, I still don't know and probably never will. I feel like I don't really belong in this world, whose goals and priorities I have never cared about.
All I kind of know by now is what I don't want. My parents have always supported me, though, never have they said things like that I wasted time. All they ever wanted for me is to be happy. They could not care less I have no career etc.

I am not ambitious, I dislike my profession, I only do it because I have a degree in it and need the money, it is the only thing I know how to do. I am too old to learn a new profession, so I suppose I will have to stick my current one till retirement. Luckily, my self-esteem has never depended on career, money, etc. Actually, I think I am a great guy

I guess once you have a girlfriend, you will automatically be happier Not being alone, human interaction, etc. are basic needs, the absence of which can cause certain problems. After a longer time period of living alone it might take some time to accept that someone actually likes you for who you are and you might wonder, why does she like me when I don't even like myself? When alone a lot, some people also tend to develop a certain bitterness towards and even contempt for relationships, family, and all those supposedly conservative things.

Cherish your good health, it is one of the most important things in life. You realize as you get older and health issues get more frequent. So, don't wish for lung cancer etc. Treat your health like a precious gift As long as you live, it will make your life so much more worthwhile. And rest assured, your life will not last forever. The older you get, the faster life goes by. So really, make the best of your young years as long as you are still closer to the beginning than to the end. You will later on regret time lost on bitterness when young.

I lack good health trust me. my digestive system is well... gone to hell already. im 30 and well I doubt what I want will never be achieved. I wish I was just "F ppl, make money" because id be happier.

PS: you're the opposite of me. not in the same field

Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
I lack good health trust me. my digestive system is well... gone to hell already. im 30 and well I doubt what I want will never be achieved. I wish I was just "F ppl, make money" because id be happier.

PS: you're the opposite of me. not in the same field
Probably. I used to be unhappy when I was your age. But I have turned things around mentally, although not much has changed on the outside (as I said, I don't like my profession). What helped me was my first severe mid-life crises, which made me think about life so much I was sick of all the worrying and being sad after a while. Sooner or later I just came to terms with the mediocre phenomenon life is. I am way into the second half of my life now, and I am trying to make the best of what is left of my life. It still hurts to think of the way life simply ends one day. People you like simply leave you forever. Where I grew up almost everyone has died by now, except for my parents and my brother I have no relatives left, they have all died. And my parents are old now, they will not live forever. The thought of living in this world without people supporting me unconditionally is a bit scary. That is why it is important to be a good person with a positive mindset so that you attract other good people and make friends to support each other on a voluntary basis, so to speak.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Probably. I used to be unhappy when I was your age. But I have turned things around mentally, although not much has changed on the outside (as I said, I don't like my profession). What helped me was my first severe mid-life crises, which made me think about life so much I was sick of all the worrying and being sad after a while. Sooner or later I just came to terms with the mediocre phenomenon life is. I am way into the second half of my life now, and I am trying to make the best of what is left of my life. It still hurts to think of the way life simply ends one day. People you like simply leave you forever. Where I grew up almost everyone has died by now, except for my parents and my brother I have no relatives left, they have all died. And my parents are old now, they will not live forever. The thought of living in this world without people supporting me unconditionally is a bit scary. That is why it is important to be a good person with a positive mindset so that you attract other good people and make friends to support each other on a voluntary basis, so to speak.
oh trust me, I give out a "im happy, yo! whats up" but leads to nothing. just want a nice decent end is all.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
oh trust me, I give out a "im happy, yo! whats up" but leads to nothing. just want a nice decent end is all.
Most people are bad actors, and you are probably no exception. You display a rather negative attitude here, and people will notice, no matter if think you are hiding it. The first step is to actually become happy, then you don't have to fake it. And becoming happy is really just a psychological task. You know that old song Don't worry, be happy? It sounds like a naive song at first, but there is a lot to those lyrics.
As long as the basic needs such as food, clothes, and a place to live are fulfilled, there is no need to be unhappy. People often let themselves fall into that deep hole unhappiness is. It is like with an addiction, you have to really want to get out of your addiction to negativity, else you are too weak. Others can't and won't pull you out of that hole.

Do you have a pet? Caring for and bonding with a pet that depends on you can make a big difference It can turn us into better people. Or you might do some volunteering...

Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
Seriously what is the point of being alive? What motivates you/keeps you going?

Originally for me it was my career, my career = ME but i've come to find out that my career does not even come close to defining who I am as a person or my psyche. Now I am kind of at a loss as to how to find out what keeps me going/motivated.

I just don't know any more, is it having my own family one day, people that care about me or friends?
i have no idea tbh

i was put here for a reason. might as well stick around and find out what that reason is.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i have no idea tbh

i was put here for a reason. might as well stick around and find out what that reason is.
There is no "reason."

Makes about as much sense as a reason some children are born disabled or struggling to overcome a terrible disease like cancer. Or even stillbirth's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology