Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times

Advertisements

Is it just me?

Mass shootings weekly for years, homicidal people shooting cops, road rage leading to unpredictable confrontations and shootings. Having just traveled the Pacific Rim I did not see this so much and now returning to the lower 48 it seems a daily occurrence. What are the causes? Could diet with al the new things in our foods be linked. Less treatment for mental health issues?

I am 60 and I am really beginning to wonder why all this terribly violent crime is now front and center. Please don't tell me this is just like it was. It isn't. This is really alarming. Do you check patrons as they enter movie theaters as you sit down? I do. Do you look more carefully at people in your immediate area when shopping? I do that too.

It is really an awkward question to ask...but the number and rage of the people who commit these crimes is increasing. I am interested in why other people here think that this is happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Is it just me?

Mass shootings weekly for years, homicidal people shooting cops, road rage leading to unpredictable confrontations and shootings. Having just traveled the Pacific Rim I did not see this so much and now returning to the lower 48 it seems a daily occurrence. What are the causes? Could diet with al the new things in our foods be linked. Less treatment for mental health issues?

I am 60 and I am really beginning to wonder why all this terribly violent crime is now front and center. Please don't tell me this is just like it was. It isn't. This is really alarming. Do you check patrons as they enter movie theaters as you sit down? I do. Do you look more carefully at people in your immediate area when shopping? I do that too.

It is really an awkward question to ask...but the number and rage of the people who commit these crimes is increasing. I am interested in why other people here think that this is happening.
Is it an increase in violent crime or is an increase in the reporting of violent crime by our "media"?

The murder rate has been declining in the U.S. HOWEVER when there is a killing our 24/7 infotainment corporations hype it up in order to help their advertisers sell toilet paper and laundry detergent.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:55 AM

The issue here is random violence against innocent people. The murder rate in general has declined. As stated please don't tell me this is not the case or blame it on hype. Everybody knows random violence has increased exponentially. Got a chart for that?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
I don't know really other than outing psychological care. It's normal to be upset and depressed in life at certain stages.. but taking innoscent people with the intial shooter, doesn't make much sense. The people around them or innocent lives, don't know what is going on in the persons head or the situation. The question really should be not wanting to enlist in psychological care. I think (or thought) the new healthcare addendums were exactly for these reasons. I could understand it alittle better when there was no package in most health care policies for mental health.. but these shootings are way too often and most the time, means nothing to the outside world as to what the motive was. It seems everyone wants to go down as some martyer for some cause that only has to do with their limited brain capacity.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:04 AM

The common thread I see is making people suffer the way the perpetrator feels. Many are bullied it sounds like but I think it's more than that. People get mad and get a gun. In my generation people got mad got into a fist fight or kicked the dog. Why now is it acceptable to be horribly lethal?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:06 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The issue here is random violence against innocent people. The murder rate in general has declined. As stated please don't tell me this is not the case or blame it on hype. Everybody knows random violence has increased exponentially. Got a chart for that?
List of rampage killers (Americas) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems to me that in recent years the majority of mass killers were on prescription mental health medication yet our "media" ALWAYS blames the GUN.

Last edited by Wartrace; 06-09-2014 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
The things that are driving these weird killings are twofold: the lack of appropriate mental helath care and the easy availability of guns. Gun advocates like to blame it on crazy people, while mental health advocates like to blame it on the easy availability of guns. But the two sides shouldn't be at odds because both of them are right.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:18 AM

So there have always been mentally ill people and it used to be actually easier to get guns in all 50 states. so why do these people take it out on others. Note the Las Vegas crime yesterday. They shot 2 cops and a random person before killing themselves. Why??

The kid at Va Tech. The movie theater in Colorado. Why do these people plan mass murder? Mental illness but stable enough to carry out an elaborate plot? That does not fit for me at least.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:33 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The things that are driving these weird killings are twofold: the lack of appropriate mental helath care and the easy availability of guns. Gun advocates like to blame it on crazy people, while mental health advocates like to blame it on the easy availability of guns. But the two sides shouldn't be at odds because both of them are right.

Really? Guns just didn't appear on the market ten years ago, either. These shooting are more rampant today and the gun laws are actually stricter than they were 25-30 years ago.

I think Eliot Rodgers purchased a gun and then used it, when his parents had called the police before any of that, only to say he was a threat or they were concerned. When the police interviewed him, he altered his personality because he was past the point of being psychotic and the police never thought to search the rooms for the guns he already had.

So, How come no one in the family got him into a mental institution? I tell you why, he was a spoiled brat and no one had the pure balls to see that in "their baby". I think that is half of what society's problem is anyway.. spoiling their kids to where they couldn't possibly see them harm others and then calling the police because they don't want to bring the subject up to their precious "baby".

Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
I DON'T see any of this happening in the U.S....

But then I don't have paid TV - I don't watch TV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology