Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:44 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Anyhow, with all the diagnosing from the OP and others in this thread I have to wonder if the OP is either exaggerating or has personal issues himself. No person with their mental and emotional shyte together would leave their own child in danger. Either direction points to the OP having personal issues that he needs to reconcile on top of whatever issues his wife and child have.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 11:08 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times
I have not read all the comments, but, I am perplexed as to WHY she is making an issue of a problem with the school when you are moving soon. It makes no sense. There are other things to do like listing the house, etc. Btw, I've never agreed with leaving the family behind to finish school, etc. It's more important for a family to be TOGETHER.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:06 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I have not read all the comments, but, I am perplexed as to WHY she is making an issue of a problem with the school when you are moving soon. It makes no sense. There are other things to do like listing the house, etc. Btw, I've never agreed with leaving the family behind to finish school, etc. It's more important for a family to be TOGETHER.
lv2trvl,
Precisely, and that is why I was so angry and perplexed, but I have concluded reason has little to do with it. She sees the school issues with our son as a personal threat, somehow. What I was struggling with was a spectacular battle with the school and an inability or unwillingness to help with even 5% of the moving tasks. Hard to fathom. I was afraid she was losing it for good. However, I think it was a compounding of all the stresses Oldhag1 so ably summarized, a personal and emotional battle she created, some of her emotional blind spots, and no doubt a few of my own. I agree a family should move together, if possible. I know we will in the future. I am not going through this again!

Brawnwyn,

The BPD realization (I should not call it a diagnosis-I am no professional) fits not only this event but a long history of similar, though lower intensity events. The whole "I hate you! Don't leave me!" style is something that rings true over nearly two decades of marriage. I am not going to diagnose her, or rub her nose in anything. That would be foolish; she would counterattack in a nanosecond with fury of cornered wolverine, and close her mind tight as a drum. However, I am thinking of my son, and the realization that we have very likely a genetic-based issue to deal with will help us get him (and her) to eventually get the help they need. My love for them will not be something they have to worry about. And I have no doubt I need help too, with my own issues. I have no problem admitting that. What I am so thankful for is that I think we now have a plan that blends compassion and decisiveness (I was lacking both when I started this thread), a doable time window, and we are going to get out of this rough patch as a family.

I am very, very thankful for the advice people shared here!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 06-14-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 02:32 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
You are a good man and a wise one too. Your wife is lucky to have you. Bless you.

Last edited by 303Guy; 06-14-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Let us know how it all turns out, OP. Best wishes.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:46 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Brawnwyn,

The BPD realization (I should not call it a diagnosis-I am no professional) fits not only this event but a long history of similar, though lower intensity events. The whole "I hate you! Don't leave me!" style is something that rings true over nearly two decades of marriage. I am not going to diagnose her, or rub her nose in anything. That would be foolish; she would counterattack in a nanosecond with fury of cornered wolverine, and close her mind tight as a drum. However, I am thinking of my son, and the realization that we have very likely a genetic-based issue to deal with will help us get him (and her) to eventually get the help they need. My love for them will not be something they have to worry about. And I have no doubt I need help too, with my own issues. I have no problem admitting that. What I am so thankful for is that I think we now have a plan that blends compassion and decisiveness (I was lacking both when I started this thread), a doable time window, and we are going to get out of this rough patch as a family.
I wish your family the best and hope you guys manage the move safely. It's likely your job, or your insurance plan, offers mental health services. It might do you well to seek counsel with professionals during this time given the gravity of the situation as you explain it.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:01 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,399 times
Not read all of this, just surfing. Have you thought of praying Fiddlehead? I'm not joking, or schmoozing you. I'm British, from the Uk. I had a work colleague once, who told me (in the communal gents bathroom at work, as you do) his wife wanted to leave him. ...I think I was the last to find out! I said, "well Bob, God loves desperate people. We will pray for you at our home group meeting tonight." And we did. Next day, he came to me and said, " when I got him last night, she said she didn't want to leave me, and would stay." I said that it was God who had done that, and you know what he said. "I don't believe any of that stuff." :-)

Regards,

Last edited by Age-enduring; 06-14-2014 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Added smiley face

Old 06-14-2014, 04:15 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
Not read all of this, just surfing. Have you thought of praying Fiddlehead? I'm not joking, or schmoozing you. I'm British, from the Uk. I had a work colleague once, who told me (in the communal gents bathroom at work, as you do) his wife wanted to leave him. ...I think I was the last to find out! I said, "well Bob, God loves desperate people. We will pray for you at our home group meeting tonight." And we did. Next day, he came to me and said, " when I got him last night, she said she didn't want to leave me, and would stay." I said that it was God who had done that, and you know what he said. "I don't believe any of that stuff." :-)

Regards,

Well, I will take any and all help I can get. I am not opposed to receiving, or giving prayer. Thanks for this.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:17 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
'
Well, I will take any and all help I can get. I am not opposed to receiving, or giving prayer. Thanks for this.
I'll offer another thought.. but I think you might 'off' on your diagnosis. ( then again we all could because none of us really know the situation) But I did hear you say that she was fighting the school, which you are classifying as BPD. What I am seeing in this has nothing to do with the school and it doesn't have anything to do with your son. She is transferring energy-- or what she needs to do, and concentrating on the school which is an excuse not to do anything. I know you said she drinks but this sounds like clinical depression or something to me. How long has she been drinking?

Old 06-14-2014, 06:59 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times
I also think the alcohol is a factor in her behavior. Best wishes to you and your family. I hope you will be together soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology