Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
It's evolution. Why can't older people accept something that is no harm to them? I don't understand that at all. It's fine to be offended by someone if they do something wrong. I didn't choose to be this way, so why should I have to be miserable just to avoid offending people?
Explain "accept" as I might be one of those older people at age 60. And, "accept" what? That you want to live your life a certain way? We all do that. You don't have to be miserable just to avoid offending people. Do the rest of us just go around doing, dressing and acting the way we want? Think about it.

Quote:
Discrimination or any kind is NOT acceptable. Sorry.
Look up the term "discrimination" and see what it means and while at the dictionary, please look up "phobia" and maybe "hate".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Really, making up meaningless terms and using them to viciously label people who disagree with you is not acceptable behavior.

When you co-op the word phobia and the rainbow to shove your agenda down other people's throats, that is very off-putting, and explains why people perceive you negatively.

Just live your life, instead of forcing your lifestyle on the rest of the world.
Exactly. Do like the rest of us - "just live your life". I'm thinking you would like others to accept your behavior so that you'll feel better about yourself but it doesn't work that way. You have to accept yourself and not care what others say and do. We all do that on some level except for "sheeple"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Phobia does not mean hate, it means fear.
Thank you! I have no idea why less than 2% of the population would think that we would fear them. "Hate" is used to try to make the people feel guilty. It can't be that you don't agree with, don't believe in, have an opinion, but that you just "hate". Both "hate" and "phobia" are being used to try to push whatever agenda is the flavor of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
... and fear is the root of hatred.
But, we don't fear that less than 2% of the population. Why the heck would we fear them? You have my sympathy. We are talking about a behavior and/or a mental health issue. You want me to accept this as "normal" or accept it for what it is? It may be your "normal" but it isn't for society. In what ways do you feel discriminated against?

It just seems that everyone wants to scream that they are being discriminated against and, frankly, everyone is. I have an adult son with Down syndrome who is low-functioning so I don't have a lot of extra sympathy for people crying about being discriminated against!

I predict that you'll see the tide go back to being more conservative. As this younger generation that is so accepting gets older and have children of their own.....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Thank you! I have no idea why less than 2% of the population would think that we would fear them. "Hate" is used to try to make the people feel guilty. It can't be that you don't agree with, don't believe in, have an opinion, but that you just "hate". Both "hate" and "phobia" are being used to try to push whatever agenda is the flavor of the day.
Those two and "bigot".

All three are buzzwords used to bully non-conformists to agree exactly with what the politically correct gestapo dictates.

There is nothing "tolerant" about the agenda - the objective is forced acceptance.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:10 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
But, we don't fear that less than 2% of the population. Why the heck would we fear them? You have my sympathy. We are talking about a behavior and/or a mental health issue. You want me to accept this as "normal" or accept it for what it is? It may be your "normal" but it isn't for society. In what ways do you feel discriminated against?.
I myself don't feel in the least discriminated against, but let's be clear, you most certainly do fear that 2% of the population that dares to be different because of how they want to live their lives. That's why they are so very hated. All hate has it's roots in fear, and maybe someday you will learn that and see it clearly. You can call it a mental health issue or bash it as you please, but it's really just other people making choices to be their real selves in the world and that's really your problem with it because it's not your way.

I said what I did because I have a big issue with hate and as much as you try to cloak your views in mental health issues and normality you are really just coming from a position of fear and hate. Sorry but that's the truth of it at the end of the day.

I knew some of these people when I lived in San Francisco, and they were good and decent people just trying to live out their lives as themselves in the world. Sure, some had their issues, but not such that they needed to be hated and persecuted any more than you.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:13 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Just wanted to ask why transphobia is still widely accepted and almost encouraged by people? I had a pretty bad experience in another section is this forum having bore the brunt of some nasty comments. I just wondered if we will ever live in a time when transphobia is no longer tolerated just as racism and homophobia are not. It just seems to me that people are ignorant for the sake of being ignorant despite their being so much information out there now on the web.
Don't think "phopia" is the right term; hatred, strong dislike, pity, confusion about, revulsion towards, etc... yes, but that a person suffers from a pathological fear of trans persons...

Unlike homosexuality which is now seen as a "choice" or "preference" transgender is still a *mental* illness for which the treatment is various methods to cause the body to agree with the mind. It is only because transgender is listed in the DSM that various medical treatments including the administration of hormones and reassignment surgery is possible. Transgender is one of the few if any medical conditions where healthy human organs/tissue are purposely destroyed basically upon the wishes/desires of the individual.

Being as all this may many persons both straight *and* gay consider transgender persons, well to put it bluntly, sick. The idea that someone wants to change their sex is simply abhorrent and alien to these persons. Indeed it is rather recently that the transgender community has found any love in the overall gay community, especially the White/European and powerful wing of that party. For years transgender were not welcomed at gay clubs, bars, events etc.. unless they were the entertainment (drag shows, etc...). All over the United States and Europe where you found lively gay club/bar scenes transgender and or drag queens were often excluded from entering. A transgender woman told me when she visited Paris back in the 1980's and 1990's gay clubs and bars such as Le Queen would not admit her under any circumstances. Usually their response was the more common one found in France regarding the bias against admission of single women (the laws have since been changed to put a stop to that, but with limited success), but more often it was simply "pas femme/for men only".

When Barney Frank first tried to get a federal anti-discrimination law passed it was very heavy lifting enough, but keeping transgender on the ticket would doom it from the start. So the power (white) gays and Mr. Frank agreed to take TGs off the platform, but the bill still died anyway. Same thing happened in NYS when then state senate leader Joe Bruno stated he had no problems with an anti-discrimination bill for *gays* but not "trannies". Again transgender was dropped but the thing still died.

You'd be surprised at home many persons have no problems with gays, especially men, but draw the line at transgender person. Even Obama didn't fight too hard for the lone TS in his administration. She is heading some obscure office somewhere that few know of much less care about. Apparently the story put about is that Obama wanted to spare her the ordeal of senate's confirmation process.

To answer your question in summation; think many persons simply feel strongly against what they consider mutilation of one's God given body and altering of sex/gender into something contrary to one's birth. To them it is just wicked to go against religious/Bible teachings about men or women going about in clothing of the opposite sex and so forth, in short a major sin. How these same persons square calling out that sin, but accepting the other (homosexuality and or man laying with another) is a whole other story.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
I myself don't feel in the least discriminated against, but let's be clear, you most certainly do fear that 2% of the population that dares to be different because of how they want to live their lives. That's why they are so very hated.
Wrong.

Disagreeing with someone or their lifestyle does not = hate.

Nor is fear a factor.

See Harrier's post above - all you are doing is being a bully because someone doesn't fall in line behind you and your narrow point of view.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
I find it funny that when its about an alternate lifestyle (LGBT) its labelled as "shoving it down our throats" whereas when its in regards to heterosexuality its labelled as "normal". Im fairly certain that LGBT people dont want "normal' shoved down their throats but they do in the name of "societal acceptance". Those with alternate lifestyles have to be willing to accept their hetero peers in order to peacefully coexist in this world; the heteros should be willing to do the same.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Quote:
Discrimination or any kind is NOT acceptable. Sorry.
Of course it's not. But the majority of people sometimes do this and don't realize it because it's like human nature to them.

Myself, I've had racial slurs, weight taunts, discriminated against because of my age, work status/social class, I've experienced a lot of discrimination. So has a lot of other people as well. Unless it's violent in nature I let it go. Nothing I can do about it except to hang around people who accept me for what I am.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I find it funny that when its about an alternate lifestyle (LGBT) its labelled as "shoving it down our throats" whereas when its in regards to heterosexuality its labelled as "normal". Im fairly certain that LGBT people dont want "normal' shoved down their throats but they do in the name of "societal acceptance". Those with alternate lifestyles have to be willing to accept their hetero peers in order to peacefully coexist in this world; the heteros should be willing to do the same.
^

I agree with your post here.

Honestly, is "live and let live" such a bad approach to life?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Wrong.

Disagreeing with someone or their lifestyle does not = hate.

Nor is fear a factor.

See Harrier's post above - all you are doing is being a bully because someone doesn't fall in line behind you and your narrow point of view.
Denial is not a river in Egypt. You are displaying your fear.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:46 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
I myself don't feel in the least discriminated against, but let's be clear, you most certainly do fear that 2% of the population that dares to be different because of how they want to live their lives.
I apologize for asking, but are you LGBT yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology