Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:32 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times

Advertisements

The ratio of self declared transgenders is 3:1 male to female. That's not 'natural' but intentional. And hence less acceptable by the society. NOt surprising in a more and more feminized western world that more males want to escape pressure and turn female, however crude the outcome.

Here two of the studies verifying the ratio. There are plenty more.

The prevalence of transsexualism in Singapore - Tsoi - 2007 - Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica - Wiley Online Library

Prevalence, incidence and sex ratio of transsexualism - Land[]n - 2007 - Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica - Wiley Online Library
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
The ratio of self declared transgenders is 3:1 male to female. That's not 'natural' but intentional. And hence less acceptable by the society. NOt surprising in a more and more feminized western world that more males want to escape pressure and turn female, however crude the outcome.

Here two of the studies verifying the ratio. There are plenty more.

The prevalence of transsexualism in Singapore - Tsoi - 2007 - Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica - Wiley Online Library

Prevalence, incidence and sex ratio of transsexualism - Land[]n - 2007 - Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica - Wiley Online Library
Keep in mind that if your statistics here are accurate, it is worth noting that apparently it is (much) easier for biological males to transition to females than the reverse is.

Thus, rates of transitioning do not appear to be a good indicator in regards to the male:female ratio of transgender people.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Denial is not a river in Egypt. You are displaying your fear.
Speak for yourself.

Explain how Harrier is "afraid" of people who think they are the opposite gender.

Are you really going to psychoanalyze Harrier?

Show your credentials, doctor.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Just wanted to ask why transphobia is still widely accepted and almost encouraged by people? I had a pretty bad experience in another section is this forum having bore the brunt of some nasty comments. I just wondered if we will ever live in a time when transphobia is no longer tolerated just as racism and homophobia are not. It just seems to me that people are ignorant for the sake of being ignorant despite their being so much information out there now on the web.
The symptom first occurs with those who are afraid of stepping onto moving escalators. Transphobia is widely accepted because it encourages increased public transit ridership, and government subsidized public transportation should be encouraged (see Urban Planning forum). Couple that with rising prices of gasoline and there's a lot of people with 'Trans'-phobia. Along with the public health campaigns to reduce trans fats you can be sure "Trans" phobia is on the rise!

Seriously, in simplest terms people tend to avoid easily recognized self mutilated 'outliers' in society. I don't think it is 'fear', but, rather something that majority of population cannot understand nor has a desire to understand. And I don't know if it is 'understandable' based upon the paradigms of scientific inquiry to date. IMO it is simply not on most peoples radar 'to understand' as they have more pressing needs and priorities to address as they go about their day to day lives.

Depeche modes "People Are People" comes readily to mind.

Depeche Mode - People Are People (Remastered Video) - YouTube

Spend time in the relationship forum and you will find a lot of "conversation-phobia" with members of the opposite sex, "body component image phobia" in the fashion and beauty forum, "time lived comparison phobia" in the History forum, "partisan phobia" in the Politics and Other Controversies forum, it really is endless as one can make up 'phobias' for just about anything.

I did have coulrophobia after reading Stephen King's "It".

Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 PM

732 posts, read 968,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I find it funny that when its about an alternate lifestyle (LGBT) its labelled as "shoving it down our throats" whereas when its in regards to heterosexuality its labelled as "normal". Im fairly certain that LGBT people dont want "normal' shoved down their throats but they do in the name of "societal acceptance". Those with alternate lifestyles have to be willing to accept their hetero peers in order to peacefully coexist in this world; the heteros should be willing to do the same.
Good post!

I think it's ironic how heterosexuals claim the LGBT community is "shoving their lifestyles down throats" when there's heterosexuality being shoved down throats everywhere--in daily life, in the media, in movies. Heterosexuals get treated much better overall than LGBTs (and asexuals such as myself).

Last edited by 3rdGen SFan; 06-14-2014 at 12:44 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 02:29 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Good post!

I think it's ironic how heterosexuals claim the LGBT community is "shoving their lifestyles down throats" when there's heterosexuality being shoved down throats everywhere--in daily life, in the media, in movies. Heterosexuals get treated much better overall than LGBTs (and asexuals such as myself).
Theres a lot of things being "shoved down my throat" in the media for example, Miley Cyrus and her stupid antics, but this is what the media thinks is interesting. I think she is an abomination to life in general.

I want to say one thing - I know a transgender in real life. what i like about her is that she just does her thing, lives her life as a professional and I like what she does. She does not shove anything on anyone. I dont even think of her as anything but what she does for me in her profession... I wish more people would be like her. she is just living her life and not trying to force anything on anyone.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:00 AM

732 posts, read 968,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Theres a lot of things being "shoved down my throat" in the media for example, Miley Cyrus and her stupid antics, but this is what the media thinks is interesting. I think she is an abomination to life in general.
It's more like the media's shoving Miley Cyrus's over-sexuality down girls' throats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I want to say one thing - I know a transgender in real life. what i like about her is that she just does her thing, lives her life as a professional and I like what she does. She does not shove anything on anyone. I dont even think of her as anything but what she does for me in her profession... I wish more people would be like her. she is just living her life and not trying to force anything on anyone.
You're lucky to know someone like her. I never have met or had a transgendered person for a friend, but I did have a transvestite online chat buddy and have had gay, lesbian and bisexual friends throughout my offline life.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:39 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
You have to remember that there are a considerable number of older folks and conservative folks on this website. Those are two demographics that, no, aren't generally going to be too accepting of the trans community. To be fair, a lot of them are the same people who refer to people that support things like universal health care and encouraging higher education as "*******s." So, don't put too much value in their opinions. It's not that their opinions or values don't matter, it's just that they understand the world way differently than you or I do.

Anyway, I'd say that the media and the average person living in a western nation are accepting or at least tolerant of the T in LBGT because the media and the average person living in a western nation are pretty progressive. It takes a while for societies as a whole to adjust to new ways of thinking (because the whole includes those two groups I mentioned in the first paragraph), and acknowledging that transgender is a legitimate thing is still relatively new. We don't even have everyone on board with accepting homosexuality as a legitimate, normal occurrence yet, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that everyone isn't embracing you right away just because it's required by the Political Correctness Police.

As for how long until society does accept you...hell, we STILL struggle with racism - casual or intentional - in the US despite diversity being a reality for around three centuries now.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
People are often a lot meaner on the internet compared to real life.

This forum is dominated by middle-aged people and older people. Another forum I frequent is dominated by people under 30, and most users are either indifferent to or supportive of trans people. The users also condemn their parents and grandparents for their intolerance. It's a generational thing.

Last edited by passwithoutatrace; 06-14-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 01:46 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
People are often a lot meaner on the internet compared to real life.

This forum is dominated by middle-aged people and older people. Another forum I frequent is dominated by people under 30, and most users are either indifferent to or supportive of trans people. The users also condemn their parents and grandparents for their intolerance. It's a generational thing.
It IS a generational thing.

I remember well how I used to torture my mother with arguments that sounded a lot like Amy's. Only my subject material was LSD, smoking dope, long hair, communes. The theme was the same, though - people should be able to live exactly how they want to live and nobody should judge them for that. Drove her crazy. Which was exactly the purpose of it.

I still believe that, by the way, but don't think all the angst and drama needs to be added into the mix.

And after watching some of us smartypants second generation boomers try to take it to the limit and in the process self-destruct I now pause for thought when presented with the latest cultural changes. Unintended consequences and all.

And I'll add norm and normal to the dictionary assignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology