Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 01:52 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times

Advertisements

Sorry, again, for posting something similar to what I posted earlier, but I agree with most of you that I need to change my circumstances. There are so many things that I want and need to do, but I'm afraid to approach the people around me and ask for help. I feel like no one knows how bad I feel. Maybe I need to get help from outside my circle of friends. Do you think I should try to get on one of those TV shows that help people? If so, which one? Should I try getting the local news station to do a report on it? Student loans are still a hot topic. If you do not believe I should do this, what do you think I should do? I'm sorry, but I just don't think I have the experience or knowledge I would need to get out of this on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 02:16 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Many people have advised you to see a counselor, I think that would be a good first step.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:51 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
A counselor or a minister/pastor. If you are really lost, I don't think you need to belong to a church to reach out to someone for help. They may have other resources that can point you in the right direction.

I don't know what your issues are but I generally don't think reality TV or the media is the way to go. It gives you attention but not really sure how much it "helps".

Old 06-20-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
A counselor or a minister/pastor. If you are really lost, I don't think you need to belong to a church to reach out to someone for help. They may have other resources that can point you in the right direction.

I don't know what your issues are but I generally don't think reality TV or the media is the way to go. It gives you attention but not really sure how much it "helps".
Maybe I should see a counselor, but they don't observe you when you are trying to interact with people; they only listen to how you feel. They never see it.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:26 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Go see a therapist or a counselor, they don't need to see how you interact with people to help you. They will be able to tell what is needed through their interaction with you.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Many people have advised you to see a counselor, I think that would be a good first step.
^

Agreed; you should go see a counselor and/or a psychologist/psychiatrist. Doing this might be beneficial for you.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:19 PM

46 posts, read 49,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Sorry, again, for posting something similar to what I posted earlier, but I agree with most of you that I need to change my circumstances. There are so many things that I want and need to do, but I'm afraid to approach the people around me and ask for help. I feel like no one knows how bad I feel. Maybe I need to get help from outside my circle of friends. Do you think I should try to get on one of those TV shows that help people? If so, which one? Should I try getting the local news station to do a report on it? Student loans are still a hot topic. If you do not believe I should do this, what do you think I should do? I'm sorry, but I just don't think I have the experience or knowledge I would need to get out of this on my own.
Is this your school? If it is start there.
https://sites.google.com/a/southalab...chologyclinic/

Old 06-20-2014, 09:37 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Maybe I should see a counselor, but they don't observe you when you are trying to interact with people; they only listen to how you feel. They never see it.
I wish you would stop yourself from writing off advice with excuses. Maybe it won't help, maybe it will. The only way you're going to find out is to try. I don't know what you mean by they don't observe you trying to interact with people. Won't you be interacting with them? Aren't they people? if you have poor communication or social skills, don't you think that person will see that? But, but, but...time to DO. It's your life, the only one you're going to get, and how it turns out is totally dependent on the choices you make on a daily basis. You don't have to be this unhappy, try anything, try everything, there isn't going to be some magic bullet answer, and you're never going to know what's going to help until you stop analyzing your options and actually take a first step.

If you think the kids you teach, especially the teens, are rude and mocking towards you now, go on an intervention reality show and you'll find them 10x more brutal next year, if you would even be hired in a school after that. Do you think if people/students saw your sad tale of woe on the show, they would feel compassion for you and understand you and would then be nice to you? If so, you have a lot to learn about human nature, because IMO it would have the absolute opposite effect.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-20-2014 at 09:52 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wish you would stop yourself from writing off advice with excuses. Maybe it won't help, maybe it will. The only way you're going to find out is to try. I don't know what you mean by they don't observe you trying to interact with people. Won't you be interacting with them? Aren't they people? if you have poor communication or social skills, don't you think that person will see that? But, but, but...time to DO. It's your life, the only one you're going to get, and how it turns out is totally dependent on the choices you make on a daily basis. You don't have to be this unhappy, try anything, try everything, there isn't going to be some magic bullet answer, and you're never going to know what's going to help until you stop analyzing your options and actually take a first step.

If you think the kids you teach, especially the teens, are rude and mocking towards you now, go on an intervention reality show and you'll find them 10x more brutal next year, if you would even be hired in a school after that. Do you think if people/students saw your sad tale of woe on the show, they would feel compassion for you and understand you and would then be nice to you? If so, you have a lot to learn about human nature, because IMO it would have the absolute opposite effect.
That's true. I'm just pretty tired of where I am. I almost feel like it can't get worse, but maybe it can. You're right. Letting the world see me when I'm down would be a terrible idea; I wasn't thinking in terms of being presented in a negative light, though. I suppose there is a pretty good chance of that happening since most shows are concerned with ratings. Perhaps I should seek help privately or at least locally. If my local news channel thought my story was worthy of coverage, that would be a means of being heard. If things do turn sour, that's less damage done, at least. I think I should try seeking help privately first, though.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay_girl View Post
Is this your school? If it is start there.
https://sites.google.com/a/southalab...chologyclinic/
Yes, it is. I've gone to counseling there, though. The problem, in my eyes, is that I'm stuck in a rut and do not have the confidence to take the steps I need to get out. The counselor focused on my anxiety and sent me to someone who prescribed medication for depression. This was a little while ago. My circumstances were not changed. No one put me in contact with people who could help me find a job, pay student loans, meet new people, look and act normal, etc. They just gave me depression meds and sleeping meds and sent me on my way. I knew why I was unhappy, and no one made a strong effort to help me fix the problem, only the symptoms.

Last edited by krmb; 06-20-2014 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology