Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

When you're a teenager, it seems it's cool to be 'bad', a rebel, break the rules.etc...As a teen, I never really related to that attitude. I never wanted to cause mischief just because...and I think a lot, maybe most teens didn't. But it seems like many adults seem to believe that many teenagers or even other adults get kicks out of breaking the rules. Do you get this impression too? I mean it didn't mean I was a 'goody two shoes', I still drank, smoked pot.etc, but I didn't even consider those things that 'wrong' or bad. Of course you can go overboard, but what is wrong with being 'good' anyway and why is there this idea that so many people are so attracted to the 'forbidden fruit?' Maybe it's because they see the rules as BS, and breaking rules makes you liberated and devil-may-care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
I never did either and I don't know. when I break any kind of rule, I believe it is warranted.
I think it's funny though because it seems like a lot of the time teenagers have more class than adults. sure teens like to be rebellious and all that esp the teens of today but adults not only get mean to teenagers but they are rude to other adults as well. this is especially true with women and those in big business. I guess once the hormones really kick in, that's when they all lose it.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
I think teens are so monumentally self-absorbed that they just have no empathy for the feelings of others. It doesn't occur to them to think about how something coming out of their mouth or something they do or fail to do might impact someone else's emotional landscape. I wonder sometimes if the way a small baby hasn't figured out that they are physically separate from the rest of the world, a teen does not think the rest of the world has needs, desires, opinions or feelings -- all of those things belong exclusively to the teen.

I think this because if I'm honest, that's about the headspace I was in as a teen, despite that I was, relatively speaking, quite a compliant and easy child.

I realize there are exceptions that prove the rule, and personality variations that make it worse or better, but until most people get to their mid twenties or so they are pretty lacking in the empathy and impulse control departments as well as in the ability to connect actions with consequences and this makes them seem evil. The truth, usually, is they are actually that self-absorbed, impulsive and oblivious to others.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think teens are so monumentally self-absorbed that they just have no empathy for the feelings of others. It doesn't occur to them to think about how something coming out of their mouth or something they do or fail to do might impact someone else's emotional landscape. I wonder sometimes if the way a small baby hasn't figured out that they are physically separate from the rest of the world, a teen does not think the rest of the world has needs, desires, opinions or feelings -- all of those things belong exclusively to the teen.

I think this because if I'm honest, that's about the headspace I was in as a teen, despite that I was, relatively speaking, quite a compliant and easy child.

I realize there are exceptions that prove the rule, and personality variations that make it worse or better, but until most people get to their mid twenties or so they are pretty lacking in the empathy and impulse control departments as well as in the ability to connect actions with consequences and this makes them seem evil. The truth, usually, is they are actually that self-absorbed, impulsive and oblivious to others.
Yes, that's what they say. That's why some people are upset that the mandatory age to be convicted of a crime as an adult is below 18 in some states of the US, for instance. I think many teens are the exception, but I do remember as a teen I felt emotions more strongly and got blindly angry; in fact sometimes disturbingly so. Some teens also like to bully people/play cruel jokes on them. Unfortunately a few people never grow out of this phase.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:12 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When you're a teenager, it seems it's cool to be 'bad', a rebel, break the rules.etc...As a teen, I never really related to that attitude. I never wanted to cause mischief just because...and I think a lot, maybe most teens didn't. But it seems like many adults seem to believe that many teenagers or even other adults get kicks out of breaking the rules. Do you get this impression too? I mean it didn't mean I was a 'goody two shoes', I still drank, smoked pot.etc, but I didn't even consider those things that 'wrong' or bad. Of course you can go overboard, but what is wrong with being 'good' anyway and why is there this idea that so many people are so attracted to the 'forbidden fruit?' Maybe it's because they see the rules as BS, and breaking rules makes you liberated and devil-may-care?
Maybe it's easier being bad than good. Plus, maybe it has to do something with way the media portrays bad people. Maybe good people want to be that bad person who doesn't follow the rules but are too afraid or too wise to be bad.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times

Michael Jackson - Bad - YouTube

Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
I was a rebel teenager not because I wanted to be "bad" but because I was creating my own identity and freedom against the silly rules and conditions of society as I saw them. What most bores think is "Bad" is just another example of silly man made societal constructs. I never harmed anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology