Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 PM

331 posts, read 547,782 times

Advertisements

I don't hate my life, but I no longer find any impetus for trying to "maximize" it. What is there to maximize, anyhow? I'm in a crappy position in life and I have very limited abilities. At best, I could spend 10 hard years of trying to improve myself, and maybe then I'd have a decent life. But by then I'd also be 35 and past my prime years of really being able to enjoy life. I can almost understand the mindset of people who just want to cruise through life partying until they die an early death. Anyone else have these feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
35 is past your prime? Wtf?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:06 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
You need to learn to live in the present.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
I can almost understand the mindset of people who just want to cruise through life partying until they die an early death. Anyone else have these feelings?
Yep.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You need to learn to live in the present.
Seems to me that this post implicitly advocates living entirely in the present....

Old 06-27-2014, 04:19 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,524 times
So you're currently about 25 years old? Very young. Hmmm, so more information would be helpful if you really want meaningful feedback, what is your "crappy" situation? What are your limitations? What resources do you have or not have, i.e., financial [any savings?], housing [secure? roommates? living at home with parents?], education [HS grad?], transportation [car?], if you could do anything you wanted to do, be anything you wanted to be, any dreams? Any drug and alcohol issues? Any health issues? What do you see as barriers holding you back from living your life? This kind of information helps define your current situation and may lead to more helpful feedback.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 AM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times
OK, I'll be 60 next month and you have not even hit the "prime" years for happiness. Right now, you should be setting yourself in motion for those years BUT if you continue on the path you are, you'll have nothing. Being negative gets you no where. You have to have a vision for your life and it has to be something realistic and most people that feel life isn't worth living have unrealistic expectations about what their lives should be. You need to set some minor goals that you can accomplish so you can feel like you are moving forward. I cannot believe I will be 60 next month but when I reflect back on my life and what I have filled it with, not great jobs, not money, not a big expensive house and car, but memories and experiences, it seems like I must have been here 600 years and not 60. I am excited about planning for the next 20 years or more. My life has not been easy but I am a decedent of people that fought hard against the elements over the centuries and beat the odds that I am here today so that survival instinct was passed onto me and I decide whether or not to call upon it. I get weary of people seeing no value in life. I love life and my faith in God makes me "emotionally resilient". Find a passion and learn to appreciate life.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
You sound depressed. Get some help. It is way too early in life to throw in the towel. My goodness, you are only 25. Lots of life left for you, and why spend it feeling the way you do?

Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 AM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
35 is past your prime? Wtf?
Yeah, what kind of nonsense is that? He's even got a plan for getting his s__t together by the time he's 35 and then he's got somewhere between 35 and 65 years to enjoy the benefits of his hard work.

If I had had my s__t together by the time I was 35 I would have been THRILLED.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
I don't hate my life, but I no longer find any impetus for trying to "maximize" it. What is there to maximize, anyhow? I'm in a crappy position in life and I have very limited abilities. At best, I could spend 10 hard years of trying to improve myself, and maybe then I'd have a decent life. But by then I'd also be 35 and past my prime years of really being able to enjoy life. I can almost understand the mindset of people who just want to cruise through life partying until they die an early death. Anyone else have these feelings?
I just want to comment on what I bolded.

You are young enough to do something about your situation. But you have decide if you even want that or continue to mope and feel sorry for yourself. For me, especially if I was your age, the choice would be easy.

Re-invent yourself. Ask yourself what you like or what you can tolerate in order to make yourself more marketable. Chances are it will take less time than you think. Bringing home a decent paycheck along with doing something you may enjoy doing will be worth it in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology