Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:34 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times

Advertisements

Interesting. Yes, I think many people hear running water, vents, wind, etc., as human voices at times. Just seek help if you actually begin to understand the voices and they start directing you to do strange things. Sometimes, I hear music in my head; it's not really music, just my ears misunderstanding the world around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 12:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
I agree with Nepenthe that it could be pareidolia.

In mental health, we refer to this kind of thing as a sensory "illusion" as opposed to a sensory hallucination.

If a person sees human faces on a blank wall, or just floating in front of him, that's a visual hallucination.
But if a person sees human faces in patterns on wallpaper, that's a visual illusion.

If a person hears voices in a silent room, that's an auditory hallucination.
But if a person hears what sounds like voices in the midst of some kind of droning noise, that's an auditory illusion.

So if you experience something when there is no outside stimuli to explain it, it's a hallucination. If you're experiencing something only in presence of some kind of sensory stimuli, it's an illusion.

Hallucinations are mostly attributable to a substance, or to a mental illness like schizophrenia or a psychotic phase of a mood disorder like bipolar disorder.

Illusions can just happen in a "normal" person without any substance use or mental illness. They are very common with different kinds of substance use, even long after a substance is ingested. For example, I (cough cough) used hallucinogens in college, and after that, I could see pictures, usually faces or animals shapes, in patterns in wallpaper, fabric, or busy carpet. It was more common for about 10 years after I used, but now, even 20+ years later, I still tend to see vague faces or shapes of animals when I look at busy patterns. Those are visual illusions.

I've had clients with serious mental illnesses who have experienced hallucinations also experience illusions before they get completely psychotic and have actual hallucinations. A typical example would be a guy with schizophrenia who has heard voices, clearly and distinctly, talking to him when he's been in a psychotic phase of his illness. When he's stable, he doesn't hear voices. But when he just beginning to get psychotic again, or maybe he's just started forgetting to take his meds regularly, he starts to hear voices in the whirring of a fan, or in the static when he turns the radio between stations. Those are illusions that happen to be a precursor to actual hallucinations.

The link the other person posted about pareidolia talks about recognizing forms within some kind of sensory pattern. So the droning noise of the running water is the background pattern, and the "form" you're perceiving is the blurry voices. The busy wallpaper I see is the background pattern, but the pictures of dogs I can see in it are the forms.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:03 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
You're probably just describing an auditory illusion. You know how when you look in a room out of the corner of your eye and you think for a split second that you see someone standing there, but then you look squarely at it and it was just a shadow or a coat rack? Optical illusion. Sounds can do the same thing. You mind just patches the relatively random sounds together into half-heard voices and distant laughter that vanishes when you shut off the shower. I would be interested to know if the same thing happens in a different shower, with a different echo and so forth.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Yes, I experience it often. I think it's doubtful anyone is ever the only one to do or think of something. I don't put much stock in some of the guesswork posted and what I hear is not Pareidolia as I do not consider it significant in any way.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
that sounds like something on the tv show Brain Games. the show was fun and interesting, but what it has do with here is - sometimes your brain puts together sights and sounds and its like it tries to make the best out of what you are seeing or hearing, but sometimes it doesn't and you get strange sensations because thats how your brain decided to process it.

really, your brain functions with a neural network and lets say you get a bad connection, a lot of strange things can happen. after watching that show, its a wonder that we do process things so well every day.

I think if i were in the shower and heard a bunch of sounds that sounded like voices, it might be that my brain is processing the sound of the water and its choosing to make it sound like voices, but its not really.

I'm not a doctor but thats what it could be.

or maybe you have a part in your brain that has an injury and when that part of the brain gets triggered by the neurons, thats what it interprets it.

without a checkup it could be a lot of things. maybe its the way your ear is processing it.. maybe theres something going on with your ear medically or maybe its just a fluke. just get your ears checked out and see if anything is going on. if not, then you can rule out various possibilities.

I sometimes get deja vu which is a totally strange sensation that comes over me that it feels like I am looking at something and then deja vu begins all of a sudden and then I get this totally weird sensation that "I've seen this before". it feels very real while it is happening but then that sensation goes away in a minute, but it felt like a real thing, when it was just deja vu (which i cant explain what that is or why that happens).

Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 PM

56 posts, read 178,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
This has happened to me. I am not bipolar, but I am clairaudient (I do not actually think that makes any difference, though).

...but I figure that with all of the sounds around us, some of them are naturally going to fall into the pitch and cadence of human speech, and since the human brain is programmed to make sense of what is going on around it, we will try to make those sounds into something that makes sense.

This is a natural function of sound and hearing. It is not spirits trying to communicate with us, or anything else supernatural. As a shamanic practitioner and a medium, I know the difference.
I thought about that, too. That the sound of the water spraying, mixed with the splash it creates
on the tub, mixed with whatever (quiet)natural sounds might be travelling in from outside...
was mingling into a mix of ghostly voices.

Then again. to counter what other people on here have been suggesting,
why did I only hear the voices when the water would run.

Then when I shut if off, only silence. ?

The person that posted the video (above) is making the same claim as you,
kinda, and I'm not debunking it.
Just saying that I wasn't dealing with an ocean surf; which is a much greater
body of water, which creates a louder crash.

This is just water from a shower head.

?

***I sometimes would think , that with all the waves travelling in the air all day long,
Tv waves, radio waves, cellular phones, microwaves, etc....

That maybe when water is running, it disrupts (or harnesses) the millions/billions of
waves around it , and causes us to hear all of the many sounds flying around us and bouncing
all around us without end. And some of us can hear it, if we pay attention.
Sometimes we hear it without even wanting to.

Any thought on this?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 PM

99,524 posts, read 4,489,705 times
OP I know what you mean. I use white noise when I go to bed at night and I occasionally hear what sounds like voices and even music in the white noise. It actually helps me to drift off.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:56 AM

56 posts, read 178,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
OP I know what you mean. I use white noise when I go to bed at night and I occasionally hear what sounds like voices and even music in the white noise. It actually helps me to drift off.
Seriously? That's weird. but kinda awesome at the same time.

Isn't 'white noise' a sound that is at a decibal that the human ear can't hear,
because it's too low, but it drowns out other sound if you play it loud enough.
And since it's actually LOUD, that it can harm your ears??

Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenvilleMan View Post

?

***I sometimes would think , that with all the waves travelling in the air all day long,
Tv waves, radio waves, cellular phones, microwaves, etc....

That maybe when water is running, it disrupts (or harnesses) the millions/billions of
waves around it , and causes us to hear all of the many sounds flying around us and bouncing
all around us without end. And some of us can hear it, if we pay attention.
Sometimes we hear it without even wanting to.

Any thought on this?
Interesting! That makes sense! (coming from a non-scientific person). but I would not be surprised about that theory being true.

Going a step further, since we only use 10% of our brains, what if the OP had a more developed brain to be able to hear these sounds.

It is a true fact that a lot of times your brain sees something, like a sentence, but some of the words are not there, so you read it, but you dont see words missing, but in order to make sense your brain fills in the missing words and you see words that were not there. its a kind of optical illusion. ok so maybe the OP is hearing too much quiet, and his brain is filling in the emptiness with sounds. the brain is trying to fill in the void.. i dont know but i think there is a logical explanation for it.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:09 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Just a thought. I wonder if the converse would ever happen?

Do you hear running-water when there is voices. Am I the only one?

I wonder if at times if people ever hear the sound of a distant unseen crowd and have it sound like running water to them?

Experiment

If you heard these sounds of an angry mob and could not see the cause could you mistake it for Running water?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology