Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of being a child in the car and putting my ear to the wind at the open window. I thought I could hear angels singing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:48 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenvilleMan View Post
Isn't 'white noise' a sound that is at a decibal that the human ear can't hear,
because it's too low, but it drowns out other sound if you play it loud enough.
No.

Colors of noise

White noise is an equal amplitude at every frequency. Because of the nature of frequencies / octaves, it tends to sound very "trebly." Pink or brown noise is more pleasant and more often used by "white noise generators" such as this one that I use: LectroFan

Last edited by Nepenthe; 06-28-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 12:50 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Sure, I've had auditory illusions but since I know they are "mis-perceptions", I don't fret about it.
While in the shower with water running, I've thought I heard the telephone ring-
sometimes that turns out to have been the case, but other times not.

Same with the sound of voices or other noises intruding-
it's due to the ambiguous/undifferentiated quality of the sound of water rushing, which nudges the brain to pick out a pattern-any pattern-from it,
so as to make sense/derive information from the environment-even if that info. turns out to be mistaken/irrelevant.

Just as there is a bias towards thinking that a branch swaying could mean there is a person and/or predator behind it.

The costs of a false positive ("huh, that turned out to be nothing-what a relief, I'm safe" )
are worth the benefits of avoiding a false negative ("oops, turns out that was a thing, after all-drat !" ) and being eaten/ended.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Seems like we all are saying that its the brain's way to fill in all this sound overflowing into the brain, that it has to make sense out of it, so the OP's brain is interpreting it as voices or music or whatever.

I can also believe that the water is picking up random sound waves traveling thru the air and his ear is acting like a radio picking up those sounds.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:48 PM

check out this link for tinnitus - it maybe what the OP is describing, this article actually talks about some of the things he is saying (and what some of us have been saying).

Tinnitus—What Tinnitus is; What Causes Tinnitus; How to Control Tinnitus

Old 06-28-2014, 02:50 PM

This link describes "musical ear syndrome" which is also EXACTLY what the OP describes, i think someone above also mentioned it. I'd say he has musical ear syndrome.

Musical Ear Syndrome (MES)

Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
check out this link for tinnitus - it maybe what the OP is describing, this article actually talks about some of the things he is saying (and what some of us have been saying).

Tinnitus—What Tinnitus is; What Causes Tinnitus; How to Control Tinnitus
However it seems to me the OP is identifying an external sound source.

I believe what the OP, and others, describe is best described as an illusion or misidentification.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
However it seems to me the OP is identifying an external sound source.

I believe what the OP, and others, describe is best described as an illusion or misidentification.
Yes, i can beleive that phantom sounds we think we hear are outside are really not real, UNLESS they are real sounds but he just doens't know where they come from.. but if you are hearing a phantom sound, then it would feel like they are really outside.

kinda like when i got my deja vu phantom feeling like when i was somewhere and deja vu comes over me and i get a strong sensation, like I've been here before, but then it goes away a minute later. but it really feels like a real feelling.

when i was a little kid, i used to lay on my side, (the side of my face also against the pillow.. i used to hear marching sounds. even dreamed it. well later in life, i realize i was hearing the blood pumping thru my vein on the side of my face ,, i think around my temple close to my ear .. weird that was, but there was a logical explanation for it.

ok now you all will think im coo coo

Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Yes. Any continuous white or ambient noise, it also sounds to me like there is a radio on in a distant room and the announcer is droning on and on. I first noticed this when I was about 6 or 7, riding in the family car, in the back seat, with the road noise making me think the car radio was on faintly, but it wasn't.

I suspect that the reason for this might be because human speech is so essential to civilization, that the ear is tuned to be constantly alert for it all the time, and to pick voice-like elements out of white noise.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes. Any continuous white or ambient noise, it also sounds to me like there is a radio on in a distant room and the announcer is droning on and on. I first noticed this when I was about 6 or 7, riding in the family car, in the back seat, with the road noise making me think the car radio was on faintly, but it wasn't.

I suspect that the reason for this might be because human speech is so essential to civilization, that the ear is tuned to be constantly alert for it all the time, and to pick voice-like elements out of white noise.
Makes sense. A possible explanation. we do seem to want to find patterns in things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology