Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 01:32 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,400,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so how about this theory? Your brain hears sounds and then interprets them into what we call hearing. Could be the brain is misinterpreting the sound and thats what you are hearing. or there are too many sounds so the brain just chooses certain ones for you to hear.. or your brain is remembering something in your past and you hear the shower water, and now your brain retrieves that memory and now you have what is like an illusion and you think aha thats people talking, but its really a memory you might have forgotten.
That sounds very similar to when a person lays down on the grass on a warm summer day and after a while notices that the clouds resemble familiar objects...oh, look! Doesn't that cloud look like a duck?

Isn't one's brain constantly trying to detect patterns in the senses that it receives from it's ears and eyes, allowing you to sometimes see or hear something that's really not there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 06:03 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
That sounds very similar to when a person lays down on the grass on a warm summer day and after a while notices that the clouds resemble familiar objects...oh, look! Doesn't that cloud look like a duck?

Isn't one's brain constantly trying to detect patterns in the senses that it receives from it's ears and eyes, allowing you to sometimes see or hear something that's really not there?
Yes!! Thats what I'm thinking! Your brain interprets all the sights, sounds and scenes around you and i think sometimes it sends you the wrong signals. imagine, your brain has remembered everything since day 1 of your life, but it would be overload if you could remember everything 100%. so sometimes when you see something, your brain remembers it from maybe day 3 of your life and sends you a memory. now you think why does that thing look like that? well, its your brain bringing to you a long forgotten memory.. I mean what you said is true, but i also added my thought here, some one did a lecture on this thing. brains are very interesting! (thats also why you sense danger when a complete stranger comes by, something your brain remembers that a person who looked like that person was bad to you, so now you perceive this new person as a danger. you dont even realize why you perceived that 2nd person in that way. its your brain!

Old 12-07-2023, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 180 times
Lightbulb I am crazy but even my dogs pick up on it sometimes

With the idea of "I already know I'm crazy" in mind, I was beginning to think I was even crazier.

I just found this post and I would say that I feel like its more of a imprint on the universe replaying. I've just never paid attention enough to or something, because I didn't start hearing it until 2 years ago... and im almost 50.

When I purchased my current home, it was love at first walk... I instantly couldn't wait to make it mine,. It was very shortly after I moved in that I felt it.... just something else that was here. I couldn't look, wouldn't look into the.mirror in the main bathroom for 3 years! I didn't want to see or know, what was going to be staring back at me. It was a year amd a half after moving in that my life began to fall apart. One piece at a time... there was a person who walked through my door one evening and said "How do you just live with that?" Whatever it was, he could feel the negativity coming off of it. He was the only person who had EVER said anything about it. And that's when it started.

Conversations. Laughter. Voices I knew AND the common phrases that went with the voices. I heard a lot of muffled conversations where i couldn't quite make out everything to specific statements that I could hear, but were like a recording of an old conversation that I had previously heard. In my home I have roughly 10-12 fish tanks and they ALL have filters that hang on them and there is a constant "running water" sound in my home. (Don't judge... fish and their care can be quite calming for me. Especially after a particularly rough day.). Then a friend came over who is a bit... let's just say he requires a special kind of person to listen to him, but he's super in tune with the chaos that is our universe. It was actually him that mentioned the voices in the water. .

It can be a woman's voice, a man's, a child's... happy, angry, sad, or no particular emotion...conversations of multiple people or sometimes just a one sided conversation... often times it's music... usually, something I've listened to in the previous couple of days.

I appreciate the explanation. It makes absolute sense.

At least I'm not getting crazier.

Old 12-10-2023, 12:07 PM

8,478 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Only when I listen to a babbling brook.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:17 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
. . .Sounds of running water can sound similar to people talking but not distinctively with recognizable words. I've experienced that when getting close to Brooks and water falls when out hiking in the woods. I find sounds of the ocean have a similar effect
. . .
Hence the expression "babbling brook". That's an old expression so this must be a relatively common thing.

Just the brain trying to perceive the world. Not a big deal.

Old 12-25-2023, 01:34 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,396,366 times
Hearing voices under those circumstances? Nothing paranormal or schizophrenic at all. Commonplace reaction to the sounds of water, or even an air conditioner. Though it can be quite annoying.

Old 12-26-2023, 12:30 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,341,473 times
I mean when water is running, there are a wide variety of sound frequencies depending on how the water is hitting the surfaces. So I can understand hearing "voices" or crowds in running water. I could understand hearing "voices" and other human sounds in heavy rain.

Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 13 times
Default Talking water

It is true as I’ve been hearing it & learning the cause of it for the past 3 years, people that say it’s some sort of mental health problem, auditory hallucinations, where any kind of metal title for that matter may be right on some people but not I, that’s right. I’ve been following it and I’ve been on my own with this figuring out who’s behind it, I have recordings and it took me this long, but there is friends and family members, that finally gave me their apology that was long overdue, they hear it as well and sometime I have to slow down the recording. They even try to make it sound like water and it is a group of people that are on some kind of group chat and doesn’t have anything better to do or I don’t know what the reason is behind us, but they use the algorithm of sound, at least they are from if I can figure out how to load the recordings I have I will, I am new to this, but I just googled if anyone else has been experiences these things and I just registered, but it’s going to be a mind blower And someone has to pay for this, they were trying to make me go crazy or something, but I narrow it down and I have the proof now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology