Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:00 PM

304 posts, read 395,080 times

Advertisements

A Psychopath must meet very specific criteria--as does a Narcissist. For instance to be diagnosed with NPD the main criteria are the following; effects of three key identifying (and interlocking) traits, as follows: a lack of empathy for others, connected to a compulsive need to prove own superior status (which would be impossible if they seek to empathize, right?), coupled with taking pleasure in hurting or treating those considered inferior or weak with scorn or disdain (a competition of sorts, to win with displays of superiority, making others feel like losers, etc.).

Without the presence of the three interlocking traits of — lack of empathy, compulsive need to prove superiority and seeking pleasure in (hurting) treating others with scorn or disdain — it’s not narcissism.

I experienced a malignant narcissist. Common sense prevails in an abusive relationship, as does the power of knowledge.

Dr. Hare in his book 'Snakes in Suits' says the Malignant Narcissist is a very virulent form of narcissism- that is very close to Psychopathy. Hare himself admits he himself has been conned by a Psychopath in his work. 'Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work'- is Co written by Hare.

The list of those jobs most suited for Psychopaths is interesting .
Least likely professions for psychopaths:

1. Care aide

2. Nurse

3. Therapist

4. Craftsperson

5. Beautician/Stylist

6. Charity worker

7. Teacher

8. Creative artist

9. Doctor

10. Accountant…

The malignant Narcissist I knew was in fact a Chef.
There are few things we do on a daily basis that are more intimate than eating food. The sustenance we put in our body can heal us, warm us, increase our pleasure and decrease our stress. It can also poison us, infect us or outright kill us. The seduction and love of food is very powerful — and controlling it, corrupting it, or being worshiped for creating it can greatly appeal to the egomaniac.

Last edited by newerabuzz; 06-28-2014 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,539,003 times
The mention of names including Rahm Emmanuel and Putin, without any reference to how they fit the criteria, smells of an agenda.
Facts mixed with pseudo-facts are not the best mix, and sure don't establish credibility.

In other words, I think the OP has some bs to sell.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 PM

325 posts, read 369,798 times
I've never worked for a psychopath--for money, that is. My psychopathic mother made me do plenty of her work, though, growing up. I agree the term is overused to the point we just use it synonymously with "a--hole." True psychopaths are really frightening with their utter lack of conscience or regard for the truth. Take my mom, for example. She used to talk about how my babies would die of cancer because of my sins. She steals prescription pads from doctor's offices. When I was five, she stole $100 from my grandmother and let me be punished for it. She once left a puppy in a hot shed and when she came home and found it dead, weepingly told everyone it ran away and had the neighborhood looking for it. Pssyyyychhooo....

Old 06-28-2014, 11:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,963,836 times
Psychopath vs Sociopath - Difference and Comparison | Diffen Psychopath vs. Sociopath

Here is a breakdown of some symptoms of each disorder, and a comparison chart for the different disorders.

Many years ago, I was under the impression that the term sociopath was the newer term for psychopath. Apparently the thinking has changed.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:11 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,332,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Psychopath vs Sociopath - Difference and Comparison | Diffen Psychopath vs. Sociopath

Here is a breakdown of some symptoms of each disorder, and a comparison chart for the different disorders.

Many years ago, I was under the impression that the term sociopath was the newer term for psychopath. Apparently the thinking has changed.
These definitions do change over time and perhaps what was considered a psychopath today isn't what was considered one years ago.
To those who say that some people are just a-holes being labeled as a psychopaths; that begs the question, what is an a-hole? A psychopath-lite? I don't think letting people off with just being called an a-hole is helpful.
I don't know for sure if the guy I worked for was a psychopath as he wasn't given an analysis, but he does fit a number of the characteristics listed in the article and his behavior was more controlled and not so erractic as listed for what a sociopath is. There was evidence he had physically abused his girlfriend.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:18 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,332,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
The mention of names including Rahm Emmanuel and Putin, without any reference to how they fit the criteria, smells of an agenda.
Facts mixed with pseudo-facts are not the best mix, and sure don't establish credibility.

In other words, I think the OP has some bs to sell.
No I don't have an agenda beyond what I wrote. The writer of the article may have one, but I didn't even know who Rahm Emmanuel was until I looked him up. It's only a small part of the article anyway and not very relevant. The writer himself admits he comes at this as a layman working in the field of employment management, not a psychologist.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:40 AM

609 posts, read 803,747 times
Yes. I taught at a charter school in Tucson, AZ and the founder/leader of the school was a sociopath. A few months into the school year on the very day that she told the staff that they were getting a 12% pay cut, she had a professional car cleaning service in the parking lot cleaning her car and her husband's car. She paid herself 80,000 a year while not buying any, not even pencils, for the teachers. She wore designer clothing, the type with the Louis Vuitton logo all over it, every day while we struggled to buy the pencils. She also had a new expensive hair weave every week. She would not tell the teachers if they had a job for the next year until the last day of school and told them with an envelope. She cut the employees health insurance, bounced paychecks, all without ever apologizing.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:52 AM

26,611 posts, read 26,512,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The terms seem to get confused. From what I've read, the definition below seems the most clear:

"....If you subscribe to the HarePCL-R criteria for a psychopath, then you see the conning, manipulative, narcissistic liar and user as a psychopath, as long as he or she is completely lacking in remorse or empathy. The sociopath, however, is capable of guilt, caring, building relationships, etc., but only within a certain context. He or she will have loyalties to a specific group but not to society at large. They care nothing for social norms and will break them with impunity if it serves their purpose. So, on the surface, they may resemble psychopaths. However, they might genuinely feel remorse over harming someone within their group or family. They will have a moral code specific to that context: they might not lie, exploit, or manipulate within the group. Thus, they exhibit psychopathic behaviors in certain contexts but not all. As far as I know, there is no equivalent diagnostic tool (to the PCL-R) for a sociopath."

-Dr. Katherine Ramsland, MA Forensic Psychology, MA Clinical Psychology, PhD inPhilosophy, publisher of over 35 books, including The Human Predator: AHistorical Chronology of Criminal Murder and Forensic Investigation.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:30 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,666,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
To those who say that some people are just a-holes being labeled as a psychopaths; that begs the question, what is an a-hole?
Raises the question, not begs it.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:10 PM

11,935 posts, read 8,260,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Especially here on C-D.

I suspect very few people holding those jobs would score as a psychopath using the Hare Checklist. Do they often possess personality traits making them the lives of normal humans quite unpleasant? Yes. Especially if you marry one or work for one. But I believe VERY few people with the intelligence to hold those jobs are psychopaths. Sociopaths, sure. I never met a surgeon who wasn't a narcissist. Having worked directly for several CEOs, I'd say they're more likely than the average citizen to show symptoms of sociopathy. But psychopathy ... no way. How many CEOs kill people? Bankrupt them. Sure. Sen them off to therapy questioning their own sanity. Likely. But even considering the ones I found to be most dangerous, it would be over-dramatizing to label them psychopaths. Most of the others on the list are likely to exhibit what is jokingly referred to as "celebrity derangement syndrome." But no matter how diva-ish or dangerous their behavior seems, they would fail to qualify as psychopaths under accepted criteria.

The Insider is a syndicated celebrity gossip and entertainment new television program. On a slow news day they run stories trivializing very serious subjects and quote people like Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil as experts.
I agree - very few are among us. So it makes sense that very few of them would be in those jobs. But some time and patience and it wouldn't be difficult to provide case histories, I'm sure.

And many here seem to have some confusion differentiating between sociopathy and psychopathy, but that point has already been made.

However it is known that psychopaths seek control over others and it makes sense that if they are inclined to work these may be the sorts of jobs they would choose. It would be a mistake to say that no psychopaths work in these jobs based on the reporting source. Any entertainment magazine can trivialize truth to make it entertaining for the masses.

I think we are in agreement that:

1. People confuse the two

2. There are few psychopaths in the population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology