Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 02:27 PM

129 posts, read 170,903 times

Advertisements

A psychology question...
Is it just to feel like where the "life" is at?
I'm headed to house party here, and when get there I intend on meeting everyone there. That's kind of the nature of house parties right?

But when it comes to public parties people don't really interact much outside the group they came with. I've been watching people and groups of people slowly show up to the apartment pool party today. In the whole day none of the people have interacted with anyone they didn't already come with. A lot of people only came with 1 other person and are just sitting on lawn chairs with just... that 1 other person all day, some are entranced in their iphones. The largest group is 6.

This is strange to me because I see the same phenomenon all the time - at bars, city parties, hermann park, discovery green... I mean why don't these people come when it's less crowded and the pool is cleaner and more peaceful? Why come to the party if you don't want to talk to anyone? It's like not taking part in the party, and it's really weird when no ones doing it... I'm sure some people will eventually talk to someone outside their group, but it sure is rare, and slow to happen if it happens at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:43 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
This probably is the wrong forum for such a question. There is a psychology forum on city-data.

//www.city-data.com/forum/psychology/

Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM

398 posts, read 394,499 times
I always meet people at public parties just like I meet people at public bars. Most people lack social skills these day though. IMO it's a byproduct of facebook, twitter, forums and having a cell phone stuck up their asses all day. Many simply don't know how to interact with a stranger in person anymore.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:32 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
I always meet people at public parties just like I meet people at public bars. Most people lack social skills these day though. IMO it's a byproduct of facebook, twitter, forums and having a cell phone stuck up their asses all day. Many simply don't know how to interact with a stranger in person anymore.
Reading through your previous posts.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 PM

398 posts, read 394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Reading through your previous posts.
What do my previous post have anything to do with my last post?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:26 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Hummm... Now that I think about it, I've noticed the same thing! And this happened before cell phones were around. I've gone to parties at a restaurant or bar and few people mingle with others.

Psychology is a good one for this... And I'll bet it has something to do with a "conditioned response" or "expectations" of behavior when in a bar or restaurant as opposed to being in a private house.

I can't put my finger on it... But I do feel more "free" when at someone's house. And I do feel more "restricted" when in a public place. (As to my behavior - what I can and can't do.)

Old 07-05-2014, 02:27 PM

66 posts, read 166,848 times
This is definately a tough question and a very interesting observation.

First of all, I think people generally are not comfortable meeting new people so they is why they stay with the people they came with the whole time. It provides a safe haven.

With your observation on why people don't come when it's less crowded I believe that people want to feel as if they are in the center of the action. Therefore if they came during an "off peak hour" they would feel like they are missing something. Even though someone who comes to a party at its most crowded time may not interact with anyone they feel more accomplished because they feel they saw the most number of activities going on and displayed to others that they were there.

I don't know if that makes sense but it sorta does to me. Could be right or could be way off.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:04 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
its better than sitting in your house alone on a holiday when you could be outside at the pool party enjoying the fresh air and pool. and who knows, maybe someone will offer you a beer!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
I think the kind of parties where you go but don't talk to anyone are the domain of the young and single. The main point seems to be to look good and attract the attention of the opposite sex, even if you don't talk to them. As an adult, I don't go to parties like that or even know about them. There just wouldn't be any point.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I think the kind of parties where you go but don't talk to anyone are the domain of the young and single. The main point seems to be to look good and attract the attention of the opposite sex, even if you don't talk to them. As an adult, I don't go to parties like that or even know about them. There just wouldn't be any point.
that must be why I didn't feel like i fit into the 20 somethings at a recent party. They were nice but i just didn't feel like i had anything in common with them.. but im pretty much an introvert and am pretty much happy about it, but still i did strongly notice that i felt like an alien from another planet there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology