Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 12:29 PM

336 posts, read 590,664 times

Advertisements

These days when there's plenty of Photoshop and video editing software, no one stops to point out something that looks weird. If a kid is holding up a piece of paper and there's a neat quote written on it, everyone starts assuming that the kid must have written it himself. If there's a video of a celebrity look-alike doing something or saying something questionable, everyone's so quick to judge these celebrities and get all worked up.

Does no one stop to wonder if these things are real before commenting on them?

With the internet age and plenty of trolling, I suspect some trolling when it comes to viral content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,340,483 times
-Which is precisely why I NEVER, ever, ever, ever, ever click "like" and/or "share" on any of those memes I see on Facebook that explicitly SAY "like and share if you like/agree".

I don't care what it is or what it says or what it depicts. No matter how much I might otherwise like it, I don't ever pass on anything that carries a request to do so.

If it's good enough to stand on its own, then I usually will. And it's also usually either genuinely funny/factual/informative. Which means whoever created it doesn't need to beg for attention by urging us to like and share.

A good rule of thumb to live by is if anything contains verbiage along the lines of "shocking", "must see", "urgent", "please pass this on", "A friend told me", "hilarious", ad nauseum, there is a better than 99.9% chance it's complete and total garbage, a mix of half-truths or out-of-context information, outright fiction, or all of the above.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:49 PM

336 posts, read 590,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
-Which is precisely why I NEVER, ever, ever, ever, ever click "like" and/or "share" on any of those memes I see on Facebook that explicitly SAY "like and share if you like/agree".

I don't care what it is or what it says or what it depicts. No matter how much I might otherwise like it, I don't ever pass on anything that carries a request to do so.

If it's good enough to stand on its own, then I usually will. And it's also usually either genuinely funny/factual/informative. Which means whoever created it doesn't need to beg for attention by urging us to like and share.

A good rule of thumb to live by is if anything contains verbiage along the lines of "shocking", "must see", "urgent", "please pass this on", "A friend told me", "hilarious", ad nauseum, there is a better than 99.9% chance it's complete and total garbage, a mix of half-truths or out-of-context information, outright fiction, or all of the above.
Yeah.

Sometimes you see videos where everyone's like "this is so offensive" or "that's inappropriate!" and the commenters are like "it's a joke!" or "obviously they're kidding." But with other material, no one suspects any trolling or tries to point out any inconsistencies which might suggest that it's fake, especially when it comes to pictures. In the age of photoshop and editing software on our computers, no one questions whether or not some "viral content" was made up on the spot.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:56 PM

17,628 posts, read 15,327,179 times
You have to research. I somehow (and apparently alot of the country) missed this one when it originally happened.

After House Fire Killed 2 Kids, Aunt more Worried about Food Stamps : Freedom Outpost

Please to be ignoring the political slant of the article.. I don't want to turn this topic into a political one. That happened in 2009, went viral in late 2013.. And I never heard about it until a couple of weeks ago.

I did some research on it, because I thought it HAD to be a joke.. Nope.

I do laugh my butt off when people fall for the "Dihydrogen Monoxide" thing.

Snopes USED to be a good resource.. But.. They put some of the silliest ones up there now.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,031,451 times
I question everything.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:44 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,515,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
These days when there's plenty of Photoshop and video editing software, no one stops to point out something that looks weird. If a kid is holding up a piece of paper and there's a neat quote written on it, everyone starts assuming that the kid must have written it himself. If there's a video of a celebrity look-alike doing something or saying something questionable, everyone's so quick to judge these celebrities and get all worked up.

Does no one stop to wonder if these things are real before commenting on them?

With the internet age and plenty of trolling, I suspect some trolling when it comes to viral content.
Yes. I especially pay attention when it's political in nature (no matter which side) and it just doesn't seem quite right. Before I repost, if it interests me, I research. I've been neglectful a few times and have been embarrassed to find out that some photo or article I shared was complete nonsense, or at least misquoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post

I ignore those altogether. Doesn't matter if you agree or not, it's just someone gathering info.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-12-2014 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: Merge

Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,703,384 times
Always. There are so many hoaxes circulated on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology