Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM

612 posts, read 843,224 times

Advertisements

If it's family, it's not usually a problem, however if I don't know the person/people, I just CANNOT eat their cooking. Even being offered a drink at someone else's home, I'm weary of using their cups/dishware. There are potlucks here @ work, and I never participate for this very reason. It's sort of like sitting on/touching public toilets, it's just not something most people will just up and do. Is this normal behavior? Can't imagine most people automatically and willingly eat someone else's food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
I assume you avoid restaurants and fastfood joints, I know I do.
I worked in the kitchen of a restaurant and would see the cook leaning over a pot of sauce with sweat dripping in from his face. The only person I trust cooking my food is me and that is only 50% of the time.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Okay, well...then you need to be worried about the entire food chain. You can cook your own food at home but...how many times have you heard about people buying meat, fish or poultry that's been contaminated with something like salmonella or E coli? Even fresh veggies have sickened people.

There are no guarantees in life and we have to eat to survive.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
If it's family, it's not usually a problem, however if I don't know the person/people, I just CANNOT eat their cooking. Even being offered a drink at someone else's home, I'm weary of using their cups/dishware. There are potlucks here @ work, and I never participate for this very reason. It's sort of like sitting on/touching public toilets, it's just not something most people will just up and do. Is this normal behavior? Can't imagine most people automatically and willingly eat someone else's food
I too have this issue at times. I cannot buy a used cooking item (plates, pitcher, coffee maker) like you find at a 2nd hand store, because it does not ever seem clean and also what kind of dust/debri is in between the crevices. I have bought a few items which i thought I could use and have let them sit unused because they never seemed clean where I'd want to put food in it.

Also, if you ever watch the Hoarders shows on tv, you will NEVER EVER want to eat anyone's food, even people that appear to be clean. Hoarders homes have shown them - to keep food long past their due date because "if its not puffy, then its ok" even though the food is 9 years old.

You don't know how clean their kitchen is, if they wash their hands, etc. i have known people to have a dirty house and think nothing of it to touch food that im about to eat when i know they needed to have washed their hands. you don't know how old the food is or if they have properly refrigerated it.

i will never go to a potluck after watching Hoarders!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Just a form of Germaphobia, a form of obsessive compulsive disorder. Some people are obsessed with washing their hands using anti-bacterial soaps, wear a mask when out in public, constantly clean everything with Lysol, and won't ride a bus or plane. Others are fearful of eating food they have not prepared or dishes that they have not washed, and for some all of the above. It definitely limits your social life and options for travel and entertainment.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just a form of Germaphobia, a form of obsessive compulsive disorder. Some people are obsessed with washing their hands using anti-bacterial soaps, wear a mask when out in public, constantly clean everything with Lysol, and won't ride a bus or plane. Others are fearful of eating food they have not prepared or dishes that they have not washed, and for some all of the above. It definitely limits your social life and options for travel and entertainment.
could be, except some of the OP's reluctance is valid, i.e. if he has maybe seen someone with awful sloppiness, or maybe thinks about something being that way, and he is now turned off, i.e. that would be Pavlov's dog reaction (classical conditioning). Could be?

Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My thoughts also. There is a difference between "normal" caution and OCD. Some of you, IMO, are more OCD than normally cautious.

(This from one who always seems to get some kind of throat infection whenever he flies on a commercial airliner...)

Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,448,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
So you also never dined out either? Especially fast food, I presume?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:34 PM

504 posts, read 851,823 times
I don't have a problem joining in on potlucks at work. Bringing and eating. I also don't have a problem using public restrooms or eating at restaurants or even street vendor situations either, though. *shrug* It's just not something that I concern myself with.

I don't think that it's weird either way though, really. Just different people.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:46 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I don't look at the food, I look at the person to see if they are dirty or their home is dirty. There are certain people that would bring food to a pot luck and I would not touch it.

I don't have any problem with eating out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology