Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:49 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

You can have a psychotic episode triggered by depression. Hear voices, see things. It can be induced by severe depression and stress/anxiety. And it is not schizophrenia. Meds can help a person get over a temporary psychotic episode, that is not caused by bi-polar or schizophrenia.

Are you pretending to hear things? If not, that's a mental illness. Hearing things is not "normal." But, it can be caused by things other than a chemical imbalance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,132 times
Default Yes.

Kundalini.
There is a chance that you may be experiencing a "Kundalini Emergency."
Meds only keep you locked in the out of balanced, distorted mind space.

Dr. M. Scott Peck wrote in his bestseller, "The Road Less Traveled," that about a third of the people diagnosed aren't mentally ill, they're spiritually ill. Likewise, about a third of the people diagnosed as physically ill are really spiritually ill. (i.e.-- "I went to the doctor and they did all these tests and they still can't find anything wrong with me..")

Western medicine is tops if you're in a car accident and need to be structurally put back together ... but there are ancient concepts of the body and mind it ignores.

You know the symbol of the American Medial Association? The pole with the two snakes running up .. with the glob on top?
  • That's the symbol for Kundalini.
  • It's also the symbol for Luke the Great Physician (Bible)
  • It's also the symbol for Hermes, the Greek messenger of the gods
  • and yes, it's the symbol of the American Medical Association
  1. The pole is your spine.
  2. The snakes are the DNA Helix that run up your spine.
  3. The globe at the top is your head.
"When the inner is in balance, the outer comes into balance."

I'd wager that there are a LOT more than, "one third" of the people diagnosed with mental illness that are really going through a spiritual emergency (as in, "spiritual psychology").

All the world's traditions discuss it... but it's coded.
For instance, people are taught that the Bible is to be read literally. Many of those stories are insane if you read them literally and as, "fact." What "Good Spell" (Gospel) is ... is a book of anatomy and psychology that shows you how to get out of "bondage" (trauma, negativity, evil) and go through the "Red Sea" (emotions), into the "Promised Land" ... (i.e. "The Kingdom of God is within you.")

I'd suggest that you Google, "Kundalini Yoga" and start searching for a good teacher. It takes a bit of effort to leave "sloth" (the resistance to move yourself into higher consciousness) ... but if you do, you'll discover that this "crisis" is actually the greatest gift you've ever been given.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Analogy: Some overweight people claim to have a thyroid issue when truly they don't have a thyroid issue. They just overeat.

Some wacky people may claim to be mentally ill, when truly their wackiness is their own doing, poor choices, poor environmental factors,,etc.

If a person thinks he is mentally ill, is he likely not? Fish do not contemplate the water they swim in, so would a truly mentally ill person contemplate his state of mind?

I have all the symptoms of schizophrenia. And bipolar disorder. Have been hospitalized, diagnosed, and medicated under doctor supervision for bipolar. Meds made me more sick than better so doctor let me take a natural treatment path.

Makes me wonder if none of the bipolar meds helped, then maybe it's not a chemical issue.

Have never discussed schizophrenia with doctors and have never been diagnosed with it, and wonder if I have all the symptoms of these things could I have it? And again, I'm leaning toward it not being a chemical imbalance issue, but a psycho-social maladaptive issue.

My quirks have developed since my teens and am almost 40 now. I'm fairly certain that if I'd had a more favorable, loving, supportive upbringing that I would be more well-adjusted.

What do you think, is mental illness a chemical issue or a psycho-social issue?

Can a person have all the symptoms without having the actual DSM illness?
cant tell from online, maybe you are a hypochondriac - that's someone who imagines they are sick and they actually can get sick. could be you are super worried/super conscious of something wrong with you and maybe its just a lot of worry, could be you are just a quirky ok person, could be you are overthinking what is just normal for you, could be a lot of things

Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
cant tell from online, maybe you are a hypochondriac - that's someone who imagines they are sick and they actually can get sick. could be you are super worried/super conscious of something wrong with you and maybe its just a lot of worry, could be you are just a quirky ok person, could be you are overthinking what is just normal for you, could be a lot of things
Isn't that a mental illness though? I tend to have hypochondria and I would definitely say it's an illness because it can affect your psyche majorly. I used to get panic attacks from it too.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
What type of schizophrenia do you think you have? If you can still cope with life, it's doubtful you have it. I've just finished a memoir by a woman who sunk in and out of paranoia which finishing graduate work at Oxford. Amazing, that she ended up writing a book about it. She's clearly extremely intelligent. She heard voices. I used to wonder what it was like to actually hear voices in my head, but know it wasn't me. She made it easy to understand.

My daughter's brother-in-law has paranoid schizophrenia. He only reverts to it if he doesn't take his medication. He is certain others are listening in to his private conversations. People can have some oddities about themselves, but it isn't a full-blown problem unless it takes over their life.

My first husband acquired an anxiety psychosis. He was mentally ill. His anxiety wasn't mild. It took over his life. His eyes were truly a mirror of his anguish. He would get better, then it would start again. At the time, his psychiatrist told me it was often why some of the homeless men slept in the grounds near the downtown bus station. Some were former professional people, physicians, lawyers, etc. My husband eventually developed heart trouble and died in his thirties.

People can read symptoms which sort of sound like something they might have. In my opinion, they probably don't.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:23 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Sure, people can have a physical illness that causes mental health issues (as an example thyroid problems can cause anxiety and panic attacks). So if a psychiatrist is treating a patient for a disabling mental health problem they'll also do a complete physical, test for brain tumours and rule out physical causes. And as others have said, children growing up in a dysfunctional environment can learn maladjusted behaviour by mimicking it.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:58 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Kundalini.
There is a chance that you may be experiencing a "Kundalini Emergency."
Meds only keep you locked in the out of balanced, distorted mind space.

Dr. M. Scott Peck wrote in his bestseller, "The Road Less Traveled," that about a third of the people diagnosed aren't mentally ill, they're spiritually ill. Likewise, about a third of the people diagnosed as physically ill are really spiritually ill. (i.e.-- "I went to the doctor and they did all these tests and they still can't find anything wrong with me..")

Western medicine is tops if you're in a car accident and need to be structurally put back together ... but there are ancient concepts of the body and mind it ignores.

You know the symbol of the American Medial Association? The pole with the two snakes running up .. with the glob on top?
  • That's the symbol for Kundalini.
  • It's also the symbol for Luke the Great Physician (Bible)
  • It's also the symbol for Hermes, the Greek messenger of the gods
  • and yes, it's the symbol of the American Medical Association
  1. The pole is your spine.
  2. The snakes are the DNA Helix that run up your spine.
  3. The globe at the top is your head.
"When the inner is in balance, the outer comes into balance."

I'd wager that there are a LOT more than, "one third" of the people diagnosed with mental illness that are really going through a spiritual emergency (as in, "spiritual psychology").

All the world's traditions discuss it... but it's coded.
For instance, people are taught that the Bible is to be read literally. Many of those stories are insane if you read them literally and as, "fact." What "Good Spell" (Gospel) is ... is a book of anatomy and psychology that shows you how to get out of "bondage" (trauma, negativity, evil) and go through the "Red Sea" (emotions), into the "Promised Land" ... (i.e. "The Kingdom of God is within you.")

I'd suggest that you Google, "Kundalini Yoga" and start searching for a good teacher. It takes a bit of effort to leave "sloth" (the resistance to move yourself into higher consciousness) ... but if you do, you'll discover that this "crisis" is actually the greatest gift you've ever been given.
This resonates with me, veganwriter. I am actually a certified hatha yoga instructor, actively teaching, and yes, everything you wrote rings true. Even the part about the Bible because I spent 18 years steeped in Christianity as well and have come to the same conclusions as you've stated.

Now if only "Kundalini Emergency" was in the DSM, I'd have a leg to stand on when dealing with employers, friends, family, doctors, lawyers, insurance companies, SSI, etc.

Toward further awakening I carry on. Yoga is the one thing in our society that is acceptable for me to do and that makes me whole. After many years of struggles, yoga is now my vocation.

Thank you veganwriter. I shall persevere.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:08 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,803 times
I think that we're all mentally ill at some point during the day or in our lives if the question were to be asked of the people who personally know us.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,132 times
Default Zelpha

Zelpha ... give up on Western medicine on this one.

The DSM does list "Spiritual Emergencies" (also, "Spiritual Crisis") ... but you're talking about ancient dynamics that the American "business" of psychology and Big Pharm has absolutely no information about ... and no interest in.

The money is in pushing pills at you and getting you hooked in for the rest of your life.
Not good.
They don't even do the human diet halfway right.

Your simple searches will begin to supply you with what you need.
Forget about convincing family and friends.
This is uncharted waters for them. They won't know what you're talking about and the more you try to convince them, the crazier they'll think you are.

On the other hand, your experience-- and tenacity-- with Yoga puts you ahead of where most of us are when we begin understanding what's going on.

Finding teachers who know Kundalini is what you need ... ASAP.
It's not a "life and death" situation ... it's more like, the faster you find teachers, spiritual masters ... et al, the better you'll feel.

As weird as this sounds ... what you're going through is a blessing.
You have the opportunity to be far better than you've ever been.
Everything that is not .. the original you... that's not helpful to your authentic self will be stripped away.

~Namo my friend.

It's your journey.
Faith and preserverenc

Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 PM

148 posts, read 141,143 times
There are many stages of mental illness , if you can work with your medicated or unmedicated I would not worry about it. But if your chronic and suicidal your in big trouble. I have been mentally ill all my life but only took meds when I could no longer drink alcohol to self medicate. I take meds now , why would I not I am mentally ill , but alive because I chose to take meds, they have side effects and if your weak and cannot take the side effects then you not that ill . UNLESS THE SIDE EFFECTS ARE WORSE THAN THE ILLNESS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology