Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 12:51 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Car you can handle?

Now you need a penis to "handle" certain cars?

Struggling to drive an F350?

This is satire, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 02:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I was once told by a gay guy that if you want to broadcast your choice, you'll drive a Mini Cooper. Complete with Union Jack on the roof. If you're a girl with a Mini Cooper, it's only because you thought it was cute.
What does a Cooper with a flag on the roof have to do with being, or as you say, 'broadcasting' gay?

Quote:
Don't feel bad and don't let the other statements here bug you. I 100% agree and it has nothing to do with them being incapable or whatnot.

But let's be clear. If you're a farm girl, it's almost expected for you to drive a truck. That's fine. If you're a big girl, you probably can only drive trucks. That's fine too. For your job? Sure.

Where it gets problematic is when you see some 90lb wisp that looks fresh out of Jersey Shore struggling to drive some F350 while texting. Or ones so short they can't even see over the steering wheel. The ones where you KNOW it's her boyfriend's ride.

And yes, there is an increased sexiness factor when a girl is petite, driving a "girly" car. You know the ones. VW Jetta, VW Bug, VW Cabrio, any BMW non-SUV, any Benz non-SUV, Camry, Corolla, any Hyundai non-SUV, Ford Focus, etc. You get a sense that their priorities are better in order: get a car you can handle, at a price you can afford, where you can easily see over the steering wheel, just enough room for what you need, etc.
Hands down, this is the most prejudiced post I've seen on C-D in oh, so many ways... you've sweepingly insulted gay men, women - of various sizes, from NJ or rural locales, with certain jobs & you seem to know their priorities based on their car choices... all you left out were pet lovers, vegetarians & specific religions. Maybe that whole lot of women should just be banned from driving after a good dose of foot binding, so they don't wander off.

Dear lord, you're generalizations are even more disturbing than the OP's.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Chauvinism.

Alive and well and pooping all over CDF.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:51 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
What does a Cooper with a flag on the roof have to do with being, or as you say, 'broadcasting' gay?
I call this "Selective Reading". City Data people who are easily offended are quite guilty of it.

Apparently, you missed the "I was once told by a gay guy" part. Why did he feel that way? Don't know. Don't care. I have better things to think about.

Quote:
Hands down, this is the most prejudiced post I've seen on C-D in oh, so many ways... you've sweepingly insulted gay men, women - of various sizes, from NJ or rural locales, with certain jobs & you seem to know their priorities based on their car choices... all you left out were pet lovers, vegetarians & specific religions. Maybe that whole lot of women should just be banned from driving after a good dose of foot binding, so they don't wander off.

Dear lord, you're generalizations are even more disturbing than the OP's.
Whatever.

I will say this, and it's not just to you, it's to everyone who is overly sensitive about this topic: racism, bigotry, prejudice, even sexism, ALL of us have it. ALL of us. You have your own biases; you just don't share them because you're afraid to. Walking down the street, your biases are in you. Whether you show them, broadcast them or talk about them is your own business. Don't criticize others for not being afraid to do so.

Women of all shapes, ages and sizes will openly say they feel a "manly" man:
  • should have muscles like Dwayne Johnson
  • drive a "manly" car/truck
  • work a "manly" job
  • shouldn't shave their arms/legs/etc. because that's not "manly"
  • should have a "manly" dog like a pit or a Doberman, not a spaniel or a "fluffy" dog
  • shouldn't have long hair because that's not "manly"
  • should do yard work because that's "manly"
  • shouldn't shower with loofahs because that's not "manly"
  • shouldn't use Dove or Pantene products because they're not "manly"
  • shouldn't wear makeup because it's not "manly" (Despite every male celeb doing so, BTW)
  • should not shave their beards because a smooth face isn't "manly"
  • should have a deep voice, because a lighter voice isn't "manly"
  • shouldn't wear flip flops because they're not "manly"

All of that's cool, but a man can't say that he prefers a petite female to drive a "girly" car? Since that's all I said?

Hypocrites, all of you.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Apparently, you missed the "I was once told by a gay guy" part. Why did he feel that way? Don't know. Don't care. I have better things to think about.
No dear, I read that & it's what I responded to... since you quoted it as if you agreed, then... as you say, 'Whatever'.

Quote:
Women of all shapes, ages and sizes will openly say they feel a "manly" man:
  • should have muscles like Dwayne Johnson
  • drive a "manly" car/truck
  • work a "manly" job
  • shouldn't shave their arms/legs/etc. because that's not "manly"
  • should have a "manly" dog like a pit or a Doberman, not a spaniel or a "fluffy" dog
  • shouldn't have long hair because that's not "manly"
  • should do yard work because that's "manly"
  • shouldn't shower with loofahs because that's not "manly"
  • shouldn't use Dove or Pantene products because they're not "manly"
  • shouldn't wear makeup because it's not "manly" (Despite every male celeb doing so, BTW)
  • should not shave their beards because a smooth face isn't "manly"
  • should have a deep voice, because a lighter voice isn't "manly"
  • shouldn't wear flip flops because they're not "manly"
For someone who purports little time to think about such things, you certainly appear to have a lot of time to think about such things. I'm glad you've got women all pegged. I can now wipe my brow, knowing a stranger's got me all figured out. Cheers for that.

By your posts, I'm beginning to think you're not a very manly man & have had lots of issues with women due to your above list. Your carefully chosen vehicle should set them straight. But, as you say, 'Whatever'. Hope you get that figured out.

Quote:
Hypocrites, all of you.
Oh, now, calm down. Now look who's getting all sensitive, after writing 2 insensitive posts. But, as you say, 'Whatever.'

Old 07-20-2014, 12:56 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I'm not sure why your preference for girls in certain cars is a topic for discussion. Some guys like girls in trucks, maybe you can get together with them and hash it out.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:10 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Oh, now, calm down. Now look who's getting all sensitive, after writing 2 insensitive posts. But, as you say, 'Whatever.'
Yep, I do use loofahs, and proud to stay fresh and clean. And yes, hypocritical females strike a nerve. Note, you have yet to admit your bias.

The best part: if you do admit bias, you prove me right. Refuse to admit bias, you prove me right.

Done.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Yep, I do use loofahs, and proud to stay fresh and clean. And yes, hypocritical females strike a nerve. Note, you have yet to admit your bias.

The best part: if you do admit bias, you prove me right. Refuse to admit bias, you prove me right.

Done.
You seem to be referencing yourself in bias non-admission. Your points are not better or worse... just hidden from your consciousness, it appears. Now you feel loofahs, freshness & cleanliness are feminine, in nature, too? In addition to specific transportation? Well, there you go again. You seem to have very confused gender biases based around inanimate objects. Your judgments must be overwhelming for you.

I don't understand your point... I don't think you do, either... but you're entitled to it.

Best.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
where did this thread go.

A non truck driving man.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
My oldest Daughter, who is over 45 years old and was the Administrative Nurse in a large Nursing home. Quit Nursing 3 years ago to Drive 18 Wheelers. She loves it. She and her Husband team drive and own their own rig and do long distance Hauling. They Have a regular contract that Takes them from Dallas TX to Minneapolis, MN to San Diego, CA and back to TX. They also do one time hauls between their main trips.

If you happen to see a Middle aged woman, wearing a Hijab driving an 18 wheeler, it is probably my daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology