Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:32 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
I am a natural color lover. I tend to prefer brunettes, but I don´t really care as long as its natural. So I don´t really understand the psychology of women who dye their hair blonde....they look so unnatural and fake.

What's the reason?
I agree it looks fake. I do it. And, I kick myself every time.

I do it because I like a change. I like to dye my hair for the summer. When you're out and about, it's nice to see your color in different color. Nice for the season.

(But yes, it does look phony I admit, I still like the color tho)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 02:04 PM

58 posts, read 192,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Brunette color doesn't last very long, especially if the girl is very white, it might start fading after 25. Dark hair colors are much harder to manage than lighter colors when you have gray hair.

I have friends with gray hair who are brunettes and it's a nightmare trying to keep their natural hair color. They have to reapply color almost every week. The blonde ones manage better.
+1.
I started dyeing my hair blonde when I started to go gray. Not that I do not like gray, but the gray does not yet grow out consistently. If I let it natural it does not look like well-kept hair unfortunately. It is much easier to go blonde than keep it up with natural dark. I also started to receive compliments when I started to color my hair blonde. Even my hair stylists said that the same natural brunette on me just looked plain and boring in comparison. So, no secret in here either.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:26 PM

58 posts, read 192,442 times
So tell me...what are you going to do when you fall madly in love with a brunette only to find a box of hair color in her bathroom cabinet or she comes home one day with a little more auburn in her hair !!![/quote]

Yeah, some gorgeous brunettes like these?

Zooey Deschanel
Amy Adams
Angelina Jolie
Katy Perry
Kristen Stewart
Olivia Wilde
Winona Ryder
Emma Stone

All of above blondes gone brunettes (sometimes redheads).

Old 07-27-2014, 06:01 PM

21,540 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Love that colour! I think that was the colour I actually bought when trying to go Lady Gaga. I couldn't find platinum and I guess that was a good thing. I like it because it's summery and it really suits you.
Thanks, Jess! My real hair is gray with some silver in it. When it's colored, the lighter parts come out looking like highlights, which is nice. When hair color is all one shade, I think it looks more fake, especially on an older person, than when there are some natural variations.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:03 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
I should add that fake dark hair is just as bad if it does not suit you. If you have some gray and you are naturally dark, then it is good, but if dark hair is not your natural color, it will not look good. Elvis had that fake dark hair, as does Katy Perry. And do not start me on those 75 year old men with that purple dyed hair.

Dark hair and light skin at a very old age is down right scary, either go gray or dye lighter.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
In terms of genetics, blonde hair is a recessive gene, so it may be that that they won't be around for long.

Otherwise, blame American and certain European cultures and standards for that.
If you say that light skinned, light eyed and light haired people, should be protected as they are clearly the minority in the human race, you will be classed as a racist. If you say protect the African Zulu, you will not be a racist. I agree that in maybe in 300-500 years there will be none of these light physical human attributes left.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feskone View Post
So tell me...what are you going to do when you fall madly in love with a brunette only to find a box of hair color in her bathroom cabinet or she comes home one day with a little more auburn in her hair !!!
Yeah, some gorgeous brunettes like these?

Zooey Deschanel
Amy Adams
Angelina Jolie
Katy Perry
Kristen Stewart
Olivia Wilde
Winona Ryder
Emma Stone

All of above blondes gone brunettes (sometimes redheads).[/quote]http://www.dailymakeover.com/trends/...owPaused=false

It is amazing how many are natural light haired and went to a darker colour.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
This has probably been addressed but I'll throw in my two cents' worth:

The OP likes "the natural look." Well, that's fine, but plenty of other people don't care whether their hair looks "natural" or not, and in other cases, "natural" just isn't all that pretty.

My hair is about 75 percent gray - meaning white really. The other 25 percent is dark auburn. UGH, this is a natural combination that is simply NOT ALL THAT PRETTY. And I started going gray at age 30! So...for awhile I dyed my hair my natural, dark auburn color. But as more and more of my hair turned white, I found that within a couple of weeks, my hair had a white streak running down the middle of it! AUGH!

So a month ago, I went nearly platinum blonde and I LOVE IT. In fact, when I go back, I think I WILL go flat out platinum, which anyone would know is not my natural color. I don't care! It's so much fun!

No need to pyschoanalyze me - I'm pretty easy to figure out. I don't like white streaks down the middle of my head, and I hate the current natural color of my hair. The good news is that my grays are stark white, so once I go 100 percent gray, I'll probably go all natural, but till then, I'm going blonde. Unless I change my mind and do something different.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This has probably been addressed but I'll throw in my two cents' worth:

The OP likes "the natural look." Well, that's fine, but plenty of other people don't care whether their hair looks "natural" or not, and in other cases, "natural" just isn't all that pretty.

My hair is about 75 percent gray - meaning white really. The other 25 percent is dark auburn. UGH, this is a natural combination that is simply NOT ALL THAT PRETTY. And I started going gray at age 30! So...for awhile I dyed my hair my natural, dark auburn color. But as more and more of my hair turned white, I found that within a couple of weeks, my hair had a white streak running down the middle of it! AUGH!

So a month ago, I went nearly platinum blonde and I LOVE IT. In fact, when I go back, I think I WILL go flat out platinum, which anyone would know is not my natural color. I don't care! It's so much fun!

No need to pyschoanalyze me - I'm pretty easy to figure out. I don't like white streaks down the middle of my head, and I hate the current natural color of my hair. The good news is that my grays are stark white, so once I go 100 percent gray, I'll probably go all natural, but till then, I'm going blonde. Unless I change my mind and do something different.
Beautiful!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times
Basic art theory: it's the absence of frame. Any time you outline an object with a darker color, you are exaggerating the object. That's why women wear black eyeliner, to emphasize their eyes and sometimes make them look bigger. Dark hair is basically "eyeliner for the face." Or compare it to hanging a photo with a black frame versus hanging a photo with a white frame or no frame at all. Most would focus their attention on the photo with the black frame (but not all people, depending on what you're conditioned to), because it's exaggerating the photo and basically screaming "Look at me!" Black hair most emphasizes a person's face and draws attention to all their features, magnifying imperfections such as acne, wrinkles, ugly features, etc. Blonde hair does the opposite. It detracts attention from the face and blends "the whole picture."

Now, what kind of women do you think are more likely to want to emphasize their faces with dark hair? Usually ones whose facial features are deemed most attractive to society. But if she is considered less than perfect or less than feminine in the face compared to societal standards, blonde hair is the best route to go. The naturally blondest women (and I'm talking about the blondest, palest shades of blonde), often Scandinavian in origin, typically have the most androygynous, hard-angled facial features of any ethnic group (very strong brow bones, noses, and jawlines). The blonde hair evolved to help soften these features. Image consultants will often recommend blonde to women whose faces are aging or those with facial characteristics deemed unattractive by society (big nose, masculine face shape, etc.). On the flip side, women who have more feminine faces that are held to high regard in their respective societies are better off keeping or turning their hair darker, because the dark hair will help to exaggerate, emphasize, and "advertise" their faces. This is why women like Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox are better off being brunettes. If they were blonde, no one would notice their exotic facial features.

Obviously, there are exceptions. Blondes like Charlize Theron and Jennifer Lawrence have very soft, feminine faces and still get noticed as blondes. But generally speaking, blonde hair is an option for those who want to downplay their faces. Although American plastic surgeons have gotten so advanced in giving women unattainable faces today, that you now have these women in Southern CA who strive to have every feminine ideal facial feature that their own ethnic group can't have plus blonde hair, which is not what nature intended (a blonde woman + big lips + high cheekbones + large eyes with long eyelashes + tan skin. Really? Yeah right).

It's also a bright color that stands out, so that's what would draw in potential male mates during primitive times in the dark, cold winters. As a result, European cultures began associating colors with masculinity and femininity. Whereas, in most other countries sexual dimorphism relies on the shape and size of facial features and bodies. And in terms of how males today respond to women's hair colors...it's not so important how light or dark a woman's hair is. Rather, it's the warmth vs. cool undertones. Most people in today's society associate warmth (i.e. golden blonde, golden brown, red) with youth whereas ashy, cool colors are deemed signals of aging (i.e. ashy brown, blue black, white blonde). So a lot of women who might be ashy dishwater blonde will highlight their hair to bring in warmth. Same goes for skin color. Yellow skin is considered healthier and more attractive than pink-tinged cool skin, regardless of how dark or light.

Please note that I am speaking objectively here. I am not saying whether any of this is good or bad. And I'm not necessarily saying I agree with the way society reacts to these. I study the ethnographic aspect of anthropology, which is why I notice these things.

Last edited by skidamarink; 07-30-2014 at 07:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology