Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by education357 View Post
I usually won't correct a child until I have their respect because otherwise I feel like they won't be receptive to what I have to say, so why bother if they are just going to ignore me?

She's usually upbeat and participatory normally though.

If there is nothing wrong with her list though, why shouldn't I listen to the gossip? Wouldn't I want to try to figure out what everyone's list is and then try to build a consensus list later on based on the merits of the various lists?
You seriously need to ask that? I'm starting to agree this must be a troll.

Even amongst adults, gossip is not considered reliable information. As it passes along the things said tend to grow and change.

You are working at a summer camp. You are acting like you are working at a penal/mental institution. You are dealing with pre-pubescents whose raging hormones elicit all sorts of 'odd behavior'. I sense you have an 'alarmist' streak running through you which is encouraged and fed by listening to camper gossip.

As a former child camper (not that you have to be a former camper to know this), children can be terribly and bluntly critical, mean-spirited, and selfish amongst themselves. They all now have a new dynamic and heirarchy to stake out and maintain a place in, away from the long established roles amongst family, school, and neighborhood. They will do or say anything to attract attention, and maintain respect.

I would ask, should you work with children in this age-group? The youngest 'tadpole' category seems more your speed. They will have a lot less for you to naturally make a mountain out of mole hill from.

You have to give respect to get respect - its not a gift, and especially not from a child who is free from parental supervision for a couple of weeks. It is probably more your job to report issues to supervisors, but otherwise make the camper want to return to the camp next season, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education357 View Post
One idea I am thinking of using is calling attention to what this girl did and encouraging everyone to create their own list within the group and then comparing the different lists to each other and coming up with a group list ranking the kids from best to worst.

That way the girl will be thought of as an example of how to act and that will make her still want to listen to me, but the issue can still be addressed.
You can't be serious. This is a horrible idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology