Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 AM

403 posts, read 666,230 times

Advertisements

I may or may not be Asexual, and I've never perceived it as a bad thing. Why? Here are the positives:

1. We're immune to being seduced.
2. We're some of the safest people with there being zero risk of us being behind bars for a crime related to this subject.
3. We can focus on more rational stuff.

Why is Asexuality perceived negatively? Some say that it's a Sociopathic trait, but there are non-Sociopathic Asexuals (I might be one of them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
I may or may not be Asexual, and I've never perceived it as a bad thing. Why? Here are the positives:

2. We're some of the safest people with there being zero risk of us being behind bars for a crime related to this subject.

Why is Asexuality perceived negatively? Some say that it's a Sociopathic trait, but there are non-Sociopathic Asexuals (I might be one of them).
For other males, it's extremely difficult to understand someone who does not share one of your most basal biological drives. Many will assume that you are actually gay and in denial.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 AM

732 posts, read 968,128 times
I agree with what you wrote, but it's because I'm asexual.

I'm definitely asexual, but I prefer to call it non-sexual. I'm also glad I'm this way. In fact, if I weren't non-sexual I think I'd rather be castrated than go through what a lot of hormonal desperation and other garbage a lot of sexual people go through. I see sexuality as more of a negative thing and often feel sorry for sexual people.

I had no idea asexuality is thought to be a sociopathic trait. Being non-sexual hasn't exactly made me into a sociopath although not being a sexual person has caused me problems and made the dating relationships I was in, in the past, short-term, except the platonic dating relationships in my teen years. That was before I understood I'm asexual.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:32 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
For other males, it's extremely difficult to understand someone who does not share one of your most basal biological drives. Many will assume that you are actually gay and in denial.
Or worse. On another thread the OP started elsewhere on this issue he was instantly accused of mental health issues and in requirement of a psychologist.

As for why it is viewed negatively OP - you could look at some of the threads about homosexuality - or even threds about people who have simply chosen never to have children. It seems deviation from the "norm" is enough to be viewed negatively.

If you are not conforming to the expectations of the majority you are viewed negatively. Even some of the comments on threads about childless couples the commentary can get abrasive and insulting and heated. People who want children simply can not understand why those without do not want them, or never will.

Similarly since sex is one of the biggest drives for most people - those with that desire will have trouble relating with those that lack it.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post

I didn't know it was.

Examples? I don't get the point of this topic. Just live your life. I can't believe many or anyone cares about your sex life.

I've gone through very long periods in my life without sex from a partner and it has never been a problem.
In fact, I'm on one of those streaks right now. No end in sight and I'm not worried about it.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
I agree with what you wrote, but it's because I'm asexual.

I'm definitely asexual, but I prefer to call it non-sexual. I'm also glad I'm this way. In fact, if I weren't non-sexual I think I'd rather be castrated than go through what a lot of hormonal desperation and other garbage a lot of sexual people go through. I see sexuality as more of a negative thing and often feel sorry for sexual people.

I had no idea asexuality is thought to be a sociopathic trait. Being non-sexual hasn't exactly made me into a sociopath although not being a sexual person has caused me problems and made the dating relationships I was in, in the past, short-term, except the platonic dating relationships in my teen years. That was before I understood I'm asexual.
I'm the opposite. I'm envious of them. But I'm shy and my trust level in humans is low.

The OP has to come up with examples of the sociopath nonsense.
I see this topic as a complete fail.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:17 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
In fact, if I weren't non-sexual I think I'd rather be castrated than go through what a lot of hormonal desperation and other garbage a lot of sexual people go through. I see sexuality as more of a negative thing and often feel sorry for sexual people.
I never saw asexuality as being negative and never will, but perhaps this is the reason some people might -- because some of them, like you, believe they are better than sexual people. Trust me, none of us need your pity.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
If you dont want people making comments, just keep it to yourself and go about your business. Enjoy your life as you see fit

Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM

313 posts, read 531,351 times
More men should be asexual, IMO, just means less competition for us .

Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 PM

732 posts, read 968,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I never saw asexuality as being negative and never will, but perhaps this is the reason some people might -- because some of them, like you, believe they are better than sexual people. Trust me, none of us need your pity.
You're putting words into my mouth. I don't believe asexuality makes anyone better than another. I just feel sorry for people who apparently have sexual urges like substance abusers do for whatever they're addicted to. I can relate to sexual urges through my drug addicted experiences. I can also relate to the problems sexual people have in sexual relationships because I experienced some of them when I believed I was heterosexual and tried to act like a heterosexual. I experienced breakups, jealousy, hurt, expectations of protocols men are expected to follow with disappointments that can result, the weird expectation to follow along to body language signals with lack of verbal communication (which I never trusted), etc..

How do you figure having sympathy for the negative aspects of something means someone thinks they're better than the pitied??? If you want to see people who think they're better than others, there are plenty of people around who spit on addicts, homeless people & the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology