Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times

Advertisements

So too much stress can be truly overwhelming? And that can knock out all your usual abilities to cope as you did before?
Its almost like being sick, like physically sick like a broken leg. but you cant see it. but you feel it.

wow, and you guys going thru stuff, i dont know what to say to you, because it would feel like an empty shell, but i feel for you I wish you well.

Peace and tranquility is something that is truly valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:57 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Yes, but it is not an actual Pshchiatric or psychological term. More inline with "Pop Psychology" and generally relates to a stressful situation that renders a person incapable of functioning fully.
Of course it's not an actual medical term. It's slang that laypeople use, but it MEANS the exact same thing that the OP is describing.

If he feels this is happening, he should visit a doctor to get the exact medical term and the exact medical treatment.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Is it possible to break your nervous system so that lately you cannot recover from stress as well as you did before, and your tolerance for things is really bad now? And a person lately feels pretty much like a basket case haha and when a crisis happens the person sorta flips out quicker than before because their nervous system has broken or been overwhelmed with stress or whatever? So can you break your nervous system?

What can you do to recover from a highly stressful situation that totally has wiped your life out?

Does it make sense that all a person can do is just wait out the season and get thru it and then in a few months then be able to resume normal life but all a person can do is kind of live on a kind of survivor mode and just do basic things like work, etc.?

Does it make sense when someone is overloaded and overwhelmed with stress and disappointment and other things that a person cannot focus on something they would like to achieve like, lets say, a diet, because all their focus is on dealing with restarting their life with these other basic things, and focusing on that, and that's about all that they can do for now?

What can a person do to recover and bounce back to get back to normal from having just experienced the worst traumatic experience of their life which was akin to surviving a tornado, surviving hell, some of the top 5 stressors a person can go thru, and things from that previous hell hole still interfering with the current new life, but trying to deal with that, and some of that might still continue to mar the person for the rest of their life, sort of like "the scarlet letter" but the person is trying to go on and make a new life, and trying to rebuild but having to be patient because it will take time and patience in order to rebuild, etc.

Physcially/physiologically - just from external events? No.

Psychologically - yes.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
So too much stress can be truly overwhelming? And that can knock out all your usual abilities to cope as you did before?
Its almost like being sick, like physically sick like a broken leg. but you cant see it. but you feel it.

wow, and you guys going thru stuff, i dont know what to say to you, because it would feel like an empty shell, but i feel for you I wish you well.

Peace and tranquility is something that is truly valuable.
absolutely too much stress can be and is overwhelming. generally the more stress you can handle, the better off you are, but there is a point beyond which you just cant handle anymore, and that is where the ptsd kicks in and becomes a problem.

and yes tranquility is something that is truly valuable, unfortunately far too few people ever get to feel that.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:05 AM

983 posts, read 994,986 times
I really love this article on how to come out of a dark place, featuring a 92 year-old WWII vet. Very simple advice, but very wise.
Advice From a 92-Year-Old Veteran of WWII on Getting Out of a Dark Place | The Art of Manliness

Old 08-06-2014, 03:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Yes, but it is not an actual Pshchiatric or psychological term. More inline with "Pop Psychology" and generally relates to a stressful situation that renders a person incapable of functioning fully.
Yes, that's true, but the term 'nervous breakdown,' was in use long before anyone ever thought of the description pop psychology. When I was a little girl, my mother had a nervous breakdown and years later she didn't appreciate when I told her there was no such malady. For many years now, it's called anxiety. I know that it can be very serious as my first husband suffered an anxiety psychosis which was debilitating to his existence. Since his was a psychosis, I'm presuming a milder form would be described as a neurosis.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:21 PM

56 posts, read 35,824 times
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is not just a psychological condition. It is a physiological disorder, associated with endocrine and neurochemical changes in the body due to stressful events (either short-term or long-term).

Old 08-06-2014, 05:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Would you all say that it is fixable, or is it something that you have to live with, and as you get older, does it get worse?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the sad thing is that the people that try to help these people are ones that have never been in those situation, so they really cant understand what is going on, and really cant help. all they can do is listen and make suggestions and prescribe medications.
There are successful treatment for PTSD. A doctor/therapist does not have to have experienced the same trauma in order to help.

What the OP is most likely explaining is the common symptom of hyper-vigilance.There is help available. From what I've seen, many vets have a hard time "letting go" and submitting to the process.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Is it possible to break your nervous system so that lately you cannot recover from stress as well as you did before, and your tolerance for things is really bad now? And a person lately feels pretty much like a basket case haha and when a crisis happens the person sorta flips out quicker than before because their nervous system has broken or been overwhelmed with stress or whatever? So can you break your nervous system?

What can you do to recover from a highly stressful situation that totally has wiped your life out?
Yes, absolutely. This is called "adrenal fatigue". Be forewarned that the Mayo Clinic, and therefore all insurance-based endocrinologists, insist it doesn't exist.

This means you have to either go to a doc who doesn't accept insurance, and see if he has experience diagnosing and treating it (some do, some don't), or you need to find a naturopath who can test you for it. Must naturopaths and other alternative practitioners, though, will only give you herbs. If you're too far gone, this won't be enough, and takes to long to get results. What you can do to begin, is:

Find a good acupuncturist! Adrenal patients I've spoken to have said acupuncture saved their life. But not all acu-s get results. The best ones practice Japanese acupuncture, or old-time acupuncture, Taoist techniques that are taught in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Try it for awhile (a month, at least) to see if you feel any better at all. If not, move on to a different practitioner.

The other option is to find a doc who will prescribe hydrocortisone, which strengthens the adrenals. This HAS to be a doc with a lot of experience monitoring your progress, though. Most endocrinologists don't have much experience with this, and will brush it off. If cortisone sounds too heavy-duty, there's a 3rd option. But you really need to get diagnosed first. You need to find someone who administers the Adrenal Stress Index Test, a saliva test, which tracks your adrenal glands' output over 24 hours. Pharmaca pharmacies carry the test kit. Ask them if they know of a practitioner in your area who is trained to administer and interpret the test.

Adrenal fatigue is potentially fatal if left untreated. You just slowly waste away until your body's organs gradually shut down, and you die. Don't let it happen to you. Begin your search for treatment today. Google is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology