Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 03:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I live in Colorado. I would update my profile to reflect that, but don't care to put in the time figuring out how. I suspect you have misinterpreted what I said to Kevxu (or maybe you just decided to direct a personal attack at me), I was not disrespecting Kevxu, Kevxu stated that the behavior I mentioned disliking earlier in the thread was common in his/her Country and that I should be grateful to not live. I wanted to know what that Country Kevxu lived in so I could avoid the behavior, not so I could avoid Kevxu.
Robert5, I plainly stated I did not mean to sound rude. I was not leveling a personal attack, for heaven's sake. I mean it with all my heart: I am a Southerner, and we talk to random strangers, check out clerks, people in parking lots. It is considered bad manners to do otherwise.

This morning I stopped by a Starbucks (where I have never been before) and the woman who handed me my coffee said: "Hope you have a great morning, honey! Good to see you!" and flashed a beautiful smile. Had I not responded with, "You, too, darlin'! Thank you so much - see you later!" -- employees would have commented about it after I left. If I had been icy and uncommunicative, they probably would have all looked at each other and said something like "what's up her hiney this morning?" and rolled their eyes.

Life is different here. I was not insulting you. I sincerely appreciate the interactions during my days here where I live. And I wouldn't want to live where you do if people are always in such a hurry and so cold to one another.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,550 times
No problem, thanks you explaining!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
seeing old people as just as dumb as a teenager might in some cases be true, but rarely. its hard to be here 80 years not learn anything.
as to entitlement. they built it & they earned the retirement. they did not steal it or rip you off to benefit them. they worked for it.
Got to say a lot of contempt and hostility on this OP. accusations of prejudice & bigotry???
what i have seen in old people is a willingness to point out the elephant in the living room.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:29 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
She's disappeared, so an answer might not be coming. Personally I do sense some resentment and admit some resentment of my own toward old people, but I think her argument is strong regardless. It's a fact that old people typically are more racist and prejudiced than younger people. That seems one of the few criticisms of the elderly that society allows. I suspect many younger people don't know any old folks well and see them through the positive halo of their grandparents.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:23 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
She's disappeared, so an answer might not be coming. Personally I do sense some resentment and admit some resentment of my own toward old people, but I think her argument is strong regardless. It's a fact that old people typically are more racist and prejudiced than younger people. That seems one of the few criticisms of the elderly that society allows. I suspect many younger people don't know any old folks well and see them through the positive halo of their grandparents.
Most older people I know or have known have been classy, respectful people, which is why I have always had an affinity towards older people. Granted, I have encountered a few grumpy, hate-the-world elderly persons, but I can say they have been the minority. But for people that have been alive 70+ years probably have good reasons for being a little prejudiced, cynical, and rigid in their views. They have experienced more, seen more, and endured more; they have lived through profound changes in the world, and have probably seen how many things in the world have gone downhill. Plus, many of these folks are dealing with chronic health issues that make it difficult to navigate life, which can cause depression, loneliness, frustration, etc. So, if any group should be cut a little slack, it's the elderly. The younger crowd often acts as if they've seen more, done more, endured more, and know more than folks 2 and 3 times their age; youthful arrogance and disrespect towards older persons is nothing new.

I'm 39, so I still think I'm closer to being in the young group than in the older group, so I'm not biased in favor of older persons because I'm in their age bracket; I'm just entering middle-age.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:07 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,353,259 times
They survived the worst depression in our country's history and had to,go through some rough times that today's pussified youth would die if they lived through for one day. They watched this country go from great to barely mediocre. They watched people have class and go to baseball games with top hats and jackets on to seeing slobs walk into church in soccer shorts. They saw people treat each other with respect to some degree. They had the sense of not walking out of the house unless they looked presentable and now watching freaks covered in tattoos, nose rings, belly rings, purple hair, shaved heads, etc all to be noticed. How more narcissistic can people get? No one gives a crap about your individuality to look like a freak. No wonder the elders have an attitude. They are watching the country that was once a respectable, moral one morph into one big free for all where anything goes and people do whatever feels good no matter how much they offend and bother others.

They went for heaven to heli in one lifetime. I feel bad for them. I was born in the 60s and have seen enough. I caught the tail end of decent times. I am in shock. As long as they aren't crashing cars into uup, leave them alone.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
The creation of this thread makes me happy. Old people are a sacred cow. They are no better than the rest of us, and in some ways can be worse, e.g., women getting mean in their elder years. In fact, I recently heard a child being abused by probably an old woman. Too many of them are vacationing frivolously or (maybe in the 70+ crowd) overly concerned with prolonging their lives and blowing the family's money in the process.
Maybe they're spending THEIR money. If so, it's their perogative.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm kind of down on vacations in general, yes. My impression is that retirees take more vacations than other people, though when they get old enough, they probably take less. I have a problem with matriarchs and patriarchs who implicitly have some responsibility for the well-being of their families blowing their money when often younger generations are struggling.
Oh my gosh. These retirees need to just stop spending the money they earned and saved on themselves. Maybe they should just go ahead and kill themselves so that younger people can have it.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:43 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Want to play? How about I point out that sometimes it's widows whose husbands technically earned most of the money spending it frivolously? I like to think most people with families work hard in large part to support the whole group. They can have some fun with it, but to start burning money near the end is just wrong.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Want to play? How about I point out that sometimes it's widows whose husbands technically earned most of the money spending it frivolously? I like to think most people with families work hard in large part to support the whole group. They can have some fun with it, but to start burning money near the end is just wrong.
Every situation is different - I don't think a blanket statement can be made about the situation.

Generally speaking though, if a COUPLE has saved money for retirement, I think they should spend it as they see fit.

My husband works half the time out of the state and often out of the country. After doing this for several years while I worked full time, he asked if I would mind quitting so that when he was home we could be together rather than him waiting around every day for me to get off work (after himbeing gone for several weeks). It was an adjustment at first, because I had worked full time for over 20 years, but now we love it.

Are you saying that just because he makes more money than me (and always has, even when we were both working) that if I am widowed, the money that we saved together shouldn't be mine to spend as I decide?

We raised our kids to be self sufficient and to take care of their own families. That being said, I wouldn't think it was right to leave them NOTHING - but I don't feel an obligation to scrimp and go without just to leave them some money. I am 52 years old and the only money I've ever inherited or gotten from my relatives was $5000 from my grandmother, which I spent on a car (a used car). My parents could live another 15 years or so which will put me at nearly 70.

So let me get this straight - do you think my parents should scrimp and save to leave me, their 70 year old daughter, some money? Or do you think they should just skip me and leave it to my adult kids who will be in their 40s and 50s by then?

Do you think that since my husband makes more money than me and I quit working at age 50, that I shouldn't spend OUR money when I retire? Do you think I should just give it to our kids and live frugally? Do you think I am allowed one vacation a year? Two? Dental work but no facelift? Just what exactly are you saying?

According to your profile, you have no kids. It doesn't give your age, but please share it so we can have some perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology