Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I've noticed a fair amount of old people acting entitled. Many people also give them an excuse for their bad behavior or demanding attitudes, just because they are old. This may start around age 65 or so, but really takes hold in the 70s.

Do you think this is acceptable? It seems a lot of people think it's fine, just because they are old.
They will say they have earned the "right" - but do you really know they've "earned" it? And is selfishness, rudeness, and a demanding attitude ever a "right"?

Outside of family, I cannot see why any older person has any claim on someone younger having to do anything special for them, outside of basic human respect you give to someone at any age.

People often seem to think old people deserve more help; yet I've seen many well-off & capable old people taking advantage of those less well-off who are younger, and it's deemed acceptable because of their ages. There are things like senior discounts also, given with the assumption that retirement shrinks your budget, yet lot of old people are more comfortably situated than the younger generations who struggle to make ends meet in this economy.

There is also the notion that older people are more wise. After encountering so many prejudiced, racist, bigoted, sexist, trite, and just plain stupid old people, I have trouble buying this. It seems to me wisdom & maturity is not an automatic development with age, and a fair amount of young people show more insight than some old people. But many old people have a sense of entitlement & importance because of this idea - their thoughts & words & perspectives & stories are supposed to be given more weight than other people's, no matter how cliche, dull or warped.

What is your take on this? Do we generally treat old people fairly, or do they get a lot of unjust favoritism?
Do you see their attitudes & behaviors reflecting entitlement towards this favoritism?
In what ways are the old people in your life acting entitled. I am 70 years old and I don't think I feel I am entitled, except for SS which I have paid into for all of my working life. The other oldsters I know don't seem to feel entitled either. Many of us do volunteer work, for instance. How about some examples.

You can find bigoted, biased, disagreeable people in every age group.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:58 PM

854 posts, read 520,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
You can have the last word, Crazy-Cat-Lady. I don't need it.
I don't either. We were just having a conversation. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:02 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I've noticed a fair amount of old people acting entitled. Many people also give them an excuse for their bad behavior or demanding attitudes, just because they are old. This may start around age 65 or so, but really takes hold in the 70s.
nah, you're wrong. it starts much earlier than that, like in the 40s-50s. there are entitled, arrogant scum buckets of all ages though. the trust fund babies, the overweight middle-aged SUV soccer moms, jaded & divorced businessmen, insufferable elderly people, oblivious $10 coffee drinking lumberjack hipsters, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I don't know. I just wish they'd stop bashing the millennial generation because they call us 'entitled' too and it bugs the crap out of me.
they're just miserable and wanting to project their misery on others. believe me, their millennial offspring are probably having wet dreams about the situation where they might need to pull the plug.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:37 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
When I see or hear older people acting entitled or belittling other people, I just assume that they have been that way their whole entire lives. I don't attribute that to any specific age group. There are positively rancid personalities at every age. Thankfully, I have found most people to be nice and polite.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:53 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
When I see or hear older people acting entitled or belittling other people, I just assume that they have been that way their whole entire lives. I don't attribute that to any specific age group. There are positively rancid personalities at every age. Thankfully, I have found most people to be nice and polite.
I agree!

Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM

854 posts, read 520,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Very true. Perhaps we should stop putting people into age group boxes and just see people as individuals.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:56 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Very true. Perhaps we should stop putting people into age group boxes and just see people as individuals.
This ^ is a good note on which to close this dinosaur thread which was recently resurrected. Everyone, please note that bashing any group of people is rude and just wrong. The thread does not belong in the Psychology forum nor in any other City-Data forum.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology