Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:48 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times

Advertisements

I knew at around 21 , but I only get to visit that person every once and a while to see if he is still alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,393,887 times
As far as I know the Jungian concept if individuation, or discovering who you "really are", is an on-going process that may not even come to fruition for the vast majority of individuals. I think that it helps to read Jung (just so the process can be recognized), as well as to have the life circumstances that allow you to mature. A lot of people find themselves in lives, sometimes through little fault of their own but rather as a function of both economic situations and their surrounding social environment, that tend to stunt or slow the maturation process.

I'm in my later thirties and, i suppose, that starting in my early thirties I began realizing significant differences between my own core personality and the majority of individuals whom I meet. Before, I suppose that I assumed that other people generally held many of the same behavioral values that I did and that people who were highly divergent were the exception. Of course, this was naive rationalizing. Acknowledging how these personality traits set me apart as an individual while not expecting others to be like me, I suppose, is symptomatic of realizing "who I am".

Last edited by golgi1; 08-13-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 10:34 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,393,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
18 - during my first tour of combat in Viet Nam.
That would do it.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:06 PM

786 posts, read 1,592,688 times
I believe "figuring yourself out" is a life long endeavor, and evolves/changes with different stages of life.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:48 AM

652 posts, read 873,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
I believe "figuring yourself out" is a life long endeavor, and evolves/changes with different stages of life.
I disagree with your opinion. If it takes a lifetime you would be in the failure to thrive category.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:01 AM

165 posts, read 194,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
I disagree with your opinion. If it takes a lifetime you would be in the failure to thrive category.
No, I believe that is adaptation.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
It's an ever evolving process but having kids was when I really got to know myself very well in a very short period of time and really understand myself much better. Kids bring out the best and worst in parents which really lets those true colors shine through, good and bad.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 PM

193 posts, read 356,424 times
As I approach 60, it is clear that I was not intended to have any impact on society.

I am one of the 10% of the population with no special aptitudes or gifts.

Learning disabilities, toxic friendships, cruel bullies, endless and varied academic distractions in and out of the classroom, poor decisions, misunderstandings, and hundreds, if not thousands of sequential, interwoven events and synchronicities, have marked my bizarre existence.

It was roughly at age 22 when I came to realize that I was only human in form, but otherwise an alien with emotions and circumstances unparalleled among humanity.

Nearly 38 years later, the forces of nature are still playing their games, violating the laws of averages, and continuing with their statistical anomalies.

The resulting frustrations stemming from the above have defeated me thus far, but I still try to have glimmers of hope.

Fortunately, I had the wisdom to never date or develop relationships. I knew enough not to bring others into my world.
On the positive side, I love life and will never give up. I have not totally succumbed to nature's obvious and persistent plans for my failure and I am still extremely thankful nature has so far kept me safe from personal disaster and ruin.

I am grateful that I am not suicidal, blind, deaf, mentally retarded, criminally insane, or a psychopath.

i am thankful I was never in jail or a mental ward.

i am thankful I do not have a terminal illness.

I am thankful for years of unearned financially resources so I am not homeless

I am grateful I have a kind soul, and appreciate the beauty of life.

I had thought about writing a book, but it would not have legs to stand on, and thus never published.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:45 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,673 times
It's a process, a journey that is never completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology