Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:16 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,273 times

Advertisements

My friend just sent me a good article that talks about the reasons why others try to tell us what to do.

Reasons Why Others Try To Tell Us What To Do

The article says that even well-meaning people sometimes give "loaded" advice. They tell you to follow a certain path because it's what they would do, or what they've done in their own lives -- but it's not necessarily what makes sense for you.

For example, people simply assume that everyone should get married, buy a house, have 2 kids, become senior VP at a big corporation, and love football. We all have different interests and priorities -- and it's important to remember that when assessing whether the advice being given to you is truly sound.

Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 05:11 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,286 times
I agree with the article.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
they think thier way is the best and they want you to know about it too so you too can be happy.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
My friend just sent me a good article that talks about the reasons why others try to tell us what to do.

Reasons Why Others Try To Tell Us What To Do

The article says that even well-meaning people sometimes give "loaded" advice. They tell you to follow a certain path because it's what they would do, or what they've done in their own lives -- but it's not necessarily what makes sense for you.

For example, people simply assume that everyone should get married, buy a house, have 2 kids, become senior VP at a big corporation, and love football. We all have different interests and priorities -- and it's important to remember that when assessing whether the advice being given to you is truly sound.

Do you agree?
I read a piece a couple years ago referring to "metabolic chauvinism",
The Perils of ‘Metabolic Chauvinism’ | TIME.com

in which people believe that what worked for them must be what will work for other people also, in that case with regard to how to lose weight/be healthier.
So those folks go around exhorting others to "just do what I did", when it really isn't "that simple".

Quote:
Originally Posted by article excerpt
Metabolic chauvinism is the idea that one’s own experience — of a drug, a condition, a cure or sensation — is the same as that of everyone else. It’s similar to the way male chauvinists assume that the male perspective is the only one that matters.
The same mentality operates in many other areas, not just the care feeding and exercise of the body.
Of course there are some things that universally are good or bad for a human life-but there are many more things that are subjective, not "one-size-fits-all" rules.

My physiology and that of another person may differ greatly, so what makes someone else feel better may make me feel worse.
Doesn't make either of us objectively wrong or right, distinct individuals likely operate in dissimilar ways, at least on certain levels.

My desires & dreams may not be interchangeable with those of someone else.
I don't begrudge others their interests & priorities, why should mine be dismissed because they're in the minority ?

I do understand that people are usually working with the only info. they have, which is most often merely anecdotal.
Sure, I do that too-it's a natural way to draw conclusions, through "less than scientifically rigorous" trial-and-error.
We all have rather limited data sets with which to work, and tend to judge by our own results.
I just try to preface my opinions with "this is my experience, but YMMV-your experience is just as valid as mine."

Old 08-11-2014, 10:15 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,713 times
I've always fallen under the impression that people only tell us what to do when they are unhappy with their own lives and feel a sense of power and control over others, because they lack power/control within their own selves.

Truly happy and confident people don't feel the need to wag their finger and "advise" people without their consent. Truly happy people respect people's individual needs and recognize each person is different.

It's the one's who act all high and mighty that feel the need to tell others what to do because inside they're just as confused or unsure, if not even more, and try to justify being "expert" in other people's lives because they lie to themselves and try to convince themselves each and every day. how. right. they are.

Very ego-driven.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:48 PM

774 posts, read 906,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I've always fallen under the impression that people only tell us what to do when they are unhappy with their own lives and feel a sense of power and control over others, because they lack power/control within their own selves.

Truly happy and confident people don't feel the need to wag their finger and "advise" people without their consent. Truly happy people respect people's individual needs and recognize each person is different.

It's the one's who act all high and mighty that feel the need to tell others what to do because inside they're just as confused or unsure, if not even more, and try to justify being "expert" in other people's lives because they lie to themselves and try to convince themselves each and every day. how. right. they are.

Very ego-driven.
This makes sense to me.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 PM

Those who ask me how Im doing and feel they have to jump in with LOUD, PUSHY, OVERBEARING, NONSTOP REPEATED, UNASKED FOR ADVICE when I answer their.question are obnoxious, flawed people who dont realize they are insulting my intelligence. They never walked an inch let alone the proverbial mile in my shoes WHO ARE THEY TO DEMAND I FOLLOW THEIR UNASKED FOR.ADVICE? Isnt it better to just listen to another person and accept what they say?

Old 08-11-2014, 11:08 PM

Its a different thing if one day I called one of "chief advisors" up and said to her say "Oh Cousin Prima (name is a euphemism) gee Id like your advice on something" And then by rights she could go to town on me.,.,the works but in 63 years that day never happened because I have never been known to ask for advice except from true experts and in return I never give any direct personal advice out Im just a good listener and a good friend.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:35 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,204,524 times
many people are great at giving advice,,,but they don't take it themselves

people talk to compensate for their own failures

when I was introducing the game of golf to my son, in his teens,,, and we played on separate teams- he asked me "why do the worst players give the most advice"??
I answered him- the genuine good guys,,,,may see potential in you they don't in themselves, and offer advice, that they also need to heed, and they know it- they admittedly make the same mistakes, and want you to do better,,but
most will give advice, because they themselves feel inadequate, and you are an easy target to dump on ....
insecure people, make insecure statements to others

Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
many people are great at giving advice,,,but they don't take it themselves

people talk to compensate for their own failures

when I was introducing the game of golf to my son, in his teens,,, and we played on separate teams- he asked me "why do the worst players give the most advice"??
I answered him- the genuine good guys,,,,may see potential in you they don't in themselves, and offer advice, that they also need to heed, and they know it- they admittedly make the same mistakes, and want you to do better,,but
most will give advice, because they themselves feel inadequate, and you are an easy target to dump on ....
insecure people, make insecure statements to others

All she ever does is aggressively push her unrequited advice on me. I wonder why cousin Prima feels inadequate. I still cant find a wife and shes been married forty years now and she mothered a son.

Maybe she doesn't appreciate what she has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology