Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 AM

624 posts, read 763,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
The man probably suffered from clinical depression, and had apparently tried to self medicate with alcohol and drugs in the past. I would guess he was tired of fighting the battle. I have clinical depression, and have had serious problems with alcohol in my past. While medication has helped, it is only through my relationship wih God through Jesus Christ that I have found lasting joy and peace, as well as the strength to stay sober. I can only guess that Mr. Williams didn't have peace with or from God, or he wouldn't have done this. It is very sad.
I read he was active in his local Episcopalian Church. Severe clinical depression kills people every day. I do believe his death will not be in vain, it seems to be opening up a much needed public dialogue about the seriousness of mental illness and it's role in suicides. RIP Robin. You were a good guy who did his best.

Last edited by Ten Cat; 08-13-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When there is little discussion of the details other than words like "apparent suicide" and "strangulation" it's often because the family is covering up an accidental death from a failed Autoerotic asphyxiation attempt. People don't like to talk about it because they don't want to give young people ideas, and it makes the family uncomfortable. I'm not suggesting this is the case here, just something to think about.
Ya know, I get tired of hearing this stuff. People were saying the same thing about L'Wren Scott. Some people just can't take life anymore and want to check out. Not so plain and simple, but there you go. Both Williams and Scott were having serious financial issues when they decided to end it all. Money problems can REALLY make you feel trapped and overwhelmed.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. People of all classes commit suicide, because depression doesn't discriminate.
It makes a lot of sense because poorer people normally don't commit suicides because they have a job to go to and must take care of their loved ones which is why you normally don't hear a working dad commits suicide. But it's ok for men that are well off because their kin will be taken cared of.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Well, actually... news reports are suggesting he didn't so much anymore. He had to downsize big-time a year or two ago and sell properties he could no longer afford after expensive divorce settlements. Word is that he still now had serious financial troubles, which is how he found himself doing parts for a TV series in his 60s for the cash. And then that series got cancelled... combine that with a history of depression, and....

Williams faced ‘serious money troubles’ | Page Six

But he made sure to set up trust funds for his kids before he went..
Robin Williams Set Up Trust Funds For His Kids - Business Insider
I could never understand why he did that horrible Snickers bar commercial. Now I know Bless him for making sure his children would be alright financially.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:12 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
If people care to look further for real stats they will find poor or rich, people commit suicide nearly equally in numbers for various reasons different and similar. You may not hear about the poor as much, because for news stations it isn't national news worthy for them. But it quite often some low income person or rich person will end it all, sometimes even in murder suicide scenarios.

Last edited by TRosa; 08-13-2014 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 12:16 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,373,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Thank you for answering. What is the documentary called?
It is a two part series called The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
which is why you normally don't hear a working dad commits suicide.
On the contrary I hear of many such cases. The reason the general joe does not hear of them is not because it does not happen. It is because for the most part people simply do not CARE. It is not the kind of news story people want to read or watch.

I think if you actually look at official peer reviewed studies on the matter however you would be hard pushed to find figures to back up your hypothesis at all.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't see why anyone would ask "why do successful people commit suicide?" Obviously, money and success don't make you happy deep down. You can have everything everyone thinks should make you happy, even that YOU think should make you happy, and still not be happy. You are the same person inside, poor or rich, successful or not. That's why geographical cures don't work either. Wherever you go, there you are.
Success would make me happy. I have situational depression.

In Robin's case, I do think he might have not been doing as well financially and that might have helped him want to. I know it has been said he had manic depression but I really think the drugs did not help. So people if you are feeling blue, don't take drugs. I guess you have to if your condition is inborn but try and explore other options first and only take what is prescribed.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:35 PM

939 posts, read 795,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
I read he was active in his local Episcopalian Church. Severe clinical depression kills people every day. I do believe his death will not be in vain, it seems to be opening up a much needed public dialogue about the seriousness of mental illness and it's role in suicides. RIP Robin. You were a good guy who did his best.
I hope he was right with God. He seemed like a good guy, and was incredibly talented.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I think from seeing him there was as other pointed out a deep unhappiness there--
where from who knows--
it is difficult to know if anyone outside a close circle of friends ever knew the "real" Robin Williams--
read a short example of his ability to be focused and caring when he was doing some type of tv show and hear when he was done that member of the crew had child in Afghanistan--
Williams had gone there 2 or 3 times to visit troops and had deep respect for people in military--
he apparently sought that person out and had very intimate conversation about 30 min or so--totally off camera--about how much respect he had for people in service and how proud parent must be and how difficult it was having loved one in military--

that was side of Robin Williams he showed to very few people I think because it was the side most people didn't expect or want to see--
personally I thought there was always something sad about the manic comedy he came out with when he was "on" tv...just so frantic

I imagine his wife is truly regretting giving him so much space
but no one knows what was going on in their relationship to cast any stones

Old 08-13-2014, 02:05 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It makes a lot of sense because poorer people normally don't commit suicides because they have a job to go to and must take care of their loved ones which is why you normally don't hear a working dad commits suicide. But it's ok for men that are well off because their kin will be taken cared of.
Say what? 30,000 people kill themselves each year in this country; you think they are all rich?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology