Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 10:00 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
They "failed miserably where it counts"?

You obviously have absolutely no idea what clinical depression is, much less any knowledge about the genetic predisposition to this disorder.
I recovered from life long severe depression.
One of us is guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
FYI: For those who still believe mental illness can be overcome with "positive thinking," exercise, or the like. Not saying those things can't HELP, but they're unlikely to FIX anything.

(original source Mayo Clinic)
Theres a huge difference between organic brain based illnesses such as schizophrenia and mind based illnesses. One will respond to chemicals, the other can be treated by the spiritual approach.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Robin Williams had severe health problems - he had Lewy Body Dementia
https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

It was not a matter of being happy or not nor having money.

He was losing many of his faculties and suffering with the effects of Lewy Body Dementia.
He was alcoholic.
That he is thought to have killed himself because of dementia is not a medical fact.
That was his wifes opinion.
There is very little correlation there.

Its far more likely his untreated alcoholism got him, the documented correlation is very strong.
Its 120 times more prevelant among alcoholics.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On this subject of black hole of depression, I lived thru it for 10 yrs, how black it was -- it was bad enough...and over 10 yrs about 5 doctors failed me by NOT getting to the route of my issue -- thyroid...they all were going by numbers, feeling around my throat, swallowing glass of water and continue with A/D drugs. Saying my thyroid was fine.

Then finally my old time back D.O. doctor found my relief with his call in for thyroid support and all those 10 yrs of depression lifted...

Wonder about these people and what kinds of doctors they saw, did they get to the ones "who knew more"...etc etc. So many MD's miss SO MUCH and especially in this number medical world.

With all their resources one would think they can go everywhere for help, but who knows...many just stay with mainstream MD's and their numbers.
This year a famous reporter came out with a personal story like that. I still don't know how it took so long for her to be diagnosed with a malfunctioning thyroid.

My own story is not of being in severe depression, but I was low in vitamin D for probably many years and my mood improved when that was fixed. I don't think in many different visits for various concerns, any doctor had ever tested me for that.

Medical care standards are not what they should be.

I think it likely that Kate Spade had vitamin D deficiency as a contributing factor to her depressed mood. It's very common, and it sounds like she was holed up indoors (away from the natural source, the sun) more than most people.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:44 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
He was alcoholic.
That he is thought to have killed himself because of dementia is not a medical fact.
That was his wifes opinion.
There is very little correlation there.

Its far more likely his untreated alcoholism got him, the documented correlation is very strong.
Its 120 times more prevelant among alcoholics.
What are you talking about, it’s not a fact? He was diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia he’s had the symptoms for over a year. What is your basis for questioning that?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-11-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-11-2018, 06:16 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
We euthanize pets when they are dying, why can't we show the same compassion to people?

Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Theres a huge difference between organic brain based illnesses such as schizophrenia and mind based illnesses. One will respond to chemicals, the other can be treated by the spiritual approach.
Did I ever claim otherwise? I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the former, which I’m pretty sure includes clinical depression... but what would you consider a “mind-based illness” instead?

Old 06-11-2018, 08:38 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
This year a famous reporter came out with a personal story like that. I still don't know how it took so long for her to be diagnosed with a malfunctioning thyroid.

My own story is not of being in severe depression, but I was low in vitamin D for probably many years and my mood improved when that was fixed. I don't think in many different visits for various concerns, any doctor had ever tested me for that.

Medical care standards are not what they should be.

I think it likely that Kate Spade had vitamin D deficiency as a contributing factor to her depressed mood. It's very common, and it sounds like she was holed up indoors (away from the natural source, the sun) more than most people.
Could very well be a contribution...so so so many are Vit D deficient. I know my folks and all their siblings were and everyone around them...millions are deficient...

Old 06-11-2018, 08:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I know the answer a bus driver at Catalina told me
When you got money you methodically eliminate all the jerks from your experience you even move out of Los Angeles and buy a condo on Catalina island you finally have done it but you walk into the bathroom turn on the light and realize there is one more jerk to get rid of
Bang bang

Old 06-13-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know this post is quite old, but I do want to say something in Robin Williams' defense. While I never met him personally, many people I know (including my brother) did, since one of his children went to my elementary school... and he was widely known around here as a wonderful human being, with kindness and compassion beyond what you normally see even in non-celebs. He volunteered his time to read to the kids at our school, and would occasionally visit unexpectedly just to cheer up the students! I've literally never heard anyone say a negative word about the man, so I sincerely doubt he was the "lonely loser" you seem to think he was. Jealous much?
Rhe Alcoholics root problem is fatal selfishness. Its not their generosity that compels them to drink pathologically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology