Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I think it's just being compulsive.

One of the things I noticed in the hoarder pictures is a lot of plastic bags. I don't use plastic bags as much as possible but instead, cotton mesh and solid shopping bags. A thing about cotton shopping bags is that they tend to be very visible and sooner or later, one is compelled to see what is inside of them, empty them, to put them back in the Forester or the F-250 so they can be used again.

I am a good witch.

It is, however, compulsive. I have been using cotton shopping bags since at least the early 90's. It makes me feel good to use them when I am shopping, to put them back in the car for more use. Evey so often, I buy some more, because I see them in the store, and I like the feeling I get when I buy them (or I don't have a decent supply with me and I would rather add them to my purchase than use plastic).

Compulsive? Certainly. Eccentric, probably without a doubt. But it is a good compulsion, I can afford to be eccentric.

Many, many years ago in my acting classes, pehaps in my "junior" year, it suddenly hit me about the difference between me and my acting comrades. To them, what we did was their bread and butter, what they would base their life on, how they would probably survive. To me, it was a game!

When I expressed that to an acting prof, she said that was okay, it was an acceptable way to approach acting if one could afford to do so.

Similar thing here.
So how many shopping bags do you own? And where do you keep them?

If you won't post pictures of the inside of your house (because of "photos on the wall") then how 'bout you post photos of the inside of your car? Or of your second apartment where you store other things?

Don't take a picture of the walls - take some pointing down. How 'bout around your computer, or your bedside table or the chair where you usually sit?

By the way, whether you're a "hoarder" or simply "compulsive" does it really matter what you call it if your entire house - no, both houses - are filled to the brim with stuff?

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-21-2014 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
How many storage units do you have?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Tamara, hello how are you

You surround yourself with things that have meaning to you. You also said you do not have visitors over. So it sounds like treasured objects have been replacements for real people in your life. You might say hey I talk on the internet with a bunch of people, yes, but that is not people in real life.

Do you think that is a good way to live?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Tamara, hello how are you

You surround yourself with things that have meaning to you. You also said you do not have visitors over. So it sounds like treasured objects have been replacements for real people in your life. You might say hey I talk on the internet with a bunch of people, yes, but that is not people in real life.

Do you think that is a good way to live?
Just because I don't have people over doesn't mean I don't associate with others. I'm a belly dancer, a diver, and a Rennie. I was at a girlfriend's son's birthday party last week. The week before I went to my high school reunion. I may spend my Friday night's alone at home, but I do go out and associate with people.

Shopping bags? Bunches, usually keep them stuffed in each other in either the car or the truck or both.

Storage units of what kind?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:59 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Tamara, this is the bottom line: Does your stuff make you happy or unhappy? Would you feel better if your kept it or if you got rid of it? It doesn't sound like you live with anyone, and you appear to be happy to not have visitors. If your lifestyle doesn't bother anyone and if having old TV's in closets and 2000+ VHS tapes makes you happy, then don't worry about it.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

By the way, whether you're a "hoarder" or simply "compulsive" does it really matter what you call it if your entire house - no, both houses - are filled to the brim with stuff?
Didn't say they both were filled to the brim with stuff. In fact, I think I particularly said of how I was not allowing apartment #2 to go the way of #1. Got to run.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
We need photos.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I hate to say it, OP, but you might be a borderline hoarder and might benefit from consulting someone you can relate to with training who can recommend some strategies that will work for you. Or, as recommended, take a look at the book, _Organizing from the Inside Out_

http://www.amazon.com/Organizing-Ins.../dp/0805075895

This has been one of the most interesting threads on C-D right now.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We need photos.
I have a feeling that photos of Tamara's house would make most of us say, "Whoa!" and I don't blame her for not posting them. It's pretty clear that she has a whole lot of stuff crammed into her house that the majority of people would have ditched years ago. But if she's happy with it and no one is complaining, what difference does it make? Sounds like she takes care of herself, goes to work every evening and does fun things when she's off. And, she likes her stuff.

I don't think we need any more information.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:36 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I have a feeling that photos of Tamara's house would make most of us say, "Whoa!" and I don't blame her for not posting them. It's pretty clear that she has a whole lot of stuff crammed into her house that the majority of people would have ditched years ago. But if she's happy with it and no one is complaining, what difference does it make? Sounds like she takes care of herself, goes to work every evening and does fun things when she's off. And, she likes her stuff.

I don't think we need any more information.
She's the one who initially posted the question about whether or not she was a hoarder because she had 7+ first aid kits scattered around the house. And it went on from there where she admitted to having much, much, much more in her house than just a few extra first aid kits.

I am curious to know how many square feet her house is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology