Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:59 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times

Advertisements

(Not even sure if this is the right forum, but...)

I'm an introvert but not unfriendly. And we occasionally like to dine out.

Lately, though, we have been unable to do so because of NOISE ASSAULT. Noisy environments have always bugged me a little. Now I seem to have lost patience altogether.

I don't mind hearing other people's conversations around me. Maybe not even some very low-volume music.

What I do not want is to sit in a restaurant listening to someone else's bad idea of music, plus seven televisions, all blaring at the sound level of a 747 takeoff. Some of you will know what I mean. I don't want to have to scream to be heard when I'm talking, and I want those at my table to be able to hear me, too.

The only nearby restaurants that don't subject you to noise assault are too expensive to patronize on a regular basis.

Any suggestions, other than 'stay home?' Like a certain type of restaurant I maybe haven't considered?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I don't think this is an introvert thing but rather a noise sensitivity thing. A lot of noise really bothers me too, especially competing noise (TV on with music on with multiple conversation going on). I don't have any specific suggestions because restaurants will vary from one city to the next but I'd personally stay away from sports bars, clubs and probably bars in general since they all tend to be loud.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
My mother is like this - it's often nearly impossible to go out to eat with her because she seems hypersensitive to noise/music/etc. She's also hypersensitive to any noise in her house, especially after she goes to bed (with the chickens). Honestly, it can interfere with visits with her because she's so hypersensitive - it makes others nervous around her.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
I'm an introvert and my mom knows not to invite me over for dinner if she's having guest or many family members over. I cant deal with with listening to 4 different conversations going on at once. I literally get dizzy and/or nausous. I'll go over the following day when its nice and quiet.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Any suggestions, other than 'stay home?' Like a certain type of restaurant I maybe haven't considered?
I'm not really an introvert but I can identify with being turned off by the noise.

Here are some things I've done . . .

- Eat at off-times, like around 4:00 (ish) and ask for a booth away from the TVs

- Get your meal to go and take it to a park or other scenic spot. (I love HyVee China Express. I grab a box -- instant picnic!)

- Try eating on the patio (if they have one)

- Eat at a small ethnic restaurant or mom and pop place that caters to an older crowd (no TVs in the dining room, maybe at the bar, if that)

- "Fine dining" restaurants (which are also pricey) tend to be a lot quieter

I don't have noise canceling earphones, but I know some guys who will wear those to a restaurant at prime time . . . and eat alone. I'm not sure I could do that, but they are somewhat anti-social anyway.

I avoid:

- sports bars
- fast food places (screaming kids!)
- inexpensive buffets at prime time (off-times can be very quiet)
- kid places (like Chucky Cheese)

Honestly, these days if I'm not eating with anyone and don't feel like cooking or nuking a TV dinner, I love going down to the river and eating a take-out meal. I can enjoy the scenery, clear my mind, make some lists . . .

Old 08-14-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My mother is like this - it's often nearly impossible to go out to eat with her because she seems hypersensitive to noise/music/etc. She's also hypersensitive to any noise in her house, especially after she goes to bed (with the chickens). Honestly, it can interfere with visits with her because she's so hypersensitive - it makes others nervous around her.
Well, no, that's not exactly me... my house is relatively quiet but I don't mind conversation, cars going by, even chickens. . Poor Mom sounds even more sensitive.

My problem is that I don't believe a restaurant should have the same noise level as a heavy metal concert. I'm also encouraged to see that I'm not the only one!

Old 08-14-2014, 12:09 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Well, no, that's not exactly me... my house is relatively quiet but I don't mind conversation, cars going by, even chickens. . Poor Mom sounds even more sensitive.

My problem is that I don't believe a restaurant should have the same noise level as a heavy metal concert. I'm also encouraged to see that I'm not the only one!
I agree. I hate when I go to a restaurant and the music is so loud that you have to yell in order to have a conversation. I think it's totally inappropriate.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
(Not even sure if this is the right forum, but...)

I'm an introvert but not unfriendly. And we occasionally like to dine out.

Lately, though, we have been unable to do so because of NOISE ASSAULT. Noisy environments have always bugged me a little. Now I seem to have lost patience altogether.

I don't mind hearing other people's conversations around me. Maybe not even some very low-volume music.

What I do not want is to sit in a restaurant listening to someone else's bad idea of music, plus seven televisions, all blaring at the sound level of a 747 takeoff. Some of you will know what I mean. I don't want to have to scream to be heard when I'm talking, and I want those at my table to be able to hear me, too.

The only nearby restaurants that don't subject you to noise assault are too expensive to patronize on a regular basis.

I hate that too!!!!!

last week, two little boys were sitting at a fast food restaurant, and this boy turned on his video game, sounds of loud blasting, i listened for 2 minutes to see what they were going to do, when they continued, i got up and asked them nicely to mute it. as i turned to my seat right behind them, their grandmother came by and i smiled sweetly and took my seat. the boys did keep it off.

i do try to avoid those loud restaurants and go for the quieter ones, the ones that are pubs like Fridays could be quieter at some times of the day. or a family restaurant which has a more quiet atmosphere sometimes, depends, sometimes people talk loud.

Houlians is quiet between popular meal times (1:00 to 4:00 p.m.) even Red Lobster, and others.

TGI Fridays is quiet during certain times, but after 5:00 is louder.

so go between popular meal times or keep scouting and see which ones may be a good surprise for you. bring your headphones in case you get some loud talkers behind you.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 PM

It's not talking that bothers me. It's music blasting and TVs blaring.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 PM

551 posts, read 582,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I'm an introvert and my mom knows not to invite me over for dinner if she's having guest or many family members over. I cant deal with with listening to 4 different conversations going on at once. I literally get dizzy and/or nausous. I'll go over the following day when its nice and quiet.
Me too. I had a class a couple semesters ago - a seminar actually- that broke into large groups frequently. I really struggled with concentrating on the topic at hand, with the various conversations buzzing loudly about. One of the times I had to complete a worksheet with a small group, within a larger group, within a small room...my small group would relay directions as to what I should write, multiple people at once. I could barely focus on that but then there was all this back ground noise and our larger group interrupting. Honestly I got scared because physically I started to feel ill and panicky. I couldn't comprehend what people were saying, everything was swimming, and I thought something must seriously be wrong with me. Nope, just garden variety anxiety with a huge dose of noise-sensitivity. I HATE group work in classrooms, and I've come to the conclusion the noise of all the groups talking is what bugs me most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology