Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this - some people expect God to do something like a magic trick, wave His hand and voila - the person has his/her problems fixed.

It doesn't work like that. Even devout followers of Christ do not get their prayers answered, if anyone should have their prayers answered, it should be those christian martyrs right now getting killed by the ISIS brutality.

God is not anyone's personal servant. The King of the universe is not your servant/butler. You try using that tactic - to your boss or a policeman, or someone in authority that you snap your fingers and they all come and do your bidding. You think Obama is gonna do that? and how much higher God is than a mere human.

Jesus on the earth was God in the flesh and people expected Him to do tricks, and he did not. It takes another kind of thing to move God, faith, and not for disrespectful things such as has been described in this topic.

I got a better idea, how about we serve God out of humble gratitude for what He did already. Oh yes God could shine a light if He wanted to to enable someone to find something. However, this is totally not the way to go about it, IF someone wanted a favor from God. disrespecting the King of the universe as if He is some common bum sitting on a barstool, oh my no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 01:39 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I've been thinking about this - some people expect God to do something like a magic trick, wave His hand and voila - the person has his/her problems fixed.

It doesn't work like that. Even devout followers of Christ do not get their prayers answered, if anyone should have their prayers answered, it should be those christian martyrs right now getting killed by the ISIS brutality.

God is not anyone's personal servant. The King of the universe is not your servant/butler. You try using that tactic - to your boss or a policeman, or someone in authority that you snap your fingers and they all come and do your bidding. You think Obama is gonna do that? and how much higher God is than a mere human.

Jesus on the earth was God in the flesh and people expected Him to do tricks, and he did not. It takes another kind of thing to move God, faith, and not for disrespectful things such as has been described in this topic.

I got a better idea, how about we serve God out of humble gratitude for what He did already. Oh yes God could shine a light if He wanted to to enable someone to find something. However, this is totally not the way to go about it, IF someone wanted a favor from God. disrespecting the King of the universe as if He is some common bum sitting on a barstool, oh my no.
It doesn't work like that but it should. He doesn't need to fix everything nor should he help someone if they're not putting forth effort. However, he needs to fix important things that are beyond our control. If God is real, he's either a sadist or not much more powerful than us. This is my problem with religion. Don't call him a God because either way he's not worth worshiping if he's real (again I'm agnostic so I can't really say he exists or not)
It's easy for you to say that we should serve him if he helped you. What did he actually do for me? Nothing...he wasn't there when I was as close to suicide as a person could be with my irrational fear and he's not there now to help me to find a job.
Exactly if people are suffering through brutality then he sure don't care about me. I'm just the ant on the hill and he's sitting there with his magnifying glass burning me to see how much I can bleed inside. That's all I'll ever be to him.
The saying goes "God helps those who help themselves" Do you think I'm not trying to help myself? Yes I am so you can just f yourself if you're real and have the power to help, God.
That's fine I guess I'm worthless to myself a lot so thank you for clarifying that for me.

Last edited by Nickchick; 08-17-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
It doesn't work like that but it should. He doesn't need to fix everything nor should he help someone if they're not putting forth effort. However, he needs to fix important things that are beyond our control. If God is real, he's either a sadist or not much more powerful than us. This is my problem with religion. Don't call him a God because either way he's not worth worshiping if he's real (again I'm agnostic so I can't really say he exists or not)
It's easy for you to say that we should serve him if he helped you. What did he actually do for me? Nothing...he wasn't there when I was as close to suicide as a person could be with my irrational fear and he's not there now to help me to find a job.
Exactly if people are suffering through brutality then he sure don't care about me. I'm just the ant on the hill and he's sitting there with his magnifying glass burning me to see how much I can bleed inside. That's all I'll ever be to him.
The saying goes "God helps those who help themselves" Do you think I'm not trying to help myself? Yes I am so you can just f yourself if you're real and have the power to help, God.
That's fine I guess I'm worthless to myself a lot so thank you for clarifying that for me.
I am sorry Nickchchick that you are going thru a horrible time. I wish i were there in real life to give you some comfort and hope.

For the OP, though, the words I said about God were directed to him for the reasons I wrote. Please do not think that they were meant for you. You and he have two totally different issues.

If you seek God you will find Him, if you seek him with all your heart, is the only comfort I can give to you without going too off topic here.

if you want, please see me on the Christianity forum and we can talk about it there.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I am sorry Nickchchick that you are going thru a horrible time. I wish i were there in real life to give you some comfort and hope.

For the OP, though, the words I said about God were directed to him for the reasons I wrote. Please do not think that they were meant for you. You and he have two totally different issues.

If you seek God you will find Him, if you seek him with all your heart, is the only comfort I can give to you without going too off topic here.

if you want, please see me on the Christianity forum and we can talk about it there.
I'm a lot more complicated than that though so stuff like that won't really help me. I think you'll see from a lot of my posts that I don't really care what people think generally so it's hard to believe positivity as well. I know that I'm opinionated and I am stubborn so when I believe something there's no changing my mind until I actually see it for myself. I need circumstantial validation in other words and I could get that from the right people but the right people just don't care to help.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I'm a lot more complicated than that though so stuff like that won't really help me. I think you'll see from a lot of my posts that I don't really care what people think generally so it's hard to believe positivity as well. I know that I'm opinionated and I am stubborn so when I believe something there's no changing my mind until I actually see it for myself. I need circumstantial validation in other words and I could get that from the right people but the right people just don't care to help.
Hi - i think this is the first time i've seen your posts, but i can get a general idea from what you just said.

I wont give you some lame pep talk about Jesus. but, a lot of His followers were stubborn too. Right now on TBN theres a Bible movie about Peter and Paul. Paul was a hater of christians, but God did get ahold of him and changed him totally. You want proof? Remember what I said earlier to you - if you seek Him you will find Him if you see Him with all your heart. That is my message to you from the love of Jesus.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Am I the only one who becomes sometimes downright FURIOUS when I can't find something I'm looking for? It makes me extremely angry. I can even get to the point of doing things like calling in sick for work or canceling an appointment with a lawyer and the like because an item I was trying to take with me is missing and I'm hell bent and determined that I'm not going to leave without it, even if it's something that could be bought at any common store for $3. It's the PRINCIPLE of the thing--to me, no matter what, things should never go missing. If it takes an act of God or magic, so be it, but things should never go missing. Ever. I mean it--ever.

What set me off tonight and inspired me to post--for some reason, as of late, I can't keep up with my tablet to save my life. I've lost it like 3 times just in the last month. It always turned up ultimately, but not without a lot of aggravation and stress preceding it. One of those times it was in the car and I looked in the very spot it was in, but just couldn't see it. I was seriously staring right at it and couldn't see it. My wife, later, went to that spot and saw it immediately.

The thing is, I wasn't relieved, I was incensed because it took so long (like an hour) for it to turn up that way. The same thing happened tonight--it was under the bed sheets, but I couldn't see it, I spent like 45 minutes looking everywhere, and becoming so angry I even started overturning bookshelves and breaking things. I just plain flipped. It really incensed me because our house was very clean and orderly, I'm talking Martha Stewart Living nice, it wasn't like the house was a mess, yet regardless it STILL went missing for some 45 minutes.

It drives me crazy, and I really mean this--to me, it just shouldn't happen, no matter what. I shouldn't have to retrace my steps or practically have to ransack the house to find it, it should just turn up period, automatically, as if by magic. Having to search for something is just entirely too much work.

Feel free to flame me all you want, if this post sounds ridiculous. That said, does anyone else also hate losing things, even if not quite this much?
I get pretty angry at myself when I lose or forget things.. it's been so consistent for so long that I don't stay angry for long, because if I did every time.. I'd probably shoot myself by then. Seriously, anger just makes my memories go even more haywire.

Short-term memory is the worst for me. I walk into a room thinking to grab something and when I get there, I forget why I was there to begin with. It's like I'm constantly thinking of something else, daydreaming, or getting side-tracked.

Seriously, this forgetting business is driving me insane, also. I used to take Gingko Biloba for memory, and I'd forget where I'd place the bottle, so that didn't work. I heard lecithin and omega 3 + DHEA helps for memory.

I just keep reminding myself: "It's okay. Don't get angry." Frustration is only natural.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
I lose things at least every day. I have a problem with keys, so my husband got me the gadget where you clap and they are supposed to beep, but I couldn't clap hard enough because it didn't work. Everyone hates when I can't find something because it bothers me so much, that I'll take a room apart looking for something. It's terrible, but I usually find it that way. I still haven't found 2 sets of keys though.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Hi - i think this is the first time i've seen your posts, but i can get a general idea from what you just said.

I wont give you some lame pep talk about Jesus. but, a lot of His followers were stubborn too. Right now on TBN theres a Bible movie about Peter and Paul. Paul was a hater of christians, but God did get ahold of him and changed him totally. You want proof? Remember what I said earlier to you - if you seek Him you will find Him if you see Him with all your heart. That is my message to you from the love of Jesus.
That's not proof to me. I had genuinely asked for him to take my pain away that day I was that close to suicide and the pain was still there. The only reason I did not commit the act is because of my fear. Music helps me a lot but of course it's not going to fix the problem. The closest thing to proof was there was a lot of motivational songs coming up on Spotify yesterday but it must not be because when I looked for jobs in the night nothing was there. Nothing has changed. I've seen no verifiable signs that if God actually exists that he cares. If he cared he wouldn't have let so much stuff in the past happen to me or at the very least after all the stuff that happened he would help me find a job by now.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:26 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
So, yes, I flee grunt work all I can. So what. Don't like it--go hump yourself on a burning gas grill. Go suck on a nuclear missile. Go find a high cliff and swan dine, maybe the world would do better for you to exist as food for the vultures, if this is the way you're going to be. Who needs you? You sound just like my family did or maybe even worse. If you became lost, maybe that would be a good thing, not sure we'd miss you, but we'd sure notice the quieter atmosphere.

What bugs me is when, even when you do that, people like my wife act like even that is a problem, whereas, done properly anyway, I see no problem with "venting."
If the first paragraph of this quote is your idea of "venting" done properly, then I can see where your wife is coming from. You may have problems that are beyond the scope of this forum, in my opinion. I know you don't care about my opinion and will probably tell me to die in some ridiculously immature, nonsensical, paragraph-long rant. You keep talking about things GOING MISSING. You used that phrase twice in your OP, as if the items had legs and walked themselves into a hiding place. You say things like that shouldn't HAPPEN, as if they occur all by themselves. Look inside and recognize that it is YOU that keeps losing things, and your immature over-reactions to minor frustrations that plaque everyone are really just anger at yourself turned outwards. I hope that you seek anger mgmt assistance before you hurt someone, or drive them away.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:26 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
This thread has become rather strange indeed, but I'll say one thing for the OP: anger management issues or no, he has an amusing turn of phrase.

Channeling Don Rickles? Perhaps he should try stand-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology