Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 12:59 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,569,707 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I'll have encounters with strange people that I share with my immediate family or perhaps close friends, but I thought it might be entertaining to start a thread of strange or funny experiences, and psychology seemed the most adequate place to put this. I had three odd experiences on my trip to St Louis and back last week-I was stuck in Chicago overnight when my flight kept being delayed due to weather and caused me to miss my connection to St Louis. I got a reservation with a local hotel, and the lady at the desk told me she would send the driver over to get me. I was waiting outside for about 45 minutes for the shuttle driver. Close by me was a very heavy man in a wheelchair who also appeared to be waiting for a shuttle (I state his size not out of prejudice, but just so the reader can better imagine the scene). After about 20 minutes, the man suddenly popped out of the wheelchair and walked away, never to be seen by me again. I found it very odd that a) he was sitting in a wheelchair when he wasn't handicapped, and b) was in a wheelchair that was obviously not his own. A little while after he walked off, a mother came walking down the sidewalk with her two teenagers. They were starting to walk by, but then the teenaged girl randomly plopped down into the wheelchair. I thought it was strange that she would do that when she didn't know who it belonged to, and I found it odd also that her mother seemed to think nothing of her daughter doing that.

On my trip back from St Louis Thursday, my plane was again delayed (this time for mechanical problems) and caused me to miss my connection. This time, I had to spend the night in a hotel near Washington, DC. As I was about to get on the elevator, a short man with a turban on his head stepped off of the elevator wearing only one shoe. In one hand, he carried his other shoe, and in the other hand he carried a bouquet of flowers. I found this sight amusing and yet perplexing. That night, I didn't get to bed until 11:30, and I had to be up at 5:30 to catch the first flight out. At 1 a.m., I was awakened by very loud hammering. This went on for about 15 minutes. I heard a woman's annoyed voice ask, "Are you almost done?" I thought about calling the front desk to complain about them having a maintenance man out at that hour to bother guests, but I didn't want to get myself more awake and risk not being able to fall right back to sleep, so I endured the racket until it stopped. The next morning, I complained when I checked out of the hotel. The clerk looked baffled and told me she was the only one who had been there all night, and no maintenance men had been dispatched. I told her she'd better check the rooms immediately around me then, because somebody had apparently taken it upon themselves to make renovations to their room.

So those are my strange experiences the past few days. Anybody else want to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 08:02 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,428,591 times
Yesterday at a perfectly normal restaurant, a woman came in wearing a sun dress and she was covered with tattoos. That wasn't the weird thing though. The weird thing was that she had on two very different shoes - one was a strappy tall sandal (gold straps) and the other was a completely enclosed red stiletto pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology