U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 12:04 AM

13 posts, read 12,478 times

Advertisements

i enjoy hearing about these news stories where there is some tragedy or another because it reminds me how good i have it. crazy, ya?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 AM

8,313 posts, read 7,168,945 times
Well, do you feel grateful? and humbly grateful that you have things better?

Or do you get a kind of malicious glee over how bad they have it and you gloat about how good you have it? and maybe a little poetic justice because those idiots got what they deserved and you dont have it because you are better/luckier than them?

the answer to that could mean the difference between a yes or no to your question.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:33 AM

4,761 posts, read 12,491,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathis waiting View Post
i enjoy hearing about these news stories where there is some tragedy or another because it reminds me how good i have it. crazy, ya?
At least you are honest!

The news media has a saying "If it bleeds, it leads"! (Or in other words, most people also want such news stories - that is why they get bigger ratings showing these things.)

Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM

4,081 posts, read 4,672,977 times
Quote:
Maybe a defense mechanism..? Because when communities of people are being victimized, although you may feel a temporary sense of relief, the injustice that happens can also some day happen to you too if it further escalates and no legal action is taken to prevent harmful circumstances.

Ignorance isn't always bliss.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:02 PM

10,814 posts, read 5,516,854 times
Could be schadenfreude
Schadenfreude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
or merely the recognition & relief of "wow, I'm so glad that (at least this time) that wasn't me"
(whether it's being swept away by a flood, crushed in a building collapse, eaten by an animal, or shot by a human).

I live near a hospital, and I hear the distinctive sound of the medical transport helicopter arriving & leaving every so often.
I can't help but to think each time something along the lines of "one day that may be me, but it's not me right now, so..."
It's being aware of death as an ever-present possibility (and eventually, it will get us all),
yet trying to derive what enjoyment and cheer there is in still being alive in the current moment.

It's a mental habit to cultivate thinking "it could be worse", which might make one feel more fortunate,
in contrast to the sometimes hard-to-resist idea that "it could be better".
Paying attention to that perspective (tragedy befalling others) could be the opposite of comparing oneself to people who seem exceedingly well-off,
which is likely to depress one if one hasn't those sorts of resources/gifts/luck.
Watching "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" (aspirational media showcasing "winners") seems as if it would only make most folks feel worse.

Seems like a strategy for filtering/interpreting/reframing content, a coping mechanism for handling life's fragility, with possible reasonable/rational motives behind it.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:25 PM

14,309 posts, read 9,975,815 times
Quote:
Horror author Stephen King once said words to the effect that his job is to put his characters through the wringer so that you, the reader, think your life seems pretty good by comparison. The waking horror show that often constitutes the news programming, probably serves a similar purpose.

Like anything, taken to an extreme (snuff sites, and other sources of prurient interest concerning gore and mayhem) it is sick. You are not getting off on it, though, you are simply counting your blessings. Seems fine to me. Of course it only works until something tragic happens to you.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:10 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,284,359 times
Quote:
Sociopath maybe? Coz you have no compassion for their situation. Me, I feel sad. But to feel joy for the suffering of others....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology