Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,276,215 times

Advertisements

Yes do chew yourself out when making mistakes... But also compliment yourself when you do good stuff!

You are fine doing both.

(I yell at myself when I do silly things. Like going to the grocery store for milk, come home, and leave the milk in the car. I did that in the winter... the next morning when I realized what I had done, the milk was refrigerator cold - no problem.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I notice when I make a mistake sometimes I yell at myself and call myself names. Does anyone know if this is more normal then I suspect or does this simply create more stress?
No, it's not healthy. It a very bad of going about it. It's completely okay to be angry with yourself at times but then you must find out a better way to deal with your anger or dissapointment ,you can channelize that anger in much better ways. Be patient and understand yourself where you are going wrong and work on it quietly.

Calling yourself names is not a good thing, don't do that. It won't do you any good in the long run.If you continue doing this it will reduce your confidence and also your self esteem, you wouldn't want that right.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,938,393 times
Agree with all the other posters here. It's not healthy to berate yourself or call yourself names. If I find myself doing it, I make a conscious effort to stop, forgive myself for whatever I'm upset with myself for, and find the lesson to be learned from the situation.

A good rule of thumb is you should be as kind and respectful to yourself (if not better) as you are to others.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:45 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,749,119 times
It's normal enough, but not healthy and not helpful. Kicking yourself around like a football is not going to help you in any way.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:16 PM

588 posts, read 956,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
I don't think so.

We all have our own internal conversations. I recently heard something about our internal conversations and how we speak to ourselves. Basically, if a good friend made a mistake would you call them stupid, a loser, etc? Probably not, so then why do we do it to ourselves? It stuck a chord with me. Hopefully, you will be kinder to yourself. We all have to work on forgiving ourselves for our mistakes. It does no good to berate yourself. Instead, yeah I made a mistake, I'll do better next time.
I agree. I too have read that individuals should treat themselves as if they were their own best friends. Talk to yourself as you would a friend. Be gentle with oneself.

It makes sense when you think about it. Calling yourself an idiot- which I'm guilty of- can't be good for your self-esteem.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:40 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,951,278 times
Back in my academic days, my first undergrad and post grad days, there would be a warning scenario:

"LISTEN TO ME! If you don't pull up, you're going to crash!".

Things were serious, I was deluding myself, and I needed to correct the course. Having that reminder around was no doubt important................but I haven't heard it for years.

And yet, looking at some things, perhaps I should.

The thing is that back then it was involved in a situation where that was everything; but now, I have learned that most situations, even if they go very bad, are not the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology