Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times

Advertisements

There are certainly traumatic events that might shape one's adult sexuality, and if you truly feel that your upbringing is affecting your sex life, you should absolutely work that out with someone who is qualified to help you process your feelings and come up with some different skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 01:54 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Absolutely. Religion as well can have a tremendous toll on how a person views dating and relationships.

In regards to their upbringing, having sisters, seeing their parents relationships, other siblings relationships, etc. can have a strong impact.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:49 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
I couldn't fit everything in the title of the question, but anyway, do you think the way a guy is raised by his parents, family, or the type of friends he has growing up in childhood, early childhood social experiences and also like especially elementary and middle school years, all have a huge impact on determining how his dating life/sex life is gonna be? on whether or not he will have success with girls in high school or college, success as in getting a girlfriend/having a girlfriend and losing virginity, because it seems from looking at forums across the Internet, there are a lot of guys well into their 20's and even 30's who have either never had a girlfriend or still a virgin, and they just seem to lack the approaching skills, social-skills and conversation-skills, flirting skills that are essential in order for a guy to get a girlfriend, and a lot of these guys that are virgins or never had a girlfriend before are kinda socially-awkward, or just passive around girls they are attracted to, is the way guys are raised cause social-awkwardness, childhood social experience?

As for approaching skills, social-skills and conversation-skills, flirting skills, are these really skills that can be learned, a guy can learn this? because it seems to me the overwhelming vast majority of guys are naturals when it comes to attracting girls or getting a girlfriend, it's like knowing how to approach and talk to girls in order to get a girlfriend is instinctively common sense for them, it's like they were literally born with "game" in order to be successful in the dating/relationship/sexual world, since the overwhelming vast majority of guys have their first girlfriend in their teenage years or just definetly by early 20's, were these guys born with "game", born knowing how to be confident and talk to girls as human beings, not put them on a pedestal, get to know them as an actual person, overall, just know how to attract them? or did they just go through trial and error at an earlier age or were they raised, brought up the right way by their family, parents, like did their Dad's teach them, or brothers, Uncles or some other male role model? since some guys grow up living with a single Mom and some of them turn out great socially with girls dating-wise, or they had good childhood social experiences socializing?

Overall what would you say are factors?
Personal history or family has little if any influence dating and your sex life. Appearance and nice looks will be the major force determining your social life. The most backward, shy and socially unskilled person will be approached by the opposite sex if they are attractive.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:50 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Personal history or family has little if any influence dating and your sex life. Appearance and nice looks will be the major force determining your social life. The most backward, shy and socially unskilled person will be approached by the opposite sex if they are attractive.
Only if you are a woman since guys have to be the initiators

Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Yes, absolutely. Your upbringing affects everything, not just your dating life.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:48 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiLover217 View Post
Only if you are a woman since guys have to be the initiators
Who told you that?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,034 times
Quote:
Who told you that?
Well duh, men approaching women is way more common, happens way more frequently then the other way around

Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 PM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Not true. Good-looking men and women say their shyness or other factors hold them back. It just isn't so black and white as some people think.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think boys and girls should spend more time doing activities together starting around 11 or 12. I think they should go to summer camps together, hike together, boat together, etc., instead of being segregated, like the Scouts program. This whole mentality of boys and girls being alien species to each other needs to end.
I TOTALLY agree with you. Where I grew up, boys and girls were segregated from each other. I went to an all boys' school, and girls went to a different campus of the same school. I had absolutely no female friends growing up (and not too many male friends either for that matter). It seriously screwed me up. I didn't even begin to understand women until I was well into my mid-20s. My attempts to be gentlemanly and respectful were interpreted as non-interest, snobbery, or even rudeness. My parents, and society in general where I grew up, had given me the completely wrong impression about women. I didn't even know jack sh** about the concepts of wooing and dating. I just didn't know any better - it was how I had been trained and it was very difficult for me to even identify the aspects of my behavior that were turning women away, much less changing them.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 PM

346 posts, read 351,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not true. Good-looking men and women say their shyness or other factors hold them back. It just isn't so black and white as some people think.

Hasn't held me back. Though I'm introverted, not shy. When you're quiet and good looking, it's mysterious. Anyone else, it's creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology