Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times

Advertisements

I like the feeling that it's pointless, conversely. It's very little pressure, so I just do me and what I enjoy and feel is responsible. Travel, live with as small a financial footprint as possible, help others if I know how to, spend time with people I like....work sometimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 PM

104 posts, read 153,005 times
It depends on what phase of my life I'm in...multi-purposed

Old 09-01-2014, 05:22 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Hi,

You know like U2 sings, 'I still haven't found what 'm looking for'.

Do you feel that life is senseless and has no meaning? I feel that way most of the time all my life. It's terrible. Any sense in life can’t be found. Is that a mental disorder of what? Should I be treated by some physician?
A person either creates a meaning for themselves or they borrow others' ideas. Many people embrace the meaning of life which their religion provides for them. My meaning of life: finding happiness. My mother's meaning of life: taking care of others, being needed. My aunt's - serving God as much as you can. Someone else's - being pleasing to God. Someone else's - having a family and take care of them. Some people don't think about meaning of life so it doesn't matter to them if it exists or not.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Since otherwise there is a lack of willpower, no desire to come though all the troubles, to endure all the difficulties. Just a destructive desire to sleep, eat, and do nothing else.
You shouldn't have to do anything since you didn't ask to be here. If you want to spend all day sleeping, eating, and doing not much else -- that should be perfectly fine. The idea that we as humans have to prove our worth by going to school, getting good jobs, acquiring assets, etc. seems absurd to me. I mean, if you have dreams and ambitions and goals, by all means, work to acquire those things. But not everyone feels obligated to take life that seriously, because in the end, we are all going to fall off the same cliff. And once we fall, nothing we've ever accomplished, experienced, built, or amassed is going to follow us. So, with that realization, it's hard to take life seriously. So maybe it's ok to be 'lazy' or unmotivated. Maybe. But I do realize that it takes money to live a life of leisure ( at least comfortably), so you'd have to be able to finance that lifestyle somehow, and that generally means joining the workforce (i.e, become a wage slave).

Old 09-02-2014, 02:06 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Since otherwise there is a lack of willpower, no desire to come though all the troubles, to endure all the difficulties. Just a destructive desire to sleep, eat, and do nothing else.
If you're depressed, then yes, you have no desire to do those things. But a functioning, mentally healthy person has interests, people and causes they care about, activities that give them joy, etc. Most difficulties pale in comparison to these things.

But if you can't find any pleasure in anything, then it is time to see a therapist and see if either therapy or meds, or a combination thereof, will help boost you out of your funk.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
I think that struggle tends to lend purpose and meaning to life... and the satisfaction of having achieved something.

But in the overall scheme of things, it doesn't really matter if you achieve something or nothing, if you live a happy or miserable life, if you're healthy or sick, etc.

But I think it's probably best to work towards making other people less miserable.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:08 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Smile See a Therapist and Discuss

Quote:
Hi,

You know like U2 sings, 'I still haven't found what 'm looking for'.

Do you feel that life is senseless and has no meaning? I feel that way most of the time all my life. It's terrible. Any sense in life can’t be found. Is that a mental disorder of what? Should I be treated by some physician?
Origin of Symmetry,

Fascinating song to select. You may or may not have read through Song Meanings to realize that Bono asked the same question.

I'd encourage you to talk to a counselor or therapist who can safely discuss your question in more depth. Be sure to let that person know how you feel on an average day.

I wish you the best

MSR

Old 09-14-2014, 02:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I believe we all have a purpose, big or small. Haven't figured out what mine is, though, and am no longer curious. I just try to live right.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 AM

128 posts, read 201,761 times
after years , i chased money to be rich as a life purpose, but then you realize life is about sharing things, having a partner and having kids, its a good feeling to raise kids

Old 09-18-2014, 06:19 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
There is no meaning at all. We exist simply because we can. Our evolutionary purpose is to survive and reproduce and die.

On a more positive note, if you have a net positive impact on the world, those around you, or even a single person, your life has a purpose. In ex long run we are all dead anyways, so there is no point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology