Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I probably saved my life being a strict vegetarian for over 15 years....no eggs or anything made with eggs.
Now, I should check my arteries and cholesterol...I will.

I saw a PBS and remember one sentence..."Cows are killing us from their graves."

I'm cutting back, and certainly buy grass fed...and the less fat the better....on org chicken, also.

I am and look so much healthier now.
My blood type is good with meat.
OT, but out of curiosity, why are eggs considered bad? My daughter recently went vegan, and I've always figured I'll end up a lacto-ovo vegetarian because as I get older I think of the animals more and it bothers me, but I don't feel as if I'm harming a chicken by eating eggs. As a matter of fact, I get eggs when I can from a place near me that has its chickens running around in a pasture. They look pretty happy and not overpopulated as they would be if all their eggs were fertilized and became chickens.

Same with dairy. If the cows are not mistreated, what's wrong with taking their milk?

I have a coworker who is a Jain, a religion where they have reverence for all life and won't even kill bugs. He told me that they believe it's beneficial to the cow to take her milk. On the other hand, he won't eat potatoes or root vegetables because you kill the plant by taking the root.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
It's hard to know if your facebook friends were truly being mean-spirited, or just teasing you a bit. Unless these people are going on and on about it, I'd just try to have a sense of humor about it. There's humor in just about every situation, IMO, and many friendships include a bit of teasing.
A response of great common sense. Much ado about nothing in the OP.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:34 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
How does NOT doing something threaten someone? I simply don't understand that kind of mentality.
You wouldn't believe the reactions I've gotten when I'm at some kind of dinner or party, and I politely decline alcohol. Some people really light into you, as if you're making a statement about them, a condemnation. Some people are extremely defensive and insecure. Humans are quite a mixed bag, and can be completely irrational.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:37 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OT, but out of curiosity, why are eggs considered bad? My daughter recently went vegan, and I've always figured I'll end up a lacto-ovo vegetarian because as I get older I think of the animals more and it bothers me, but I don't feel as if I'm harming a chicken by eating eggs. As a matter of fact, I get eggs when I can from a place near me that has its chickens running around in a pasture. They look pretty happy and not overpopulated as they would be if all their eggs were fertilized and became chickens.

Same with dairy. If the cows are not mistreated, what's wrong with taking their milk?

I have a coworker who is a Jain, a religion where they have reverence for all life and won't even kill bugs. He told me that they believe it's beneficial to the cow to take her milk. On the other hand, he won't eat potatoes or root vegetables because you kill the plant by taking the root.
There's still a belief (despite it being discredited in recent years) that the cholesterol in eggs, meat, dairy etc. is bad for you and causes heart disease when it appears to be that heart disease is more common due to inflammation caused from other sources in our diet, such as heavily processed foods with highly refined sugar or sugar substitutes, etc. The fat and cholesterol found in meat, eggs, and dairy like butter (especially when they're free ranging, pasture raised, and all that), as well as in plant based foods like avocados, coconut (oil) and nuts or nut oils, can actually be good for you. We now have a better understanding of the difference between good, and not good cholesterol and that the former helps keep the latter in check, and that avoiding it altogether can cause more problems than it is intended to prevent.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Being a vegetarian is the gastronomic equivalent of being an atheist in a religious area. They feel like there's something "wrong" with you and by their own, internal belief, that you feel there is something "wrong" with them, regardless of what you say.

Those people are not really your friends--they're acquaintances. Don't let anyone sway you from your beliefs--regardless of what they are.

Remember: EVERYBODY is somebody's "weirdo". Those of you who think you're "normal"? Yep. There's someone out there who thinks you're weird.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:

I agree with dairy and eggs IF the cows are not mistreated. However, dairy cows are often mistreated in our factory farming system. If you know someone with a local farm and well-treated animals, I see nothing wrong with it.

Same with egg-laying hens. They are treated like shyte in most factory farming operations - but if you know that small farmer with happy hens, I think that's fantastic!

PS; My son is a vegetarian who continues to eat eggs and cheese and I wish I could find those local farms.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:38 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I first became a vegetarian at 13 and heard *all* the jokes through high school.

Since I was pregnant with my second child I have gone on and off being vegetarian several times.

Now at 39 - after many years of eating very little meat anyway - I've decided to stop eating meat again. I am doing it as much as for ethical and environmental reasons as for health. I DO NOT badger people about eating meat, not a member of PETA, don't post cruelty videos on FB, etc. I am not an in-your-face or judgmental vegetarian, and I never have been.

I posted on FB that I was looking for new meatless recipes, and almost immediately 3 old friends post the whole "my favorite vegetarian meal is steak," pictures of bacon, etc. rigmarole. Ha ha, hilarious. I mean, really? We are all in our late 30's-40's and it's 2014; being vegetarian is very common now.

So, why do some people still think that mocking vegetarianism is funny?
First, I would question the level of 'friendship'.

I believe that derogatory statements made against vegetarians and vegans are based on a combination of shame, guilt, denial, ignorance and stupidity.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:43 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,151 times
Who cares? It doesn't matter. I've been a vegetarian for over 8 years now and have heard it all too. You know my response? "F-off." End of story.

I don't give a sh!it what anyone says, thinks or feels about the choices I make for my life as I make them for MYSELF and not anyone else. I don't give them a second thought.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
OT, but out of curiosity, why are eggs considered bad?
They aren't.
But back then we didn't have the free range eggs available.
Don't ask...I love eggs.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Who cares? It doesn't matter.
I've been a vegetarian for over 8 years now and have heard it all too.
You know my response? "F-off." End of story.

I don't give a sh!it what anyone says, thinks or feels about the choices
I make for my life as I make them for MYSELF and not anyone else.
I don't give them a second thought.
You ARE a Goddess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology