Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 AM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times

Advertisements

I still think of an egyptian goddess first, too bad it is known for evil now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:08 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Have to keep in mind the word Members of IsIs do not call their organization such. We get that as the result of an acronymn formed in the Translation. People named Isis have no need to change their names. It is not the same as the acronymn ISIS which is not the same as the Arabic "Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham" which the media transtated to the "Islamic State of Iraq and Syria" then for simplicity used the acronym ISIS.

I guess the media finds it is easier for Westerners to remember ISIS than to remember "Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham"

Actually al-Sham is Arabic for "The Levant" not for Syria. The translation should be "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant"

with the proper acronym being ISIL. But I guess the media found ISIS to be more catchy. I mean who would take a movement pronounced as "Is ill" seriously?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:38 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Not if the Goo-Goo Dolls had made a song with that title.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:58 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Every person with a certain name expands the definition of what people with that name are capable of. When we throw the name Isis in the trash can because of a bunch of hotheaded religious phreaks, well, at that point the glory of ancient Egypt has tasted asphalt and the terrorists have won.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:12 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
There's a Hispanic guy in my town who's first name is Iran. Everyone asks him about his name. He's not planning on changing it.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:40 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
ISIS harder than water in the winter.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:51 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
ISIS harder than water in the winter.
GROAN

People have been banned for less.

OK I plead guilty, I laughed.

Good pun.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:31 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Have to keep in mind the word Members of IsIs do not call their organization such. We get that as the result of an acronymn formed in the Translation. People named Isis have no need to change their names. It is not the same as the acronymn ISIS which is not the same as the Arabic "Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham" which the media transtated to the "Islamic State of Iraq and Syria" then for simplicity used the acronym ISIS.

I guess the media finds it is easier for Westerners to remember ISIS than to remember "Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham"

Actually al-Sham is Arabic for "The Levant" not for Syria. The translation should be "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant"

with the proper acronym being ISIL. But I guess the media found ISIS to be more catchy. I mean who would take a movement pronounced as "Is ill" seriously?
While ISIL is a more accurate name, it's not as cool and menacing. ISIS sounds like an organization that James Bond would fight. ISIL sounds like a vaginal itch cream.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Isis was a ancient Goddess of Egypt. The name Isis means "Throne". Her headdress is a throne. As the personification of the throne, she was an important representation of the pharaoh's power. The pharaoh was depicted as her child, who sat on the throne she provided. Her cult was popular throughout Egypt, but her most important temples were at Behbeit El-Hagar in the Nile delta, and, beginning in the reign with Nectanebo I (380–362 BCE), on the island of Philae in Upper Egypt.

It also is the name of the Islamist State of Iraq which is now know to be a force of evil in our country.

In our histories past, we have taken words that were neutral like the last name of Hitler which one will be hard pressed to find someone using as a last name.

We've also changed patriotic gestures like the Bellamy Salute named after originally composed by Fransis Bellamy in 1892 and formally adopted by Congress as the pledge in 1942. The official name of The Pledge of Allegiance was adopted in 1945. which was used to salute the American flag while saying the Pledge of Allegence to our flag. Because of the similarity between the Bellamy salute and the Nazi salute, developed later, the United States congress instituted the hand-over-the-heart gesture as the salute to be rendered by civilians during the Pledge of Allegiance and the National anthem in the United States, instead of the Bellamy salute.
Pledge of Allegiance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also the ancient symbol of the swastika which is a symbol of prosperity and good fortune is widely distributed throughout the ancient and modern world. The word is derived from the Sanskrit svastika, meaning “conducive to well-being.” It was a favourite symbol on ancient Mesopotamian coinage. In Scandinavia the left-hand swastika was the sign for the god Thor’s hammer. The swastika also appeared in early Christian and Byzantine art (where it became known as the gammadion cross, or crux gammata, because it could be constructed from four Greek gammas [ Γ ] attached to a common base), and it occurred in South and Central America (among the Maya) and in North America (principally among the Navajo).
swastika (symbol) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

The history of the United States seems to rewrite history by outlawing words that are politically incorrect because they represent evil and may cause uncomfortable feelings for individuals when hearing those words which to me seems to be an act of surrender or at least acquiescense to the presence of evil bullying.

Will the word "Isis" be thrown in the trash pile of history also so we can protect the thoughts and feelings of the future generations because of another example of something good has been perverted to something evil ?
In modern pagan belief, she is also a form of the Mother Goddess who is honored and revered. I detest these murderers for defacing her name. You don't throw out the word, you don't let the concept be coopted. You honor the one who was stolen from by honoring Her name.

I have a little half grown kitten who is solid black but has significant siamese heritage from her blue green eyes to her disposition. She was rescued from under the back part of the house, where I had to open the plumming access and meow and move a little closer to lure her out. But I went out with my big dog the next morning after no success and when she heard my voice she pranced right out and right to me and I'm her beloved mommy now. She looks like the Egyption statue of a cat. So I named her Isis as an honor since She was blessed to be so brave and strong. No, my cat stays Isis. She has been a Mother Goddess for longer than these criminals have existed and she will outlast them.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
My boyfriend did from Allen Keida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology